XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Teases 2016 XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
As I said earlier I think it will be more telling with warmer interior colors, an all black interior doesn't do much to showcase details.
For me its not the interior color it the aesthetics, What Jag has done is compromised, and that's fine but at least tie your cars together to your flagship the XJ on the inside.

Evolutionary is great on the outside, but I like a little more revolutionary on the inside. A perfect examples of a revolutionary interior change is the dash of the new S Class Benz or even the current dash of the Audi 8 or 7.

For 2016 only the 2 end air vents will be powered TACKY! why not just use the existing round manual vents from the XJ and add 3 similar styled small vents for the middle above the center display?

The emblems looks too Honda like, the font used for the name "Jaguar" is too blocky.

I hope it has 4, or at least 3 zone A/C, all cars in this class should.

And the center high mounted stop lamp needs to be neon, at the top of the back glass as in Bentley and Audi.

I'm just seeing too many compromises and carry overs in a car that will top out at about $100K, and is supposed to be all new?

Last edited by Bigg Will; 03-25-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
For me its not the interior color it the aesthetics, What Jag has done is compromised, and that's fine but at least tie your cars together to your flagship the XJ on the inside.

Evolutionary is great on the outside, but I like a little more revolutionary on the inside. A perfect examples of a revolutionary interior change is the dash of the new S Class Benz or even the current dash of the Audi 8 or 7.

For 2016 only the 2 end air vents will be powered TACKY! why not just use the existing round manual vents from the XJ and add 3 similar styled small vents for the middle above the center display?

The emblems looks too Honda like, the font used for the name "Jaguar" is too blocky.

I hope it has 4, or at least 3 zone A/C, all cars in this class should.

And the center high mounted stop lamp needs to be neon, at the top of the back glass as in Bentley and Audi.

I'm just seeing too many compromises and carry overs in a car that will top out at about $100K, and is supposed to be all new?
I don't want a mini XJ interior, that would take away from the XJ. I don't mind the stationary vents, I'm guessing that was to accommodate the larger screen, but if I did change them I surely would not put the round vents like the XJ's--leave those to it. It has the Riva Hoop to tie it to the XJ. Callum said they put a lot of detail into the seat design which we have a very limited photo of, so I'm curious to see that. I still think it needs to be seen in a lighter color to see the details. If anything, I was hoping to see climate control dials like the F-Type's, those are sharp looking and very functional.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

42 posts and nobody has said anything about the lack of a V8 option? I get that everything these days is going smaller displacement with turbos, but the JLR V8 is used across so many different models I'm surprised it's not even mentioned in the press release, let alone as one of the XF trim level options.

Maybe they're waiting a year or two before releasing a V8-equipped R model?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
42 posts and nobody has said anything about the lack of a V8 option? I get that everything these days is going smaller displacement with turbos, but the JLR V8 is used across so many different models I'm surprised it's not even mentioned in the press release, let alone as one of the XF trim level options. Maybe they're waiting a year or two before releasing a V8-equipped R model?
There will be an R model. They will get rid of non-R V8 just like they did on the F Type.

BMW and Mercedes are doing same with their next gen E Class and 5 series. If you wants a V8 you have to buy a Motorsport model.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just don't understand why they messed with the rear end, each model of Jaguar looked unique (xf, xj, xk, f-type). Now they are starting to look similar to eachother, it will be hard to distinguish the xe and the xf. The f-type style lights look great, on an f-type. No need to start copying it and putting it on all the other models, it doesn't look that great with the rectangle shaped taillights

The following users liked this post:
nasa25 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yawn. It doesn't move me one way or the other. It's evolutionary which is fine by me being that it's only the second generation. If you believe Jag, it's the driving dynamics that will be revolutionary.

The trend for manufacturers to make all of their sedans look basically the same (just in small, medium and large sizes ) is a little annoying.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It is always a bummer when a new model shows up with a radically different styling, making the older model look instantly aged. In this case we have no such worries. Only some knowledgeable enthusiasts will be able to tell the difference between the outgoing model vs. the new one. I'm just glad I grabbed the last of the NA V8s with my '12 model.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Wanted to take a minute to digest it before commenting. Here's my list:

1. I really don't like the vertical pieces of black plastic the run on the outside of both lower air grilles on the white car. They don't look elegant at all and they feel tacked on for no reason.

2. Is it me or do the side vents now look just like an M5's vents? They looked good vertically, why change it to look like the competition? If the vertical pieces and these vents were painted body color, they might not bug me as bad. The white car looks like a black pack car so maybe that could be avoided, but otherwise, straight to the paint shop for me.

3. I don't like the Jaguar below the leaper, but that can be fixed quite easily.

4. Not sure about the interior, especially the tiered dash. Didn't the Nissan Maxima have a similar look a few years back? I'll wait to see it in person though before I protest too much.

