XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]

So I looked under my hood and noticed the engine cover is not seated properly. I just got a new engine from the jaguar dealership under my warranty and I found the cover broken after I got it back.

I heard these covers are hard to put back on to the engine? True statement?
There is also a foam laying on top of the engine under the cover...should this even be there!? It looks like sucha half-*** job and they told me the engine is new.

I am worried because I am wondering if the heat is going to affect the foam as the engine rises to high temperatures and the foam is a flammable material right? Or is this the same that is under your covers? (5.0 NA engine)

Another thing is that since the cover is not seated properly and not locked in...I am worried that while driving fast the forced air will push the engine cover up causing drag or even worse issues of instability under the hood.

Should I be worried about this ? Should I go complain and get another one?

When I looked under the cover I can see some connecting points that look damaged...take a peek at my pics I have. I have also noticed 2 cracks near the top of the engine cover (close to the windshield).

lifting the cover lightly with my thumb

lightly lifting the cover with the tip of my thumb

Cracked cover

Pointing at one of the cracks

Under the cover

How the cover sits normally

Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, I would complain......

Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

That foam is part of the cover and should remain stuck to it, not sitting on the engine.
I'd be pushing the mechanic for a replacement cover free of charge.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Like I said before..that dealership of yours are idiots and should be reported...

Are you sure you got a new engine?...From what I see, it doesn't look even close to being new...

Last edited by DPK; 08-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is WOW!!! request a new cover.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Like I said before..that dealership of yours are idiots and should be reported...

Are you sure you got a new engine?...From what I see, it doesn't look even close to being new...
The new engine doesn't come with everything. A lot of parts are transferred from the old engine to the new, including things like the cover,manifolds, supercharger and so on. Since the car is still covered by warranty it should be no problem to get a new cover. The mechanic may not have realized the cover broke since likely it broke when he reinstalled it. You'd only know when you took it off again which you don't need to do for most servicing.

Could that be the source of the noise you mention in the other post?

Last edited by jagular; 08-02-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555

I am worried because I am wondering if the heat is going to affect the foam as the engine rises to high temperatures and the foam is a flammable material right? Or is this the same that is under your covers? (5.0 NA engine)

Another thing is that since the cover is not seated properly and not locked in...I am worried that while driving fast the forced air will push the engine cover up causing drag or even worse issues of instability under the hood.

Should I be worried about this ? Should I go complain and get another one?

No, none of those are a possibility. It's a cosmetic issue only and you should follow up with the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
hen555 (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:29 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
The new engine doesn't come with everything. A lot of parts are transferred from the old engine to the new,
No Kidding?

Since the car is still covered by warranty it should be no problem to get a new cover. The mechanic may not have realized the cover broke since likely it broke when he reinstalled it..

That car should have NEVER left the dealership in that condition..totally half-*** work and to defend such incompetence is pure lunacy

You'd only know when you took it off again which you don't need to do for most servicing

So are you suggesting that no one should ever look under the hood after the car has been in for service? more lunacy and drivel?
I'm surprised he didn't find a few left behind tools and hardware under there too...

If people were to follow that crazy way of thinking, they must also live with their heads in the sand.

Last edited by DPK; 08-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the posts everyone, so it is not suppose to look like this and its okay to drive (just cosmetic)?

Looks like I head back to the dealership to get this fixed.

The mechanic may not have realized the cover broke since likely it broke when he reinstalled it. You'd only know when you took it off again which you don't need to do for most servicing.
Actually I never took it off, I just lifted it with my thumb to see if it was seated properly as it looked like sht. I never took it off because I read somewhere that its a B*tch to put back on. This is why I think it got broken. I doubt the mechanic did not realize it broke, I think the mechanic just ignored it tried to hide it. I am guessing the service team did not expect me to care about the condition of the engine cover (maybe did not expect me to notice) and so saved their money instead of giving me a new cover...although they broke it.

That car should have NEVER left the dealership in that condition..totally half-*** work and to defend such incompetence is pure lunacy
This isn't the only thing...my car also left the dealership with a scratch on the rear bumper and food crumbs in the back seat. They said they would buff out the scratch for free but the food they aren't taking responsibility for.This seems very unprofessional to me.

With regards to the new engine, I dont know how I would be able to really tell if its a new engine. I even told the mechanic that since they did not give me any paper work on the engine other than the work order sheet. He just told me it could have been re-manufactured but since the 5.0 engines are fairly new they do not have any...Jaguar just sends what they have in stock which for me was a new engine.

What I can say is that the engine drives/sounds better than it used to while mileage is roughly the same if not worse.

Last edited by hen555; 08-02-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
No Kidding?

So are you suggesting that no one should ever look under the hood after the car has been in for service? more lunacy and drivel?
I'm surprised he didn't find a few left behind tools and hardware under there too...

If people were to follow that crazy way of thinking, they must also live with their heads in the sand.
Think a bit more before you hit "submit reply".

You'll look more like you know something useful.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

New engine will have a brand new accessory drive belt and all the pulleys will be shiny and new. Also, the tops of the cylinder heads will be clean and shiny.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Think a bit more before you hit "submit reply".

You'll look more like you know something useful.
You should practice what you preach...

Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
You should practice what you preach...
You haven't noticed that I do, already. Maybe add reading the post before replying to your list of handy tips.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM

New engine will have a brand new accessory drive belt and all the pulleys will be shiny and new. Also, the tops of the cylinder heads will be clean and shiny.
If this were a Ford or GM vehicle, the above would not be true. Many external/auxiliary components would be transferred across from the failed engine as they would still be fully serviceable. I know of no reason why Jag would do things any differently.

