XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Introduction and a common problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and a common problem

Hi all,

I'm a new XF owner and wondering if I should have stuck to my trusty X-type 2.2D?

On the way home from buying this thirdhand XF 3.0D it went into limp mode with the dreaded whoosing noise. Had similar in the X-type but that was an easy fix split intercooler hose. With this one, a bit of internet research pointed to the intercooler orange seal below the air intake which had indeed popped out. Easy fix - but nope, the problem still exists. I have DTC codes P006A-00 and P00BF-07 showing which refer to mass air correlation and overflow. I can still hear a whooshing noise but it's only under load so impossible to see anything with the bonnet up and someone revving the car. I suspect a split intercooler but from searching on here and elsewhere people say they can see a split quite clearly. This has thrown me a bit as my intercooler has foam padding each side so I'd need to strip that out to see. That doesn't seem gel with what others have said. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance, Ivan

Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Private purchase or from a car dealer? Any recourse - it's a bit much if it failed before you got it home. Did you have an inspection done?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 AM

Private purchase with no recourse unfortunately. There were a few things I already knew and got it very cheap expecting to have to do some work on it. I just wasn't expecting that one though. I'd budgeted £1000 to get it all nicely together but this will cut a big hole in that!

I smoke tested it yesterday and got lots showing down low somewhere on the left side (as you face the car) of the intercooler. I couldn't get it to smoke just by putting smoke into the system as it's not a pressurised smoke tester (disco smoke generator). However, by getting my wife to rev the car whilst puffing the smoke into the intake I could see it smoke where indicated. I couldn't see the exact spot but I'm sure enough to be able to say it is the intercooler (sigh!).
I'm picking one up from the local dealer today for £212 + VAT and hope to get it all fitted by tonight. Luckily I have a fairly well equipped farm workshop and should be able to do it myself though it looks bloody fiddly.

I could have got a really nice low mileage X-type to replace my high mileage one for the same money and saved a lot of headaches. I'm hoping this car will win me over when it's all done, but so far I can't say I'm that impressed.

Please tell me they are far superior to the X-type as I loved that car and thought a "real" Jag would be even better.

Ivan

Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

In my view it's a different world from the X type. I'm sure you'll love it once it's sorted

Assume you have the full workshop manual - you can get the PDF on eBay I think - maybe someone had it linked from the forum a while back too

Sounds like you are able to do a lot yourself which will have the dealer labour costs

For what it's worth mine has been incredibly reliable

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

You can buy a PDF download of the Workshop Manual for not much from here:
Jaguar XF XFR X250 Workshop Manual
I got one for both my old XFS and current XFR, IMHO it is a must have and well worth the small outlay.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I wish they had a PDF for a 2012 XF

Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

They stopped making paper or PDF Workshop Manuals with the 2012 ("facelift") XF, instead you have to go through Topix, a lot more stuffing about.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (02-12-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Default !

Well the car is transformed!

It took about 2 hours to strip out the front of the car and remove the intercooler and only an hour to put it all back together again. I wasted time knocking knuckles and swearing at the lack of space before deciding to remove the front cross member which is only held by eight bolts. With that out of the way the job was relatively easy. I took half a dozen pics and could do a small write up if anyone thinks that's a good idea?

There are still things that need doing to make the car a good one (it's a repaired cat c) but it now goes very well indeed!

Ivan

Old 02-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Always satisfying to fix it yourself.

Congratulations.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad to see you got it sorted out !!! ... You'll love this car once all is fixed properly.... Congrats .

Old 02-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and Bravo!