5. I think they really missed an opportunity to put the wood all the way across the top of the doors. To me it creates too many lines and it looks choppy. Not horrible but could have been better IMO.

6. Not so sure about the accordian door for the cup holders. Could be ok in person and it would get rid of the constantly open panel and the inconsistent panel fade that occurs with that. So jury is out to see how nice it actually is.

7. I really, really, really hate the latch on the glove box. Doesn't say premium at all. I know a lot of people hated the button, but I haven't had any issues with mine (don't use it much) and it kept the dash sooo clean looking. That alone might make me choose a darker interior color. The photo of it in the light interior was not good for me at all.

8. On the R, they absolutely have to put the R logo on the metal portion of the dash to the right of the center stack. Otherwise, it's just too bland. The surface looks interesting in the close up photos though.

9. Not sure about the vents either. The center ones might not be very distracting in person, but the side ones should go across the entire metal portion or be centered on it. They look odd being pushed up to the top.

10. Not a huge fan of the flattened front grill. I think it's for european pedestrian safety and Merc has been doing this to all of it's cars and they all look wrong now. This is better than theirs, but not a step in the right direction (and I did mean the pun since it's for pedestrians)

11. Finally, the diagnonal part of the rear window is really distracting to me. Looks like they tried to make it XJ like (ie different than everyone else), but to me it's just a bit awkward and forced.

After all that, I'll probably still get one in a few years though. Or I may just upgrade my daily driver and keep mine long term. After all the depreciation, I can afford the maintenance if I don't have a payment. A lot depends on if it's got soul. That's the reason I have mine. If the new one feels like an M5, KYANITE isn't going anywhere...

The following 3 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
Bigg Will (03-26-2015), chuckh007 (03-26-2015), WRXtranceformed (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM
BB2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tach display

I'm not overwhelmed by the interior. Also I hope the configurable dash has a better set of instrumentation where the tach is not a secondary gauge concentric around the fuel and water temp. The top of the dash looks a bit like a poorly fitted dash cover. I also agree with the statement of the grill being to vertical.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

42 posts and nobody has said anything about the lack of a V8 option? I get that everything these days is going smaller displacement with turbos, but the JLR V8 is used across so many different models I'm surprised it's not even mentioned in the press release, let alone as one of the XF trim level options.

Good point, I just assumed the option was there. I will not buy a new XF without the V8 supercharged unless there is an equivalent performance option, but still would be on the fence.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

@Kyanite: agree with your points 1;2 4,6; and 10. Let's get this test driven to see where the performance is, with a SC V8.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

I actually started a new thread on that subject..LOL

Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Can anyone speak on the type of sunroof/moonroof there is on the car? Looking at it's size, it is either a pop-up (i.e. Audi A/S5) or it opens on top of the roof like the XJ. A pop-up sunroof would be out of the question for me and a sunroof like that of the XJ leaves me luke warm.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ttboonie
Can anyone speak on the type of sunroof/moonroof there is on the car? Looking at it's size, it is either a pop-up (i.e. Audi A/S5) or it opens on top of the roof like the XJ. A pop-up sunroof would be out of the question for me and a sunroof like that of the XJ leaves me luke warm.
To me it looks like a fixed panoramic glass roof like on the F Type. If that is what it is then I would expect alternative options to be available like a conventional sunroof since this is a sedan.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 PM

It looks fixed to me, that's kind of a letdown. Just noticed the latch for the glovebox, thats a small detail that looks so out of place, they should have just kept it similar to what the current XF has, mine has always worked and it looks clean.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Still a beautiful car but I am glad I have my 2013..love the old rear . The led in the headlights doesn't look as special now. The only thing I think I would want on my car is the interface,,

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM

For all the negative remarks I still think this is the best looking car in its segment and an improvement over the current XF on every dimension and from every angle. The front end looks superb.

As for the interior, while it could be better, I noticed another nice car which doesn't have full length wood panels on the doors: The Mercedes S65 Coupe. Would love to see this in person.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
For all the negative remarks I still think this is the best looking car in its segment and an improvement over the current XF on every dimension and from every angle. The front end looks superb.

As for the interior, while it could be better, I noticed another nice car which doesn't have full length wood panels on the doors: The Mercedes S65 Coupe. Would love to see this in person.
What about the rear end do you prefer?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Stealth is essentially correct that it is still a good looking car. The driving dynamics will differentiate the generations and the competition. The V8 should make an appearance, but this dragging out of the available model line is painful.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM

The next couple of years at Jaguar are going to be pretty big, XE, new XF, F-Pace(maybe they'll change the name by then). As for this XF, I think like the current XF it'll be much more appreciated in the metal. I know I have the refreshed version but it seems to me that everyone gawks when they see my car and in my eyes this new XF seems to improve upon that.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Teases 2016 XF