XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Into the shop she goes...'09 XF/SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Into the shop she goes...'09 XF/SC

So I've had the car for a month now and the following annoyances have popped up. She goes into the dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully most will be covered by what's left on the select cpo warranty.
2009 4.2L supercharged. 55k miles.

-blind spot monitor now completely non functional, right side.
-TPMS randomly freaks out, yet all tires' pressure are equal and at proper levels.
-loud howling/moaning noise (like a pump noise) from front center of engine on cold start at idle when put into D or R. (It goes away in P or N) and once engine warms up. It's not belt slippage. I find it weird that it is only when in gear and only when cold.
-air hissing and hollow "blowing over a bottle top" noise at idle from intake runner (leak?)
-driveline vibration at 70mph-95mph (tires have been road force balanced).
Noticed prior owner had a front control arm replaced...not sure if it is related to that.
-gas cap not opening consistently (seems well documented on forum)
-heated steering wheel stopped heating.
-paddle shifter downshift will not trigger rev matching throttle blip (downshifts like traditional vehicle would) regardless of D/S or track settings.
-dashboard starting to bubble up in three spots.

Any thoughts as to having them look at anything in particular or making certain points? I'm looking forward to seeing how the jaguar dealer experience compares to brands past; I've heard good things...

Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I also have the TPMS issue. Started with showing "one tire not monitored" then switched to "TPMS system not available". Software was updated, sensor in that one tire replaced, another software update and now the entire TPMS module is being replaced.

I heard that people had issues with the shifters if the battery is not at a good charge level, same with the heated steering wheel. It would be worth while to have them check the battery and make sure it is still good and can hold a charge.

The following users liked this post:
Tanman (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Ah, never thought about the battery! It's not had issues starting, but that makes sense if the voltage is low.

Adding to the list:
-3 quick beeps/tones (like an alert) from the cabin as I open the door and sit down in it. But No messages on console or screen.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Are you ever getting that low voltage warning on the dash? Usually if you have the car in Aux but not switched on it will prompt you stating you need to start the car because the battery level is low. When you start it the message goes away (alternator kicks up the voltage) but the battery charge could still be low.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blackcoog:
*Phoenix* (03-05-2014), Tanman (03-11-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 PM

No low voltage warning at all.

Dropped her off this morning after fighting my way through unplowed roads. I am soooo done with this winter and all the snow! Gave them the laundry list of items. The service advisor said he could see the sunroof was wonky as I pulled up. I managed to take a video of the howling pump on startup this morning when I left and showed it to him. The blind spot monitor error was blazing away on the dash by the time I got there, so he got to see that too.

If anything this car has been the most cooperative of any I've owned since it was actually displaying symptoms in the service area (no "could not duplicate issue"). They said it may take a couple day to get everything diagnosed and done. Also said he had to call in to see if the radar blind spot unit was covered by select cpo. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

He did say the dash is not covered because it was trim. I pressed him a little and he did say they saw it a lot, but nothing they could do but replace for $1200. Going to wait on that one I think.

Aside from that, all went smoothly until they told me they didn't have a loaner car (I had set the appointment three days ago, so it's not like they didn't know I was coming). So they said they would pay for an enterprise rental, which unfortunately resulted in a choice of Chrysler minivan or ford fiesta.
I took the minivan but parked it behind my office before my wife saw it (she is so anti minivan that I'm sure she would leave me if she saw me in it). Thankfully we have the GL to use in the meantime and our appointment schedules are such that we can go into the office together the rest of the week.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

$1200 seems like a good price for dash replacement out of warranty.

Tanman (03-11-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

There was a post a while ago about a DIY owner who pulled his own dash and brought it to a upholstery shop. He paid for a 1 month subscription to get access to a online Jaguar Service manual for the How-to. It cost about $100 to remove and re-install the leather at the upholstery shop. I'm going to go that route later this year. My dash let go in a very small spot near the windshield in the center of the dash.

Tanman (03-11-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM

As I look at the dash, there are three "bubbles". One to the back right between the instrument pod and the center speaker. The other two are in front of the passenger seat. They are close to a stitched seam. I wonder, Are there actually two pieces stitched together, or just one piece with top stitching. Maybe it's possible to "inject" some adhesive in through the seam so as not to puncture the smooth top.
I don't know if I'm up for removing the dashboard. I did that once with my old C32 AMG when the vent stepper motors went bad, and it was a truly nightmarish experience.
I may not worry about it yet. For now, the wife hasn't noticed it. But when she does....

Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanman
Maybe it's possible to "inject" some adhesive in through the seam so as not to puncture the smooth top.
If you do it yourself, Velcro liquid adhesive would be excellent for the task. I have used it to patch vinyl awnings and it is flexible as well as impervious to water and sun/heat damage. It adheres to anything that is not porous. It is available in a small tube, but it is messy to handle and sets up rapidly (5 minutes or less depending on conditions). It is fluid enough for injection using a throw away syringe and needle.