Do you have any direct experience to contradict the above?

In any case the OP is not entitled to a 'new' engine, simply a replacement that is in the same condition as the old prior to the failure, or better.

I fail to understand the point of attempting to cast doubt over whether the OP received a suitable replacement or not.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (08-06-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
If this were a Ford or GM vehicle, the above would not be true. Many external/auxiliary components would be transferred across from the failed engine as they would still be fully serviceable. I know of no reason why Jag would do things any differently.

I agree. Typically all external bolt-on equipment is transferred from the old engine to the new. A 'fully dressed' warranty replacement engine is a very rare thing, in my experience. In all my years I've only seen a couple. In those case a regular replacement was not readily available thru normal channels and a dressed engine was actually pulled off the assembly line.

I fail to understand the point of attempting to cast doubt over whether the OP received a suitable replacement or not.

People often let themselves get all carried away and next thing you know they want the service manager shot, the mechanic drawn-and-quartered, the corporate officers dismissed, the dealership shut down, another new motor, free tires for life, and an expose on the 6:00 o'clock news the due to the gross, inexcusable, absolutely mind-blowing incompetence that would allow (oh my god, wait for it now....) a broken (cosmetic) engine cover to go un-replaced......

....which is a *exactly* why the service department should have a process to avoid letting these slip ups happen. On a big job like this the service advisor should absolutely give the car a once-over before letting the customer have it back.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM

which is a *exactly* why the service department should have a process to avoid letting these slip ups happen.
I can agree with what you posted. I believe if they broke it, they should replace it...doesn't matter if its cosmetic.

Also this is not the first slip up or the only slip up from this dealership that I have posted about. I am actually going really easy on this dealership as I do know mistakes/slip ups happen. I wonder how many slip ups it will take to know I am getting poor service from a premium brand dealership.

I called them today during their working hours, they didn't pick up (like always) and I left a message so I'm gonna still give them a chance before sending the customer feedback survey to JLR North America. I also have other 'real' issues with my car that will probably need to be there over night for a day

Old 08-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

Do you have any direct experience to contradict the above?

In any case the OP is not entitled to a 'new' engine, simply a replacement that is in the same condition as the old prior to the failure, or better.

Only an idiot would fit an old accessory drive belt to a new engine. I expect new drive pulleys to be on the new engine but perhaps not. Mine is supercharged and I got a new supercharger snout so there's a new pulley and new belt. I didn't bother to look further down. The new heads would be clean which should be enough confirmation that a new engine was installed. Hard to see why a dealer would say they fitted a new engine under warranty and did not but standard practice is to ask the customer to sign the wo confirming the work was completed.

As for whether a new engine or remanufactured engine were fitted under warranty it would be easy to tell the difference. A used engine would not satisfy the warranty in my view.

And just by the by I wasn't casting any doubt it was the original poster with that concern.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hen555
I can agree with what you posted. I believe if they broke it, they should replace it...doesn't matter if its cosmetic.

Also this is not the first slip up or the only slip up from this dealership that I have posted about. I am actually going really easy on this dealership as I do know mistakes/slip ups happen. I wonder how many slip ups it will take to know I am getting poor service from a premium brand dealership.

I called them today during their working hours, they didn't pick up (like always) and I left a message so I'm gonna still give them a chance before sending the customer feedback survey to JLR North America. I also have other 'real' issues with my car that will probably need to be there over night for a day
If you are relying on Jaguar of Saskatoon that's got to be a very small dealership.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Only an idiot would fit an old accessory drive belt to a new engine. ..........

but standard practice is to ask the customer to sign the wo confirming the work was completed. ....................

A used engine would not satisfy the warranty in my view.............
And as frequently observed, your opinions (seemingly shot straight from the hip) don't seem to align with fact or reality.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
damienedwards (08-15-2015), DPK (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Only an idiot would fit an old accessory drive belt to a new engine.

I'll explain how it typically works with warranty repairs.

With a warranty engine replacement, external bolt-on items are reused as-is...unless they are suffering from a warrantable fault.

You and I, if doing a big engine replacement job, might elect to replace belts, pulleys, water pump, hoses, or any number of other items on a "while I'm at it" basis, or "Can't hurt, might help" basis. However, with warranty repairs, the factory warranty policies do not allow for such optional replacements. In fact, replacing parts under warranty that are not actually faulty will often result in the dealer being 'charged back' for the unnecessary repairs or replacements.

So, it really isn't a matter of being an idiot. It's more a matter of following warranty procedure. And, perhaps, not needlessly replacing parts that are still perfectly serviceable. (Funny thing, heh heh. Needlessly replacing parts is a very common complaint against repair shops. Unless someone else is paying the bill, that is. Then it's always OK to replace parts just for the heck of it!)

Now, if the drive belt was faulty....and it was a warrantable defect....then the dealer could replace it and note the reason for the replacement on the work order.

If the belt was faulty but for whatever reason was not a warrantable defect the dealer could ask the customer for permission to replace it at the customer's expense.

I expect new drive pulleys to be on the new engine but perhaps not.

Why would you expect that?

Mine is supercharged and I got a new supercharger snout so there's a new pulley and new belt.

It might be that the snout comes with a new pulley. I dunno. But, even if not, the dealer somehow felt they were justified in replacing the belt and pulley under the terms of the warranty.

If not, they face the possibility of a chargeback for replacing parts needlessly....strictly a 'no no' with warranty repairs.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
NBCat (08-09-2015), sparkenzap (08-07-2015)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]