XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
It might be that the snout comes with a new pulley. I dunno.
More than likely since anyone who has replaced the pulley with an aftermarket pulley
has had to rent/buy/borrow the pulley removal tool from the vendor or cut the pulley
off.

Since Jaguar considers the unit to be an non-serviceable R&R, there probably isn't
an official service tool.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
And as frequently observed, your opinions (seemingly shot straight from the hip) don't seem to align with fact or reality.
I so enjoy your impartial remarks.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
New engine will have a brand new accessory drive belt and all the pulleys will be shiny and new. Also, the tops of the cylinder heads will be clean and shiny.
Well, not exactly.......
Here is what you get with a replacement engine.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]-dscn0043.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Blackcoog (08-07-2015), Cambo (08-07-2015), damienedwards (08-15-2015), JgaXkr (08-06-2015), Mikey (08-06-2015), plums (08-06-2015), sparkenzap (08-07-2015), WRXtranceformed (08-06-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Well, not exactly.......

Cheers,
I want that to turn into a coffee table for my man cave!!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 PM

I saw that done once, with a V12......

Pretty neat!

Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I want that to turn into a coffee table for my man cave!!
+1...if I had a man cave.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Only an idiot would fit an old accessory drive belt to a new engine. I expect new drive pulleys to be on the new engine but perhaps not. Mine is supercharged and I got a new supercharger snout so there's a new pulley and new belt. I didn't bother to look further down. The new heads would be clean which should be enough confirmation that a new engine was installed. Hard to see why a dealer would say they fitted a new engine under warranty and did not but standard practice is to ask the customer to sign the wo confirming the work was completed.

As for whether a new engine or remanufactured engine were fitted under warranty it would be easy to tell the difference. A used engine would not satisfy the warranty in my view.

And just by the by I wasn't casting any doubt it was the original poster with that concern.
In the real world Jaguar would not pay for a new drive belt or any other part unless it was actually defective. I know Jagular knows all as he is a legend in his own mind. However a drive belt would not be covered under the warranty. The warranty covers defects in material & workmanship not what "idiots" think should be proactively replaced. As far as replacement engines the dealers have to order a reman engine, most times they are not available & are shipped a new stripped engine which requires all ancillary parts be swapped over. They never know until it arrives.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, not exactly.......

Cheers,
As I have said in the past Jagular knows all just ask him he will tell you.

The following users liked this post:
jagular (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Serpentine belts are designed to be refitted. But they do wear out. The labour to fit an old one is more than the cost of a new belt. However, on my new engine replacing the original at only 15,000 km perhaps they reinstalled it. They replaced the water pump though and the supercharger snout, a cat with O2 sensors, the front final drive unit, etc etc, so the saving effected by reusing the old belt wouldn't make any sense. Indeed, only an idiot would think it made sense to reuse an old drive belt when replacing a $20,000 engine and associated parts.

Last edited by jagular; 08-06-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Well, not exactly.......

Cheers,
I got more than that but as I thought the new engine at least comes with the new crank pulley already installed.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Well, not exactly.......

Cheers,
Please rewrap and resecure the tie straps ... I'll be over on Monday with a trailer.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

However, on my new engine replacing the original at only 15,000 km perhaps they reinstalled it.

All parts used should be listed on the work order

They replaced the water pump though and the supercharger snout, a cat with O2 sensors, the front final drive unit, etc etc, so the saving effected by reusing the old belt wouldn't make any sense.
Why were all those things replaced?

Were they replaced because the dealer discovered a problem with them? Or were they replaced because the dealer thought that replacing lots of things would make them look less idiotic?

Indeed, only an idiot would think it made sense to reuse an old drive belt when replacing a $20,000 engine and associated parts.

I'll explain what makes sense. It involves a simple inspection followed by a logical decision.

If the belt looks good and has not seen much mileage it is perfectly acceptable to reuse it. That makes sense.

If inspecting the belt reveals noticeable or significant wear, or suggests impending failure, then yes, you'd replace it. That makes sense.

Replacing known good parts, however, does not make sense....although some with money to toss away often do so. In most cases manufacturers do not consider themselves as having money to toss away so replacing perfectly good parts under warranty is not allowed. They reckon, quite reasonably, that paying for needless replacements makes them....you guessed it...an idiot!

If any dealer techs following this thread tell us that Jaguar is particularly lenient, forgiving, or generous with respect to needlessly replacing parts as part of a warranty repair then I'd love to hear so, and will gladly stand corrected.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why was engine replaced. How many miles were on it. Just curious and a bit concerned.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM

If any dealer techs following this thread tell us that Jaguar is particularly lenient, forgiving, or generous with respect to needlessly replacing parts as part of a warranty repair then I'd love to hear so, and will gladly stand corrected.

