XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

iPhone 5 connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My XF is a MY10. My iPhone 5 works well in my car with the adapters. See my post above.

The following users liked this post:
ironghat (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorapp
My XF is a MY10. My iPhone 5 works well in my car with the adapters. See my post above.
Thanks for the quick update.. I guess I need the Scosche charging adapter to support charging.. But I still need to figure out why my iPhone 5 is not recognized.. Time to do some debugging..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey guys, X-Type owner here, I just wanted to let you know that my X has the Jaguar ACM which allows for iPod input via the 30-pin cable. I recently upgraded from the iPhone 4 to a 5 and ran into the same issue. However, I just bought one of those 30-pin to lightning adapters while I was at the Verizon store and to my surprise everything just worked when I connected it to my car's 30-pin cord.

Hopefully there is a way for you guys to get yours working. One thing we X-Type owners discovered is that our ACM's firmware can be updated to a newer, non-Jaguar version that unlocks additional functionality. Perhaps something along those lines would enable you guys to use the iPhone 5 with the XF.

I'm interested in how this turns out as I'm looking to possibly trade in the X-Type for an XF or the rumored new X-Type at some point.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM

I just got my Scosche adpater from Amazon today, and will report findings later this evening.

emaraszek -> Do you know if the XF firmware can be upgraded as well? If so, can you provide the link?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM

I have managed to get my iPhone 5 working, without any further drama. I should have paid more attention to the other replies, as it seems to be relatively straightforward.

Here is a summary of my finding so it is available in one place:

(-> means "connected to")

Jaguar iPod Cable -> iPod Classic
* Music accessible through Jaguar ACM: Yes
* Charges iPod while connected: Yes

Jaguar iPod Cable -> Original Lightening adapter -> iPhone 5
* Charges iPhone 5 while connected: No

Jaguar iPod Cable -> Scosche adapter -> Original Lightening adapter -> iPhone 5
* Charges iPhone 5 while connected: Yes

As mentioned previously by another user, Chinese Lightening adapters bought on eBay/Amazon don't work. It has to be an original Apple Lightening adapter.

The full name of the Scosche adapter is the "Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone". Available on Amazon for US$20. This is required only if you want to charge iPhone 5 while connected.

Hope this is helpful for everyone.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ironghat
I just got my Scosche adpater from Amazon today, and will report findings later this evening.

emaraszek -> Do you know if the XF firmware can be upgraded as well? If so, can you provide the link?
I'm not familiar with the XF ACM but I purchased and installed the X-Type ACM myself. It is a separate device that emulates the CD changer and is activated by selecting the CDC option on the head unit. This ACM has three input options: 30-pin iPod connector, RCA input, and USB input. The USB port also allows you to upgrade the firmware on the device. I simply downloaded the firmware, put it on a flash drive, and plugged it into the USB port. Then you turn the car on, wait a few minutes, and it's done.

The X-Type ACM is simply a Jaguar-branded version of the Dension Gateway 500. Jaguar puts a custom firmware on their version that displays a Jaguar logo on your device's screen when its plugged in, effectively locking the device's functionality. We discovered that there is a more up-to-date version of the generic Gateway 500 so we installed that firmware which unlocks the device screen and charges newer devices. Since I have this "unofficial" firmware on mine, my iPhone 5 worked properly after simply attaching one of Apple's adapters (I personally went with the .2m cable adapter, $39 at the Verizon store).

If any XF owner has installed the ACM as an aftermarket add on, they are probably familiar enough with the system to know whether or not it could be updated to a newer or unofficial firmware. I can look into it, but odds are if the answer was known it would already be on this forum.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ironghat
I have managed to get my iPhone 5 working, without any further drama. I should have paid more attention to the other replies, as it seems to be relatively straightforward.

Here is a summary of my finding so it is available in one place:

(-> means "connected to")

Jaguar iPod Cable -> iPod Classic
* Charges iPod while connected: Yes

Jaguar iPod Cable -> Original Lightening adapter -> iPhone 5
* Charges iPhone 5 while connected: No

Jaguar iPod Cable -> Scosche adapter -> Original Lightening adapter -> iPhone 5
* Charges iPhone 5 while connected: Yes

As mentioned previously by another user, Chinese Lightening adapters bought on eBay/Amazon don't work. It has to be an original Apple Lightening adapter.

The full name of the Scosche adapter is the "Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone". Available on Amazon for US$20. This is required only if you want to charge iPhone 5 while connected.

