XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ

These instructions will help you install the XF luggage compartment side net accessory (part no. C2Z21494), which is available through Jaguar dealers for under $30 and fits all XF’s through at least 2012. The accessory comes with no instructions, so you’re on your own to figure it out. Taking my time, the installation took me about an hour.

First, I didn’t think this was even meant for my car because the metal frame didn’t quite match the contours of the side of the trunk – but it is. You might need to bend one or both sides a bit. The side that is more angled is the front. Once I bent the metal frame by hand a bit, I could see that it would fit.

Installation involves making two holes for the bottom plastic clips, and two holes for the plastic grommets into which you slip the ends of the frame. But figuring out where to make the holes go is the tricky part.

1. Remove the net from the frame. This will prevent the net from pulling the frame inward and fighting with you as you position the frame. Look at the photo below to see how the frame needs to be installed. The bottom is pretty easy as all you need to do is to get it straight. Using a tailor’s marker (or white chalk), mark two spots on the bottom for the clips. These two should be the same distance to the edge of the carpeted trunk liner side panel.

2. At this point, you should remove the plastic trunk edge finisher by turning the three plastic faux screws counterclockwise while lifting them. They’re not real screws, so you can’t simply unscrew them.

3. Next, remove the trunk floor mat. This will require fold down the rear seat backrests to access the plastic plugs that hold the mat in place at its front edge (see the photo of the trunk mat out of the car – the holes are where the plastic plugs are inserted). Removing the plastic plugs is best done using a small crow bar that has a tip that you would use to remove nails. See the photo of the plugs and both a medium and small crow bar that I used. I did this the first time I vacuumed my trunk so that I could remove the trunk mat, and never reinstalled the plastic plugs. That way, I can just slip the mat out and clean it outside of the car.

4. Remove the two plastic plugs at the top edges of the carpeted trunk liner, and unhook the liner from under the rubber weather stripping. Lift up on the bottom of the liner and poke holes using an awl where you made marks.

5. Make the bottom holes bigger by poking them with a Phillips screw driver while lifting the liner with one hand. Then, use a rotary hasp (as shown in the photo) to make the holes even bigger. Be careful to lift up the liner so you don’t hit anything on the other side. You might want to use a piece of wood to lift up the liner from the trunk bottom. Use the hasp from both the outside and the backside of the liner to get a nice smooth hole. Install the clips by getting the edge of the clip into the hole then turning clockwise (this requires strong fingers). Pop the frame into the clips and push the liner back into its normal position. Using my photos as your guide, mark the location for the two grommets with the tailor’s marker.

6. At this point, you need to decide whether you want to make the holes for the grommets with the liner still in the car, or on your workbench. Remember, the grommets require a smooth hole that is about 3/8” in diameter. I chose to remove the liner and work on my workbench. To do this, you need to remove two more plastic plugs from behind the right rear seatback. You can then remove the entire liner and work on it on your workbench.

7. Once you have the grommets in place, reinstall the net onto the frame, and then install the frame into the grommets. The rear part goes in first, then the front, then you clip the bottom onto the bottom clips.

8. Now put everything back. The best way to reinsert the large plastic plugs that you removed is to use a rubber mallet.

I also took a photo of the wires and electronics that hide behind the trunk liner.

Attached Thumbnails Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-xf-trunk-net-1.jpg   Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-xf-trunk-net-2.jpg   Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-xf-trunk-net-3.jpg   Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-xf-trunk-net-4.jpg   Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-img_4368.jpg  

Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-img_4377.jpg   Instructions for installing luggage compartment side net FAQ-img_4369.jpg  

Last edited by Long Islander; 09-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Long Islander:
GGG (09-08-2012), kkurulak (11-26-2017), Raven 2010 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Good post.

Advised reading for anyone before drilling the liner.

Graham

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of instructions I got from Mick @ Niello Jag. I will see if I can get them scanned or take a pic and post it.

They are better than nothing, but not complete, they leave some things out

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice post Long Islander and thanks for sharing the write up.

I've added this to the FAQ / HOW TO section.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar Fitting Instructions

I've managed to find a copy of Jaguars fitting instruction for side netting.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
190071.pdf (812.9 KB, 502 views)
The following users liked this post:
kkurulak (11-26-2017)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Thats a lot of work for a little net!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jaguar XF Luxury '' Ristricted performance'' and Car is on safe mode

Hi Everyone ,
I bought Jaguar XF Luxury Model 2010 , when i bought it drives lovely then I parkeup my car for one week went on holidays, and when i start the car it start well but soon after 2 mints of drive its went on limp mode/safe mode showing the light on dashboard '' Ristricted performance'' and after 10 mints showed engine management light I dont know whats going on, few Mechanic says its turbi fault, some says it could be fuel filter , and finally one mechanic said its could be leak problem he advice me for smoke test, secondly mechanich dont know that this car have one turbo or twin turbo,

Can anyone help me out what to do plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Yes you need start your own thread. This one is about trunk nets.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Learning the basics of English spelling and grammar up to the level of a seven year old would be helpful too. After that you can tell us your query, since I can't really find one.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Firstly get a new battery. If you have problems after leaving it then it’s most likely the low battery throwing lots of random codes

Secondly, please please find a mechanic that knows the car. Not necessarily a dealer but an Indy who knows jaguar. Your car has no turbos. No jags of that era have a turbo. They have never made a 5L turbo. The earlier XFs could be supercharged but from the description yours is not. Only the small 2.0 on the newer XF is a turbo. So your mechanic has no idea at all...

Old 11-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Just to add. If it’s a diesel that’s a different story again and they do have turbos.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

And if the mechanic is talking about turbos on a 2010 model then it will be the 3.0 diesel which does have twin turbos (I know coz I owned one!).