XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Intake / Filter options for 09 Supercharged? Mina coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Intake / Filter options for 09 Supercharged? Mina coming soon

Hi all,

I am going to add the Jaguar XF Performance Exhaust and the Supercharger pulley.

I was wondering what my options for intakes or filters are.

Mina gallery is testing 1 now, but doesn't know when exactly it will be released.

Any other brands, options, are k&n filters the best for these 4.2 S/C motors? Or other filter options?

Thanks!

BTW anyone have the performance exhaust? $825 bucks isn't bad, wish I could hear how it sounds

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the Mina pulley and exhaust... Getting installed in the next few days. PM me your email addy and I can fwd you the sound clip I have of it. Also, Chris at Mina said they were a long way away from finishing the intake.

The following users liked this post:
KamilJay (09-23-2013)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a custom exhaust and the Mina pulley installed a few weeks ago.. The guy that crafted the exhaust installed a K&N with it..

Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the Mina exhaust, sounds AWESOME!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
I got a custom exhaust and the Mina pulley installed a few weeks ago.. The guy that crafted the exhaust installed a K&N with it..
Hey Randy,

How do you like the pulley?.. Is it really worth the bucks?... Was it a hard install.. I had a pulley upgrade installed on my 98 Grandprix GTU and it really made a difference along with the flow master exhaust. One of the best investments I ever made to that car.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
How do you like the pulley?.. Is it really worth the bucks?... Was it a hard install..
Took about 100 miles for the ECU to adjust to it, but i love it, and yes, it was worth it! I had my local mechanic do the install. he said it was a bear to get the old pulley off - ended up having to cut/rip/tear it off.. New one went on 'like butter' ..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM

randy do you have k&n filters?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

You have to be very carefull on the dual filtered jaguars. Jag found out the hard way that they can creat air flow imbalances between the left and right backs and cause fueling issues. They now come as matched sets pertaining to the same date of manufacture to stop the airflow issues...so that could be a very big chance to take $$$ wise if you have this issue after installing expensive lifetime filters and then have to get rid of them

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jackals
randy do you have k&n filters?
Yes..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default K&N Filters

I have the K&N filters on my 2010 XF. So far all is good. Jag has been to dealer and they have not mentioned any concern over the filters (I have K&N sticker on housing).

Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Manosteel said he didn't feel a difference in power with k&ns but sound wise went a notch louder.

Has anyone else felt an increase with the k&ns?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Butt dynos are not that sensitive. Go dyno your car and get a base line. That swap in the filter and hard reset the battery and do a couple more pulls. K&n quarantee increases. It might only be 5hp, but they list what you should get with a guarantee. So read what they guarantee adn how

Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Butt dynos are not that sensitive. Go dyno your car and get a base line. That swap in the filter and hard reset the battery and do a couple more pulls. K&n quarantee increases. It might only be 5hp, but they list what you should get with a guarantee. So read what they guarantee adn how

Based on what you wrote before are k&n filters safe and work well with the 4.2L 09 supercharged cars?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure about the performance value of my K&N filters in the XF. It's probably marginal. I suspect it depends on the car. There's a huge difference on my Land Cruiser and a lesser difference on my 911 although that topic is hotly disputed within the Porsche communiity. XF has the least amount of improvement. But my personal experience has generally been good in regard to K&N filters. Anytime you increase cold air flow into the engine there should be a performance improvement - just a question of how much.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
You have to be very carefull on the dual filtered jaguars. Jag found out the hard way that they can creat air flow imbalances between the left and right backs and cause fueling issues. They now come as matched sets pertaining to the same date of manufacture to stop the airflow issues...so that could be a very big chance to take $$$ wise if you have this issue after installing expensive lifetime filters and then have to get rid of them
Brutal, do you know whether this car uses Mass Air Flow Sensors and if so, what kind? There have been many reports of MAFS contamination when oiled-type filters have been used in BMWs (which have Bosch hot wire MAFS). When this happens, no codes are thrown but the performance can be significantly degraded. What's worse, it happens gradually over time, so you don't notice the loss until one day you have trouble getting ahead of that Prius in the other lane. For that reason, I steered clear of using any oiled filters in my M5.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Brutal, do you know whether this car uses Mass Air Flow Sensors and if so, what kind? There have been many reports of MAFS contamination when oiled-type filters have been used in BMWs (which have Bosch hot wire MAFS). When this happens, no codes are thrown but the performance can be significantly degraded. What's worse, it happens gradually over time, so you don't notice the loss until one day you have trouble getting ahead of that Prius in the other lane. For that reason, I steered clear of using any oiled filters in my M5.

My question as well to what you said. I know and have had other performance cars where the oiled filters would screw up the maf sensor.

Is that the case in this car with what we use?

If so I will not use k&ns and just change the OEM filters regularly.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jackals
based on what you wrote before are k&n filters safe and work well with the 4.2l 09 supercharged cars?
look guys i run k&n's in everything i own and even made a sealed box of the throttlebody that seals to a rectangualr opening under the cowl induction hood on my custom suburban with a nos'd, multiport 383 engine to draw cold air outside the engine compartment. My comement on the dual filtered jags is be carefull. We had issue 2 years ago on the dual filtered cars that cause air flow imbalances enough to cause metering issues with the twin mass air flow sensors(yes there sre 2 just past each filter) jaguar fixed this by changing air filters to same day date of manufactur. The differances in air flow between filter fabric day to day was enough to cause air flow imbalances that the car was trying to adjust for. This is why i said to be carefull about this. When you get air filter at jaguar they come in matched set and single box so you no longer have to worry about this.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Am with brutal here, I also have used the k&n filters for long, and am very satisfied with them if u use them with care. I think the k&n will also work just out of the box with this dual airbox system, but it gets trickier when they become dirty and you need to clean & re-oil them, as the chances of flow differences between them will have increased.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey you mind emailing me the sound clips of your jaguar also after installing the mina exhaust and pully? kamiljays@yahoo.com

Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Ish
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I swapped over to the K&Ns a few months ago on my 09 S/C. I have been having some idle problems before and after the switchout.

Based on a post here, I cleaned both MAF sensors, and the idle problem went a way for a while, but gradually came back. I cleaned the sensors again, it went away, and so far, has not come back. I'm thinking filter oil contamination from the newly installed filters that took a little time for the excess oil to blow through.

Quick Reply: Intake / Filter options for 09 Supercharged? Mina coming soon