XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*

Hey guys. So I wanted to make a fairly simple way of mounting an iPad mini without looking gross and "aftermarket-ish" (who wants that? not this guy). I opted off the premium package simply because I just wasn't feeling Jag's nav interface. I feel that over-the-air map updating is the way to go. Plus adding a quality subwoofer was sinch.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and let me know what you think.

First, you'll need some basic school supplies. (i.e. scissors, felt sheet, glue lines, etc. from your local craft shop) damage: [under $7]

Next, (and this hurts a little) is obtaining an Apple Smart cover (with the MAGNETIC spine!!) and separate the spine from the cover. This spine is great. It has a strong magnet and nice felt wrap. [damage ~$30]

Here, I laid down a stripe of 'glue lines' onto to the side of the spine that will adhere to the console right above the cd insert line. This adhesive is very gentle yet strong. Using the iPad helped keep the spine stable when applying the adhesive strips.

This involved some patience. You must take it slow here. I gently held each side with my index fingers and ever so slowly raised it into position above the cd insert hole. You want it to be centered and level! Once you pick your spot. Press firmly and let it settle for 24 hrs. If done right, it'll look very flush and barely noticeable.

I suggest prepping the bottom the iPad Mini's surface with the felt. This way it doesn't scratch any surface on the console.

Run a lighting cable through the cup holders/ash tray. Mine is barely noticeable. I picked up this black L-shaped one to give it a slick look when it's plugged in.

You're done! I absolutely love having this piece of gear below the touch screen. Now you have two and can enjoy many benefits it offers like...

...like Nav (Waze).

...or fancy Nav.

Bluetooth connection to all your media. Very cool

There you have it. There are some drawbacks however. You just have to outweigh them and see what is worth having. What I'm talking about are the functions behind the ipad. Now most functions are controllable through the steering wheel but some like temp control can not. Luckily it's magnetic and the ipad comes on and off very easily. But hey to each their own. Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-2d01c8l.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-2nn1ok.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-2e0uvig.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-vcrymh.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-2gv39dj.jpg  

iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-1zfpw1f.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-c2ser.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-kce3vq.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-dwrocy.jpg   iPad Mini (stock-look) install to '13 XF *HOW TO*-x56tn4.jpg  

Last edited by miketriumphs; 03-29-2014 at 06:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
*Phoenix* (03-29-2014)