XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jag to replace th AJ with BMW Power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Jag to replace th AJ with BMW Power?

BMW Will Reportedly Supply Jaguar With Twin-Turbocharged V8s

Well if this is the case this will be my first and last Jag. Nice to hear Jag is bringing back the inline 6 though.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Definitely not happy to hear that either.

Manufacturers keep making more models each year, yet I find myself either priced out, I don't fit (6'4" with long legs), the car isn't sporting enough, it can't carry enough stuff or there is an aesthetic or mechanical component I don't like.

Glad I have 4 more years before I'm going to have to start looking for something else. Love my XFR. It has character and can do everything well. Hopefully BMW figures some things out with their V8 before they release the next generation.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Noo, that is a tragedy if true. The AJ8 was and is a classic engine and I do not see any reason why Jaguar would go German. I won't buy a Jaguar with a BMW heart, nope, not going to happen!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by timfountain
Noo, that is a tragedy if true. The AJ8 was and is a classic engine and I do not see any reason why Jaguar would go German. I won't buy a Jaguar with a BMW heart, nope, not going to happen!
It's also a very poorly researched article. Do they employ complete retards at R&T? They got me frothing at the mouth in the first sentence "After years of using old designs dating back to its days under Ford ownership". FFS The 5.0 was a complete ground-up design in 2009. From the SAE article "Malcolm Sandford, Jaguar’s Chief Engineer-Engines, said the only carryover components from the previous V8 are the exhaust tappets and cylinder-head bolts" So they re-used the exhaust tappets and some bolts and that constitutes "using old designs" yep, sure, journalistic bovine excrement of the highest order!

New Jaguar V8 revealed in Detroit - SAE International
Jaguar?s New 5.0-liter Gen III V8 is a Technological Deep Dive: 2009 Detroit Auto Show

Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by timfountain
It's also a very poorly researched article. Do they employ complete retards at R&T? They got me frothing at the mouth in the first sentence "After years of using old designs dating back to its days under Ford ownership". FFS The 5.0 was a complete ground-up design in 2009. From the SAE article "Malcolm Sandford, Jaguar’s Chief Engineer-Engines, said the only carryover components from the previous V8 are the exhaust tappets and cylinder-head bolts" So they re-used the exhaust tappets and some bolts and that constitutes "using old designs" yep, sure, journalistic bovine excrement of the highest order!

New Jaguar V8 revealed in Detroit - SAE International
Jaguar?s New 5.0-liter Gen III V8 is a Technological Deep Dive: 2009 Detroit Auto Show
Jags problem then as now was cost, remember Jag was using BMW engines when Tata bought them from Ford in 2008.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Jag was using BMW engines when Tata bought them from Ford in 2008.

??, which engines are you referring to, the 4.2 is an AJ motor and the 3.0 was a Ford Duratec.

And while the 5.0 is new, it's not All New. Same deck height and same bore spacing I believe. It is still a member of the AJ-V8 family.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Ugh. I don't like turbos for performance cars. Much prefer a supercharger with its more linear torque delivery. This idiotic obsession with chasing artificial fuel economy and emissions targets is killing cars for enthusiasts like us. The article says that turbos will give better fuel economy. Well, in the real world, I challenge that statement. Any forced induction engine is going to guzzle fuel when you get heavy with the throttle, turbo'd or supercharged. What a surprise: someone just found out the same: Four-cylinder Porsche Cayman S has worse real-world fuel economy than Jaguar F-Type | Autocar

Old 08-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

And Aston's smallest offering will use Mercedes V8s:

Aston Martin reveals new V12 engine

I really wish Jaguar would keep the supercharged V8s and add an inline 6 supercharged engine replacing the current 3.0 v6, but that is just stuff of dreams.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
>Jag was using BMW engines when Tata bought them from Ford in 2008.

??, which engines are you referring to, the 4.2 is an AJ motor and the 3.0 was a Ford Duratec.

And while the 5.0 is new, it's not All New. Same deck height and same bore spacing I believe. It is still a member of the AJ-V8 family.
1967 LR is bought by BLM
1968 Jag is merged with BLM
1980 Jag splits from BLM
1990 Jag is bought by Ford from BLM, and becomes 1/4 of Fords Premier Auto Group (PAG)
1994 LR RR is bought by BMW from BLM and began using BMW engines (Diesels)
2000 LR RR is bought by Ford (PAG) But continues using BMW engines from 2003-2005 (Gas 4.4). 2006 LR RR switches to Jag engines. For all practical purposes (DEALERSHIPS and sales wise) Jag and LR RR where/are joined at the hip. Given their history together, I don't feel my call of Jag-LR RR using BMW engines is an incorrect statement.
More info current info → http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...ld-own-engines

Last edited by Bigg Will; 08-06-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:49 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>using BMW engines (Diesels)

Ah, so you're referring to diesel engines used in Land Rovers, correct? Were they used in Jaguars, if not, who produced the diesels engines used with Jaguars in Europe?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 08-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'd certainly cause me to re - think another Jag. When I was looking at a new car, the three I had it narrowed down to were the M-5, E-63 and the XF SC or XFR. After talking with he mechanic who works on out German cars, the BMW was out. The MB was great, but left me a little flat. No to mention my MINI had a BMW power plant in it, and the litany of issues with those motors is well known.

Love the Jag, not a dime a dozen and love the current SC 5.0....and unless they make some changes to the current BMW motors, I may have to look elsewhere a few years down the road when it's time to put my existing beast out to pasture.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The biturbo diesel for e.g. S-Types was a joint jag Peugeot etc job (see wiki).

This whole thread may be based on a wrong guess...

Old 08-08-2016, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
The biturbo diesel for e.g. S-Types was a joint jag Peugeot etc job (see wiki).

This whole thread may be based on a wrong guess...
A wiki reference? Really... But I'm guessing?..lol

Look guys this was not meant to be a debate, this story of Jaguar going to BMW for a new V8 is all over the AUTOMOTIVE news world. Jag has not done an engine entirely on their own for decades due to cost and engineering restraints, meanwhile engine development has not gotten cheaper. Jaguar teaming up with a world class engine builder makes good financial sense, even if we Jag purist don't approve.

Killing the messenger doesn't change the message fellas...lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 08-08-2016 at 04:08 AM.