Hope this is helpful for everyone.
Thanks for the update. I have the iPod cable to lightening adapter setup now. My scosche should be here by the end of the week.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really not sure why there are so many different outcomes from the same cables from various owners. I just bought the apple lightning adapter and plugged it into the jaguar provided iPod cable (which by itself had always charged and played music and controlled songs through car nav screen on 3GS and 4s) BUT it charges my iphone 5 and plays music but not controlled through screen interface. Only control via the phone like when you plug and aux jack in. Are you saying the scosche adapter will fix this? Sounded like others said the acm would work which I assume is the screen interface but didn't charge. I had the opposite????

Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately the issue is complicated by which year XF you have and which model iPhone or iPod you have. The scosche adapter does only one thing, it changes the charging from the older iPhone/iPod voltage to the newer voltage. This only effects your ability to charge your device while plugged in to the iPhone 30 pin cable in the car. To make it more complicated Jaguar changed its interface from the 30 pin iPhone/iPod to USB in MY2012 (not positive of the year). Apple also introduced the lightning connector in the iPhone 5 and the newer iPods. The bottom line is, you may need either the Scosche power adapter and/or the Apple lightning adapter to deal with either or both of these issues depending on which device you have and what model year your XF is. I have an iPhone 5 and a MY2010 XF. I use the power adapter and the lightning adapter together so now I can control my IPhone 5 from the radio and it changes as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Mine is a MY2011 XF SC and iPhone 5.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Having read some of the later posts thought I'd refresh and update...
Mine is a MY2011 pre facelift PL XF. I use the Jaguar Ipod adapter with a genuine Apple 30 pin to flash cable adapter, it works for control and music but will not charge. Also with a iphone 5 USB cable connected to the USB socket I get the message no music folders found and still it will not charge.
The charging problem is not unusual as iPod and early iphone 3 chargers will not charge iPads or iPhone 5 with the relevant lead.
I looked at the SCOSCHE adapter but at £40 it does not look like good value for money there is another one that is the cablejive dockstubz it's only £20 but and uses a micro usb connector for the charging voltage. It is designed for ipad and iPhone 4/4S so it may not work with the iphone 5. This is a common problem not just for Jaguar cars but all cars and ipod/iphone dock systems with 30pin connectors. I shouldn't think it will be long before a chinese manufacturer or a genuine manufacturer makes an interface the problem will always be the chip inside the flash connector be licensed to Apple makes clones and cheap adapters difficult.
As an aside I bought a 30GB USB stick through ebay advertised as compatible with several car makers including Jaguar. I put all my music that I wanted on that and leave it in the car. I have taken it out and added and deleted several times it is still OK. At £20 it was the cheapest and most sensible option.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Looking at this further, I have discovered that using the jaguar supplied iPod cable with the Apple lightning adapter, I can access music from BOTH the jaguar screen and the phone. (before it usually only was allowed from the screen) This is a postiive because sometimes the screen can be clunky so I have a choice of using either. Oh and it charges the phone too.

Again I have a 2011 XF SC with iPhone 5.

I cancelled my Scorsche order because it is not needed for me.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I too can confirm that Jaguar iPod cable -> scosche passport -> lightening adapter works to both charge and allow Nav system control of music for iPhone 5.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And with an iPhone 5 and an MY12, all voice commands using the iPhone's GPS nag apps are routed through a standard lightning to USB cable to the car head unit. This I find very helpful (apart from playing music which can be controlled either on the phone or the car touch screen) since the Jaguar GPS doesn't offer speed camera alerts. I usually end up using the iPhone's GPS (Navigon is my current favourite) plugged in and left in the centre console, and it offers better instructions and more quickly. I rely on the Jaguar GPS for a better 'world view', since its strength is in the ability to zoom out adequately to see upcoming towns etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Hey guys, I'm working with a manufacturer to produce a longer (1 m) 30-pin to lightning adapter that is black and costs less than the Apple version. The longer cable will allow the bulk of it to be "hidden away" with just the lighting end accessible for a neater application.

See my thread in the X-Type forum for details:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...15/#post720200

Let me know if you're interested because I need to order a minimum of 50. I'd like to sell them to a few members here but the rest of them will go to eBay. By the way, I plan on selling to you guys for $10 versus $15 on eBay.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Smile 2011 XF Premium works with Apple lightning adapter

Originally Posted by jlindy
Looking at this further, I have discovered that using the jaguar supplied iPod cable with the Apple lightning adapter, I can access music from BOTH the jaguar screen and the phone. (before it usually only was allowed from the screen) This is a postiive because sometimes the screen can be clunky so I have a choice of using either. Oh and it charges the phone too.

Again I have a 2011 XF SC with iPhone 5.

I cancelled my Scorsche order because it is not needed for me.

Thanks to the above info I just picked up the Apple adapter and now my iPhone 5 (running iOS 7) works as listed as above. Nice! Cheap $30 solution.