XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Intake Valve cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
It was a little cold and wet this morning so I didn't have much opportunity to thrash about but it does indeed feel a little peppier, and smoother actually. E85 was over a dollar cheaper than my usual supreme 91. We'll see what the mpg ends up being. So far so good.
Aww I feel so sorry about cold and reain, my heart bleeds ( as this ex-san diegan lives through a brutal 9 degree night....

Your ride sounds awesome, VAP tuned with both pulleys now E85... will be untouchable...

Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes that's what I was thinking. The last 6 digits of my VIN are 54XXX.
Very impressed with your 115K miles. Glad to see it! I am only at 42K on mine.
My vin is 618xx. I wonder if perhaps it was a build option or if it was applied automatically throughout a certain VIN range.

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Aww I feel so sorry about cold and reain, my heart bleeds ( as this ex-san diegan lives through a brutal 9 degree night....
Ha ha, sorry man

Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by panels
Adam,
Just curious, did you notice any "seat of the pants" improvement to justify the time and effort?
i had a couple month downtime back when i did it and on a car that was reasonably new to me in that i had only driven it a couple thousand miles back when i did the intake valve cleaning.
so like Dave says, the butt dyno says "maybe"... but my first drive after reassembly was with a new smaller upper pulley (no tune loaded yet) so not apples to apples
my valves were caked with a thick coating that turned to miserably heavy tar with the chemicals. i cannot believe spraying chemicals into the intake would remove 100k miles of deposits, but who knows and it's logically that it's good for preventative maintenance as was stated
I'll admit, i was expecting a 50hp improvement with how nasty the valves were, but it didn't happen. must be the air gets through and the intake valves aren't the most restrictive element of the air pump that is the 5.0 s/c engine..
to safeguard for the future, i made an oil catch can to fit the tight engine bay. i made it custom out of copper pipe and fittings with copper pan scrubber media stuffed in and a drain on the bottom. I've drained the better part of a quart of fairly nasty liquid out of it, a few ounces at a time over the approx 8,000 miles since installing it. I have no idea if the intake valves have accumulated more deposits or not, but the catch can has prevented all that nastiness from being sucked through the intake.
there are two crankcase pressure valves - the one on passenger side is the high pressure one where most of the oil gets through to the intake. it's the one that connects on rear of pass side head area and routs to the top of the throttle body area. i cut that tube and patched in a catch can.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (09-01-2022)