XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015
View Poll Results: Does Italian Racing Red draw unwanted Police attention?
Yes
20.00%
No
50.00%
Maybe
30.00%
What's Italian Racing Red?
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Italian Racing Red.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Italian Racing Red.....

Moved down here from Westchester Cty, NY two years ago, which I only thought was car country because of the level of disposable income.

I now live on the Delray Beach/Boca Raton border and see cars that I've only seen at the NYC Auto show and the pages of R&T, C&D and Automobile. Just this morning, at my favorite Bagel Shop (close to NYC bagels btw) was a car line up; a bright yellow Ferrari 'vert, a McLaren, 2 Lambo's, a Fisker Karma, several Panamera's and an Italian Racing Red XF.

I've been thinking of this color for over a year now; as a "Leo" my default color is red; but this was the brighest and boldest car in the lot.

I know it's an extra cost, like the BRG (which I've also seen one here) but it made MY heart RACE. I have a propensity for driving fast and in two years here have acquired 2 speeders totalling $1100 in fines (both of which I beat, btw) - I can only imagine that this color would make me a moving target for the local authorities.

Anyone out there with this color and does it draw an unusual amount of police attention?

Best Regards,

Rick Pardo

'09 Acura TL w/AWD/SH/Tech Pkge/19's
'11 A5 'vert Premium Plus

Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

I would think that bright colors like red tend to certainly draw one's attention and eye.

But, as far red cars causing folks to be more of a moving target from police I suspect it's probably "urban legend" or myth. I think the police will pull you over now matter what color car, if you are speeding or driving reckless.

I wouldn't be too proud of your propensity for driving fast. One of my close co-workers recently lost his mother to someone who was driving fast and reckless.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
I wouldn't be too proud of your propensity for driving fast. One of my close co-workers recently lost his mother to someone who was driving fast and reckless.
Sorry to hear that, but the reckless part is the key here. Inappropriate use of speed is reckless. Driving fast isn't necessarily reckless. There are plenty of occasions when driving within the speed limit is too fast for the conditions.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

darlo,

Don't want to get into a pissing contest but speed does = reckless driving no matter how many ways you slice and dice it.

The couple had just exited an off-ramp and were at a turn light in back of a large truck. No rain// no snow// nice weather. The guy who hit them from behind had also just exited the off-ramp - he was going so fast he could not react and stop in time and hit them going 60mph. You can imagine how fast he was going when he exited the ramp. Probably over 100. The guy was driving a truck. You can imagine the damage to their car in between the two trucks.

I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
Driving fast isn't necessarily reckless. There are plenty of occasions when driving within the speed limit is too fast for the conditions.
It is more likely that driving over the speed limit is reckess as it is faster than under the speed limit.

Mathematics and statistical science dictates that conclusion without having to argue semantics or personal views.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

No disrespect to those who have suffered tragedy, but I'm with Darlo on this. Particularly the way he worded it, which is to say that sometimes even the speed limit is too fast for the existing conditions.

Suggesting that speed = recklessness is false and incorrect. There are way too many other variables that would need to factor into that equation.
Yes, Plums, to play your condescending semantic-game; statistically speaking, faster is more likely to be reckless than slower. But that does not substantiate the claim that "fast = reckless". The arbitrary nature of speed-limits on the roads will back that up.

Speed can kill. So can inattentive drivers. So can badgers in the road. But while "Speed CAN kill" is certainly true, making it an absolute such as "Speed Kills (as in every time)" is false.

Drive within the existing conditions. Drive within the limits of your vehicle in those conditions. Drive within your own skill-set, within the limits of your vehicle and within the existing conditions. I don't see what could be construed as reckless about that.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM

No pissing contest desired here either and I thank you all for well worded and sensible contributions to the discussion (which is totally off the point of the original thread! I like Italian Racing Red incidentally and suspect that it being a cop magnet is urban myth).

But I still disagree that speed always = reckless. The horrible situation you describe is clearly reckless use of speed. The guy drove at a speed that was not safe according to the road he was driving. No doubt about it.

Plums - I am not sure what sort of maths and statistics support your point, but not ones that use all relevant input data, that is for sure. Guy A with decent brakes and tyres at 75mph, paying attention is much more welcome on the same wet road as me than Guy B with a poorly maintained car, drinking his coke and talking on the phone at 55mph. I know which one is more likely to avoid an accident.

Good discussion - we are unlikely to change each other's mind. Obeying speed limits is a very good idea. Not obeying them doesn't automatically make you a reckless driver.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by McJaguar
... condescending semantic-game ...

I don't see what could be construed as reckless about that.
The objection is to the attempt to connect the fact that a speed under the speed limit can be reckless for the conditions with the assertion that driving above the speed limit can be safe for the conditions.

For any given condition, including all factors such as traffic, weather, vehicle and particular driver there is a single speed which is the threshold for those exact specifics.

Given that each mph increment is somewhere relative to that single threshold, it is more likely that a speed over the limit is over the threshold than a speed under the limit is over the threshold.

Mathematics and probabilities.

++

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

I am not sure what sort of maths and statistics support your point, but not ones that use all relevant input data, that is for sure. Guy A with decent brakes and tyres at 75mph, paying attention is much more welcome on the same wet road as me than Guy B with a poorly maintained car, drinking his coke and talking on the phone at 55mph. I know which one is more likely to avoid an accident.
Everyone speeds ... but if you really want to push it ... take it to the track.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

A speeding red car will attract police attention as will other colors. I don't think radar systems record color, just speed at a distance, where you probably cannot even make out the color.

If you like the red, get the red. I love the look of the XFR in black with the red interior. Black in Florida is not the best color, but I'd suffer for it.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
The objection is to the attempt to connect the fact that a speed under the speed limit can be reckless for the conditions with the assertion that driving above the speed limit can be safe for the conditions.
I would agree with you then. Except that I see nowhere in this thread where anyone attempted to make that connection.

let's read it again:
Driving fast isn't necessarily reckless. There are plenty of occasions when driving within the speed limit is too fast for the conditions.
and to Darlo's original question: I prefer red in every situation, and haven't noticed that it gets more attention from the cops. the TYPE of car tends to be more profiled than the color, ie: camaros, corvettes, and ANY convertible.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by plums

For any given condition, including all factors such as traffic, weather, vehicle and particular driver there is a single speed which is the threshold for those exact specifics.

Given that each mph increment is somewhere relative to that single threshold, it is more likely that a speed over the limit is over the threshold than a speed under the limit is over the threshold.

Mathematics and probabilities.

++
More likely, yes, but not guaranteed. I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph, which was entirely the point I was trying to make. It has nothing to do with the posted speed limit, but may happen to be coincident.

I don't really understand your first paragraph. There is no connection between the statements, other than that both are true, in my view.