XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Introduction and a Question Re. Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Introduction and a Question Re. Chrome Trim

I have been lurking for a bit but figured it was time to introduce myself. I am the, relatively, recent new owner of a caviar 2011 XF Premium. I am a former? Audi guy with a fairly track prepped B5 A4 that I am now in the process of parting and selling. I bought the XF a few months back certified from the dealer with 19k miles.

The car came with chrome headlight and taillight trim as well as chrome mirror caps. The trim all appears to be stick on as do the mirror caps. My question is, has anyone ever tried to remove the trim/mirror caps? It really just isn't to my taste and I think it takes away from the looks of the car and makes it seem bigger in a way. If you did remove it, how did you go about doing it? I know the floss trick for debadging cars and imagine that would work on the headlight/taillight trim, but what about the mirror caps? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the car.What color interior? I suspect the floss trick will work but will defer to others with experience. Post some photos if you can and add car to youy signature ( model, color, options)

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum caviarjag,

Congratulations on the XF.

Several members across a number of tech sections prefer the debadged look so if the mirrors can be done, you should get some help.

When you get a minute, pleae follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some details about yourself and your vehicle there for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

The "chrome" is just plastic. I don't think it can be removed from the parts but it is possible to replace some of the parts. Mirror caps are separate parts as the chrome finish is an option on some trim levels. I don't know if these are available separately over here but it is very common to damage mirror caps in Europe due to the very narrow roads so replacement caps are readily available. There are also "black packs" for some Jaguar models which replace plastic chrome with plastic black, availability will be your issue.

The simplest solution is to just have anything you don't want chrome coloured painted by a good body shop. Since it isn't actually chrome at all, but plastic, any body shop can paint it any colour you want. Even if you could somehow peel off the micro coating of "chrome" you'd just be left with an unpainted mess.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
I have been lurking for a bit but figured it was time to introduce myself. I am the, relatively, recent new owner of a caviar 2011 XF Premium. I am a former? Audi guy with a fairly track prepped B5 A4 that I am now in the process of parting and selling. I bought the XF a few months back certified from the dealer with 19k miles.

The car came with chrome headlight and taillight trim as well as chrome mirror caps. The trim all appears to be stick on as do the mirror caps. My question is, has anyone ever tried to remove the trim/mirror caps? It really just isn't to my taste and I think it takes away from the looks of the car and makes it seem bigger in a way. If you did remove it, how did you go about doing it? I know the floss trick for debadging cars and imagine that would work on the headlight/taillight trim, but what about the mirror caps? Thanks in advance.
Welcome and good decision on removing the chrome trim around the lights.

Chrome mirror covers do pop off, i just don't have the guidelines for it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the welcome everyone. i will post a proper intro as soon as I get some good pictures of the car.

Jaguny - the interior is tan.

Jagular - I agree with you that trying to remove the chrome finish from the plastic pieces would be an exercise in both insanity and futility. I am talking about headlight, taillight surrounds, and mirror covers such as these:

Jaguar XF Chrome Headlight Trim Surround
Jaguar XF Chrome Mirror Covers for Jaguar XF

I don't want to remove the finish. Rather I want to remove the whole piece. I will just go with the floss trick on the headlights and taillights, but am unsure if the mirror cover is a stick on over the stock cover or is a snap on piece that needs to be replaced with a black color piece. Thanks again for the info. I can at least get started on the headlights and taillights.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

If the Mirror cover is a stick-on piece, you can remove the original cover with the stick-on cover still on it. Take it inside and heat it with a hair dryer or in hot water. It will be easier to remove it then. Use something like Goof-Off to remove any left on adhesive and then wax the original cover. Put the cover back on the car. I personally like the chrome mirror covers, but they should be the exact OEM replacements.