XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Intake manifold gasket change. What I've discovered

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Intake manifold gasket change. What I've discovered

Jaguar XF 4.2 engine. I was having bank one and bank two lean codes. We smoke tested it and smoke was coming from the intake. The lower intakes are metal gaskets that are very readily available and Ford used the same intake manifold gaskets on their Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbirds with a 3.9 so you can save yourself about 50 bucks over Jaguar. These eight separate orange gaskets that you see are not sold separately through Jaguar or Ford because they want you to buy the whole new intake. These are the Upper plenums. Land Rover does offer them separately part# LR006678. If you change the lowers you might as well change the uppers. There is also another part number that I bought because somebody on the forums told me. It was green gaskets with little tabs on the side. Those were wrong for my vehicle. Maybe they fit the older 4.2. engines. I also put a Ford motorcraft water pump PW448 on. The motorcraft water pump is the exact same as the Jaguar only $212 cheaper. Box even said made in the United kingdom. While I was in there we changed a very common coolant hose known to leak. AJ811763 part number. While you have the manifold off you might as well change that. AJ811761 and AJ811766 were also changed. I also had to get a new radiator. I got an aftermarket one. The one from O'Reilly Auto Parts would not work. It doesn't have any ports for oil cooler transmission cooler lines. I also changed the thermostat complete unit. Put a new belt on and ilder pulley.

Went out and bought a new radiator. Didn't want to take the chance with this one. It was very brittle and soft and that's something I want to daily drive.

Here are these eight separate orange gaskets that you have to use a Land Rover part number to be able to get unfortunately Jaguar or Ford do not sell these separately.

I changed the water pump. PW448 is the motorcraft number and it's 104 bucks. The Jaguar one is over 300. Literally the exact same pump made in the exact same factory. Save yourself the money. Also change the thermostat housing unit. Very common problem. I was having my radiator fan stay on after I shut my car off. Figured it was a stuck thermostat. It's never been changed so I just decided to bite the bullet and do it

Here is a very common hose that leaks. It's very easily accessible when you have the intake off. It's $16 on eBay for a OEM part. Aj811763 is the part number..

Here's everything removed. I put a new belt on. Also an idler pulley

Here was the gaskets I was told to order on the forum. As you can see I needed the eight orange ones without the tabs. The orange ones were actually half the price. These little green gaskets were 20 bucks a piece