XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Growler dust caps and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Jaguar Growler dust caps and TPMS

Hi fellow Jag enthusiasts,

I just recently purchased and installed some new growler valve stem dust caps (Part Number: C2C39770) to replace the factory fitted grey plastic caps. I had assumed that these dust caps would be TPMS friendly but I cannot find anything on what the dust caps are made of (I'm assuming chrome). I have heard that using non-plastic dust caps can potentially lead to the dust caps fusing with the valve stem.

Oh, and yesterday my TPMS was acting up for the first time since I've owned the car (09 MY purchased 1.5 years ago) with the TPMS error going from wheel to wheel. A simple restart of the car has alleviated the error. I'm assuming this is not due to the new dust caps and hopefully just an electrical gremlin, but cannot be certain.

Should I be using these growler dust caps on my TPMS fitted wheels? Thanks in advance.

edit - the dust caps are plastic lined so I'm assuming the fusing issue is not relevant, but I'm still unsure whether or not these caps are bad for the TPMS system

Last edited by nasa25; 03-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I've got the same set of Growler dust caps as you on my car with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
nasa25 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Not sure what model you have, but the earlier XFs (2009, 2010 and maybe even a bit beyond that) had TPMS units that are a bit fragile and they had issues with them breaking. All of mine were replaced on warranty last year as they couldn't change onto the snow tyres without breaking them. I have seen comments both about the fusing issue with non-plastic caps (as you mention) but also suggestion that the extra weight wiggling on the end of the tpms could cause issues or a fracture in the stem. Not sure I believe it, but they are clearly sensitive and prone to false errors, so if your tyre pressures are really all correct, I'd probably take the caps off. Seems like the potential for a lot of time and hassle if you have to get new tpms...

nasa25 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Not sure what model you have, but the earlier XFs (2009, 2010 and maybe even a bit beyond that) had TPMS units that are a bit fragile and they had issues with them breaking. All of mine were replaced on warranty last year as they couldn't change onto the snow tyres without breaking them. I have seen comments both about the fusing issue with non-plastic caps (as you mention) but also suggestion that the extra weight wiggling on the end of the tpms could cause issues or a fracture in the stem. Not sure I believe it, but they are clearly sensitive and prone to false errors, so if your tyre pressures are really all correct, I'd probably take the caps off. Seems like the potential for a lot of time and hassle if you have to get new tpms...
Yes the error was false as the tires are inflated properly. As you've mentioned, it's probably not worth the hassle. I've switched back to the plastic caps and I'm going to monitor things to see if the tpms errors return.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
I just recently purchased and installed some new growler valve stem dust caps (Part Number: C2C39770) to replace the factory fitted grey plastic caps...............
If these are OE Jaguar dust caps from the selection in the Accessories Brochures, you will have no issues.

Let me qualify that statement. They are very attractive to 'collectors' - I've already lost one set!

Graham

Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
If these are OE Jaguar dust caps from the selection in the Accessories Brochures, you will have no issues.

Let me qualify that statement. They are very attractive to 'collectors' - I've already lost one set!

Graham
Lol yes they are. People 'collecting' them has crossed my mind as well.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I have them on my car with no issues. They came from China and are chrome plated plastic. They are virtually weightless!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Hi fellow Jag enthusiasts,

I just recently purchased and installed some new growler valve stem dust caps (Part Number: C2C39770) to replace the factory fitted grey plastic caps. I had assumed that these dust caps would be TPMS friendly but I cannot find anything on what the dust caps are made of (I'm assuming chrome). I have heard that using non-plastic dust caps can potentially lead to the dust caps fusing with the valve stem.

Oh, and yesterday my TPMS was acting up for the first time since I've owned the car (09 MY purchased 1.5 years ago) with the TPMS error going from wheel to wheel. A simple restart of the car has alleviated the error. I'm assuming this is not due to the new dust caps and hopefully just an electrical gremlin, but cannot be certain.

Should I be using these growler dust caps on my TPMS fitted wheels? Thanks in advance.

edit - the dust caps are plastic lined so I'm assuming the fusing issue is not relevant, but I'm still unsure whether or not these caps are bad for the TPMS system
FWIW, the dust caps on my '09 are metal over a plastic sleeve.
I'm assuming they are stock.

As far as the TPMS error, I just experienced the same issue on my vehicle with low pressure errors "floating" from wheel to wheel intermittantly (when tire pressure was fine).
The dealer updated the TPMS software/firmware re-flash under CPO when I took it in. I think he said it was ~$55 otherwise.

I just looked and my invoice states:
"Owner states tire pressure keeps showing random tires and screen blinks quickly"
"Verified complaint / 500-Electrical"
"Performed Bulletin #JTB-00317-NAS2 / System operating correctly now"

I have not had an issue with it since.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

ordered a set that are plastic with growler on it. light weight and NO problems. I think the plastic is the way to go. order 2 sets just in case of loosing one. got them on e bay.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tanman
FWIW, the dust caps on my '09 are metal over a plastic sleeve.
I'm assuming they are stock.

As far as the TPMS error, I just experienced the same issue on my vehicle with low pressure errors "floating" from wheel to wheel intermittantly (when tire pressure was fine).
The dealer updated the TPMS software/firmware re-flash under CPO when I took it in. I think he said it was ~$55 otherwise.

I just looked and my invoice states:
"Owner states tire pressure keeps showing random tires and screen blinks quickly"
"Verified complaint / 500-Electrical"
"Performed Bulletin #JTB-00317-NAS2 / System operating correctly now"

I have not had an issue with it since.
thanks for the heads up. I'm taking it into the dealer on Monday for them to read the codes. I'll bring up the software re-flash issue to them. The service advisor was thinking that the random wheel to wheel errors was indicative of a module failure (which makes sense) but if the reflash does the trick that would be amazing.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM

took the car in today and the dealer performed the software reflash. Hopefully that sorts everything.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,993 Likes on 2,128 Posts

If you use the metal based caps, you should use a small amount of anti-seize compound on the stem threads to prevent seizure. Some of the aftermarket metal ones will seize otherwise.

nasa25 (04-07-2014)