Nothing to correct, Doug!

Absolutely on the mark on all counts, as usual..........

Old 08-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nsl1
Why was engine replaced. How many miles were on it. Just curious and a bit concerned.

Thanks
Just under 10,000 miles the engine let go under acceleration. It laid an impressive smoke screen similar to a competition engine blowing up.

Jaguar has apparently suffered "a number " of Ford manufactured engine failures and all have been replaced under warranty as far as I know. No doubt these failures result from a QA failure at the Bridgend Ford plant or in one of the many parts suppliers to that plant. It isn't a Jaguar issue.

There has been no diagnosis confirmed to me. No doubt Jaguar has no interest in diagnosing the fault as it just be a Ford problem.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

All parts used should be listed on the work order

Why were all those things replaced?

Were they replaced because the dealer discovered a problem with them? Or were they replaced because the dealer thought that replacing lots of things would make them look less idiotic?

I'll explain what makes sense. It involves a simple inspection followed by a logical decision.

If the belt looks good and has not seen much mileage it is perfectly acceptable to reuse it. That makes sense.

If inspecting the belt reveals noticeable or significant wear, or suggests impending failure, then yes, you'd replace it. That makes sense.

Replacing known good parts, however, does not make sense....although some with money to toss away often do so. In most cases manufacturers do not consider themselves as having money to toss away so replacing perfectly good parts under warranty is not allowed. They reckon, quite reasonably, that paying for needless replacements makes them....you guessed it...an idiot!

Cheers
DD
Not trying to correct you. Water pump was "starting to leak". Supercharger isolator had excessive play (that's the plastic breakaway coupler inside the snout designed to protect the drive gears from the lobes and vice versa, also I understand it has some vibration damping purpose).

At a mere 15,000 km (less than 10,000 miles) and two years old I agree refitting the old belt would be fine. I don't think they did but I'll ask. In the description of the parts moved and parts renewed is a reference to "change ancillary equipment and renew ". There is no listing of a serpentine belt specifically. Mind you there's no separate line item for the 8 litres of fresh oil installed but no doubt that was charged to Jaguar. Although, coincidentally my car was exactly due for its first free oil change so maybe not!

At 50,000 km it would make no sense to refit the used belt. A judgment call depending on the service life specified for the belt. Some serpentine belts are supposedly good for 100,000 miles but not necessarily for the length of time it might take to get there. Of course if the water pump was leaking coolant onto the old belt then a new belt should have been fitted.

Last edited by jagular; 08-08-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Now that our friend has completely embarrassed himself yet once again with his lack of knowledge, how about we get back onto topic?

I happened to remove the engine cover from one of my other cars yesterday and noticed great similarity to the cover on the OP's car. In the photo below, it appears there are two 'ball and socket' studs that secure the cover to the engine. It appears here that the cover is simply not locked into place. In my case, it just took simple hand pressure to pop it into place.

I'm guessing that the foam was not already detached from the cover when the mechanic was buttoning things back up and it happened to fall off after the OP got the car back.

I think I'd just glue it back into place, pop the cover back into position and call it a day. Or is that too simple?

Originally Posted by hen555

Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I think I'd just glue it back into place, pop the cover back into position and call it a day. Or is that too simple?

Way too simple. And we'd miss all the fun of castigating the dealer for this unforgivable, unexcusable degree of gross negligence

Cheers
DD

Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Way too simple. And we'd miss all the fun of castigating the dealer for this unforgivable, unexcusable degree of gross negligence

Cheers
DD
That's what I though too. We'd also miss out on witnessing a re-hijacking the topic with this latest gem:

Jaguar has apparently suffered "a number " of Ford manufactured engine failures and all have been replaced under warranty as far as I know. No doubt these failures result from a QA failure at the Bridgend Ford plant or in one of the many parts suppliers to that plant. It isn't a Jaguar issue.

There has been no diagnosis confirmed to me. No doubt Jaguar has no interest in diagnosing the fault as it just be a Ford problem.
Yes, there is no doubt on either point. There are no other possible explanations.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Cheers
DD
You're right, it's too easy sometimes to de-ball the dealer's/tech in the moment of frustrations ..But with OP's situation however, he has other mitigating circustances from the beginning that when added together leads one to say,"enough is enough"...Such as the Scratch on his bumber, the food crumbs in the back seat, the BROKEN engine cover and not being reinstalled properly to name a few....All that, is simply unacceptable from one dealer.

So yes, don't be so quick to make mountain oysters out them ...In my case, my dealer gives my car the white glove treatment and not the rubber glove treatment..-..I would hope all JAG dealers would do the same..

Last edited by DPK; 08-07-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]