XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
You're right, it's too easy sometimes to de-ball the dealer's/tech in the moment of frustrations ..
Doug said CASTIGATE, not CASTRATE! - Although I do like his previous suggestion of drawing and quartering any tech who overlooks something.

And, Jagular, you make some pretty outrageous and libelous claims about Ford! If you were to compare Ford vs Jaguar engine reliability, I doubt you would find Ford lacking! Hint: think Nikasil, chain tensioners, valve covers and so on.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 08-07-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Doug said CASTIGATE, not CASTRATE! - Although I do like his previous suggestion of drawing and quartering any tech who overlooks something.

And, Jagular, you make some pretty outrageous and libelous claims about Ford! If you were to compare Ford vs Jaguar engine reliability, I doubt you would find Ford lacking! Hint: think Nikasil, chain tensioners, valve covers and so on.
I'm confident I understand the nature of libel which would require making a false statement.

The prior reliability issues you refer to afflicted the 4.0 V8 manufactured by Ford in the same plant when Jaguar was owned by Ford. The same engine was fitted to the Lincoln LS.

The Nikasil issue afflicted BMW and others. It was eventually though to be a problem resulting from sulfur content in gasoline.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

All parts used should be listed on the work order
On my work order the parts listed include:
"Engine Assembly - Change ancillary Equipment and Renew"
Under it intcludes some components like
- Engine-Stripped - Fuel Feed Pipe - Fuel Hose - Inlet Man Gaskets - kit injectors (RE) - Gasket Water pump - Gaskets for Exhaust - Anti Freeze - Castrol Oil - Cable ties - Oil transmission .

Why was engine replaced. How many miles were on it. Just curious and a bit concerned.
Engine was replaced due to a loud oscillating knocking sound from under the hood. See my post at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wrong-145779/

This sound always used to come randomly when I first got it at 72000km = 44738.7 Miles. It would go away but then started coming more frequently where it was there regularly in which the mechanic noticed it. Water pump was changed as a first step, did not solve the problem. Further investigation found low engine oil pressure during hot and cold engine runs. Data sent to JLR in which remanufactured engine was approved under my extended warranty. After everything fitted...the pictures in this post were what I found w/ regards to the engine cover.

I happened to remove the engine cover from one of my other cars yesterday and noticed great similarity to the cover on the OP's car.
Thanks for confirming Mikey.

It appears here that the cover is simply not locked into place....I think I'd just glue it back into place, pop the cover back into position and call it a day. Or is that too simple?
Mikey I agree, if they can glue the foam where it should be and successfully pop the cover into the ball/socket joints then I am happy. I do not think the cover can simply just lock into place due to the positioning of the sockets in both left and right side. I think it could be simple by just re-positioning it my self but I do not want to touch it before getting the dealer. I am leaving it just how I got it until I show them. Looking at the pic it seems the socket joint on left side is jammed sideways into the holder and the one on the right side is stuck on the ball joint out of the plastic holder attached to the cover. Is it often and easy that the joints fail like mine and the foam to fall down? I am asking because I feel I am just ganna' get a temporary fix...If I were ever to remove the cover I wouldn't want the joints to get messed again like mine in the pic (angled/detached from cover).

...it's too easy sometimes to de-ball the dealer's/tech in the moment of frustrations ..But with OP's situation however, he has other mitigating circustances from the beginning...Such as the Scratch on his bumber, the food crumbs in the back seat, the BROKEN engine cover and not being reinstalled properly to name a few
It is true, I have been separating many of my issues on different posts to isolate the problems and solutions so many may have not known what I have been going through. DPK has highlighted my most recent issues in quality/service I received. Because I have raised these issues to the service manager, showing my concern and that I am unimpressed I feel they will try and make things right. Many would rage at the dealership but I have tried keeping it cool to not give them a hard time allowing them to correct their mistakes. But there will be a time in which "enough is enough" and I think they know this. I am expecting better service now... I wish I could get the white glove treatment, even at least the rubber glove treatment because I think I am getting the sprinkle cupcaked bare hand treatment.

I called the service manager and it seems currently they are not taking responsibility for it. As makes sense, they claim that their mechanics take engine covers off all the time they wouldn't have broke it. Saying it may have already been like that in the first place. I will show it to them on my next visit and then come to a conclusion on whats ganna' happen. Hopefully they will at least fix it since it could just be a simple fix of fixing the joints / foam.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Now that our friend has completely embarrassed himself yet once again with his lack of knowledge, how about we get back onto topic?

I happened to remove the engine cover from one of my other cars yesterday and noticed great similarity to the cover on the OP's car. In the photo below, it appears there are two 'ball and socket' studs that secure the cover to the engine. It appears here that the cover is simply not locked into place. In my case, it just took simple hand pressure to pop it into place.

I'm guessing that the foam was not already detached from the cover when the mechanic was buttoning things back up and it happened to fall off after the OP got the car back.

I think I'd just glue it back into place, pop the cover back into position and call it a day. Or is that too simple?
Checked today. New serpentine belt and new supercharger drive belt. Now who's the idiot?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Just under 10,000 miles the engine let go under acceleration. It laid an impressive smoke screen similar to a competition engine blowing up.