Last edited by Jerry S; 03-06-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Tanman (03-11-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tanman
Maybe it's possible to "inject" some adhesive in through the seam so as not to puncture the smooth top.
I have thought about that as well. I'll post a how-to later this year when I attempt to fix it.

Tanman (03-11-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Well it's Saturday and the dealer has not even put it up on the rack for a look. After two days trying to track down the SA, I finally let the Service manager have it. She is claiming a global shortage of parts and bad snow weather attributing to longer than normal delays. Not sure how much I believe that. I reminded her she was the one who gave me the appointment date to bring the car in and it was her SA that set the "two days" expectation - not like I just randomly dropped it off. To pacify me, she took the enterprise minivan rental car back and put me in a dealer XF 3.0 AWD so I could at least travel over the weekend with some style. Supposedly will get an update on Monday.

My impressions of the loaner car which I'm assuming is a little stripped down:
145 miles on the clock.
Obviously not as much power as mine, but it is what I would call adequately powered. Passing in it reminds me of my wife's GL with very linear acceleration.
AWD works well.
Trim is more plastic than leather (dash) and the matte finish of the wood looks a little cheap in my opinion. I was disappointed that the base stereo didn't even have satellite. Also no butt warmer/cooler. No blind spot monitors. And the biggest surprise (as my wife and I loaded up for the weekend) was no navigation! I thought most lux cars came stock with nav. Other than that, I feel right at home in it. The seats, while not as adjustable, are much better as far as support and lateral bolstering.

In retrospect it was probably funny, but
The biggest annoyance is what I figured out was the Eco start/stop function that completely caught me off guard the first time it happened. I was waiting at a left turn light and it "stalled". Alarmed, I do the natural thing and put the car in park and attempted to restart the engine by pushing the start button...which resulted In the gear knob retracting into the console. At this point the light had turned green and everyone behind me was getting impatient and honking. Press the start button again, let the shifter rise, put the car in gear only to have the light turn red again, so I hit the brake and the engine "dies" again. Go throughout the process again (a little faster) but keep my foot on the gas while braking, which in my mind will help to keep the engine running. It does!
Light turns again, soI clear the intersection and do a U turn right back into the dealer parking lot to complain that the car won't stay running. When I pull into the parking space, I stop, and the engine does too...at which point I notice the little green Eco light! "DOH!!!". Locate the button to deactivate it and go on my way!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Finally got a call from the dealer to say they took a look at things:
-Blind spot sensor malfunction was attributed to the wiring that supplies the power to the unit in the bumper rubbing against the body, fraying, and shorting out. Covered by cpo.
-TPMS they could not duplicate, but he upgraded the software for the unit free of charge.
-the howling pump noise could not be duplicated in the shop. He acknowledged the video I took. But explained it didn't help them locate the cause. Told to monitor for reoccurrence.
-hollow blowing noise corrected by tightening the air boxes.
-gas cap not opening could not be duplicated in shop and he (rather boldly) suggested user error and advised to press 1/3 of the way from the left edge to make it actuate the release mechanism.
-sunroof will be removed, cleaned and adjusted (adjustment not covered by cpo) $40.
-heated steering and no rev-match could not be duplicated, however he attributes it to several low voltage codes stored in memory.

Can someone tell me if these charges seem reasonable? Are there dealer specific service issues, or if I can bring to my trusted Indy mechanic to have done?
-battery failed performance test. Dealer wants $350 to replace, install, and supposedly reset a computer system connected to the battery that tells the alternator that the battery has been replaced. (Sears has a battery for $199, my Indy will install for free. But I've never heard of the computer reset issue...anyone????)
-told the power steering fluid was aging and needs to be flushed and replaced for $250
-told the brake fluid was shot and in need of immediate flush and replacement for $200
-vibrations are being caused by the front right and rear left wheels being bent (stupid potholes!!). They want to send them out to be refinished for $250/each.
-the official quote for dashboard replacement as it appeared on the workshop plan was not $1200, but $3750 (!?!?!). That can wait for sure now.

Thoughts? Is the power steering fluid standard stuff, or like a specialized pentosin fluid like I had on the Benz? Is the brake fluid DOT 4 or DOT 5? I've never had a car where burnt brake fluid was an issue. I don't mind spending the money to have things fixed properly, but I refuse to be gouged. I'm also very handy and worked on my cars in the past for many DIY things. Just trying to get a sense of what is reasonable.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For your bent wheels, $250 per wheel seems like a lot to make the wheel true again. I would think the cost would be more along the lines of $100-$130 to repair. Those 20" wheels are notorious for bent rims due to the slim profile tires. Any decent sized pothole will do that unfortunately.

Tanman (03-11-2014)