Jaguar has apparently suffered "a number " of Ford manufactured engine failures and all have been replaced under warranty as far as I know. No doubt these failures result from a QA failure at the Bridgend Ford plant or in one of the many parts suppliers to that plant. It isn't a Jaguar issue.

There has been no diagnosis confirmed to me. No doubt Jaguar has no interest in diagnosing the fault as it just be a Ford problem.
How is it a Ford problem?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Checked today. New serpentine belt and new supercharger drive belt. Now who's the idiot?
I would like to see the final warranty claim to see if they paid for the belt or not. Having done Jaguar warranty (not Jagular's interpretation of warranty) for many years just because a part is replaced it does not mean the dealer is paid for it. You either had an issue with the belt or the technician just decided to replace it. It is common practice for a warranty claim to be adjusted down after a repair is performed. It could be for excessive diagnostic time or parts they feel the customer should have paid for. But as I have said before Jagular knows all just ask him he will tell you.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
How is it a Ford problem?
Ford builds the engine for Jaguar.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I would like to see the final warranty claim to see if they paid for the belt or not. Having done Jaguar warranty (not Jagular's interpretation of warranty) for many years just because a part is replaced it does not mean the dealer is paid for it. You either had an issue with the belt or the technician just decided to replace it. It is common practice for a warranty claim to be adjusted down after a repair is performed. It could be for excessive diagnostic time or parts they feel the customer should have paid for. But as I have said before Jagular knows all just ask him he will tell you.
I'd like to win a million dollars.

All my paperwork says N/C which is all I care about.

Besides, this is Canada. We do things differently up here. My dealer is the best dealer in Canada and has been for several years.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

All my paperwork says N/C which is all I care about.

Ok, now we're getting to the heart of things.

When your thought process stops at "I got it for free" then, naturally, you won't have much actual knowledge or understanding about how warranty administration actually works.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Besides, this is Canada. We do things differently up here.
Well actually, no 'we' don't in this respect. No difference between Canada, US and anywhere else I know of.

For readers around the world following this soap opera, not all of us in the great white north are borderline trolls that can't resist continually hijacking posts. Most of us are actually the self deprecating type that like saying sorry even when there's no reason, as per stereotype.

Sorry.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
DPK (08-09-2015), JgaXkr (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 01:51 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts
Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts
Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Well actually, no 'we' don't in this respect. No difference between Canada, US and anywhere else I know of.

For readers around the world following this soap opera, not all of us in the great white north are borderline trolls that can't resist continually hijacking posts. Most of us are actually the self deprecating type that like saying sorry even when there's no reason, as per stereotype.

Sorry.
Not all self deprecating Canadians have no reason to do so.

I'm not Canadian anyway except with the government's permission.

This thread hasn't been hijacked. All the posts are related to engine replacement and related servicing.

I do note a lot of claims to accurate information lacking any supporting source but nevertheless claimed to be authoritative.

I also note the continued personal attacks made by you as a moderator which is unusual to say the least.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Ok, now we're getting to the heart of things.

When your thought process stops at "I got it for free" then, naturally, you won't have much actual knowledge or understanding about how warranty administration actually works.

Cheers
DD
A customer doesn't need to know how it works. This thread was about an engine replacement and observed poor servicing. My experience of an engine replacement was accompanied by exemplary service and very high levels of servicing skill. I spoke to both the chief mechanic and the mechanic who replaced my engine. I know all I need to know about the work that was done and the quality of the service I received. It is very unfortunate that the OP was not treated to the same.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

A customer doesn't need to know how it works.

Indeed true, as you've amply illustrated

Cheers
DD

Old 08-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I also note the continued personal attacks made by you as a moderator which is unusual to say the least.
Moderator?

Not me.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Moderator?

Not me.
Whatever, Canadian regional coordinator. You do realize that a propensity for personal attack (technically "ad hominem" argument) is the sign of an insecure personality.

What is bothering you eh? Or is it just that Canadian inferiority complex?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Indeed true, as you've amply illustrated

Cheers
DD
Not logical my friend. But keep trying, eventually it will dawn on you.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very common for the insulation on engine cover to fall off or crumble into a million pieces. Those covers are a PITA to put back on if the grommets fall of the back. The cowl and strut brace has to come off. Tip for oil changes is to just pop the front off and wege a small block of wood to prop it up.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

To Jagular , Mikey and Doug

I probably should not get involved in this and for what it's worth I have to say this ,

I have have read many posts by all three and have to say you all certainly know the Jaguar
product , you have all chimed in helped others on this forum when necessary .

As a forum reader , like many others here , understand what you are trying to explain , but sometimes it can get lost in it's translation , there's a difference of opinion or understanding .

I'm sure the OP got the answer he was looking for

Move on , This topic has had it's run .

As usual looking forward to more of your posts .

Cheers ,

Sid

The following 3 users liked this post by mastersid:
jagular (08-10-2015), NBCat (08-09-2015), xjrguy (08-10-2015)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Mechanic broke my engine cover [Pics!]