XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Wagon - Rear Seat Space

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar Wagon - Rear Seat Space

Hi,

Have been looking at upgrading the Wagon (Lancaster - Subaru) and have been having a look at a couple of option (all Jaguar of course).

Can any one offer advice on rear seat space (as they all seem a little smaller than the Subaru) as well as best option for 4WD (towing boat) and Wagon?

Thanks in advance - Akka.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I've moved your thread from the Forum Advice/Feedback/Suggestion section to here, the Advice/Feedback/Suggestion section is not for topics related to vehicles, rather the forum itself....

I presume you meant the XF Sportbrake wagon? Or if you meant the X-Type Sportwagon I can move this thread to the X-Type section....let me know.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 AM

I was just after some general comparisons between models from members experience. XF is an option but with a boat and wanting 4 WD possibly one of the other models is a better option.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

akka, lets first start off with how much you are willing to spend on a car like this. When it comes to 4WD, prior to 2010, the only 4wd (really is AWD, slight difference, but if you want to know more, let me know, I will explain the difference) vehicle was the X-Type. Even then, the X-Type was only produced until 2009. After 2010, you have the XF that had an AWD option and then in 2013 the XJ came out with AWD too.

How big of a boat (trailer weight and tongue weight) are we looking at here? This may completely rule out these vehicles as the trailer weight for the X-Type is 1650 pounds (roughly 750 KG) which would be fine if you have a small 3-4m aluminum hull boat. You start looking at anything much bigger and the X-Type is right out of there. The XF (as long as you don't get the supercharged 5.0L motor) has an unbraked trailer weight of 750 KG or a braked trailer weight of 1850 KG. Either way, you are still limited to a tongue weight of 75 KG.

HOpefully this gives you atleast a starting point to figure out if the Jaguar line of cars can even do what you are after.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 AM

Thanks Thermo,

Boat is a 14,5" Fibreglass ski boat with 90 Mariner engine so not massively heavy. The Subaru is a flat 6 with 200 HP but good torque ratings and the X Type looks about the same with a slightly higher HP rating (205ish from memory).

We do run the boat and car into salt water so a $50k (NZD) plus car is not really an option as one of the bays where we have a batch is a mud flat that you essentially get the car up to the bottom of the trim in order to launch. We also tend (well the kids and the wife) to climb into the car wet (sigh).

My current tow bar is rated to 750kg and vertical of 75kg and is possibly a little on the light side (but not much).

From your above it looks like the X-Type is the only option however I did think the S-Type had an AWD drive option also.

The X-Type (in my opinion) is a little smaller in the back seat but the S-Type has that dreadful grill on it (Still my opinion here before I get flamed).

Still keen to hear opinions with all of the above and if anyone has any experience with Jags and Boats.

Cheers

Akka

Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

akka, I would get an actual weight on the boat/trailer and see which vehicle will handle what you are after. The only "downside" to the X-Type is the transfer case is not friendly to hard use. If you are going to be trailering the boat 2 or 3 times a year, then it will do what you want. You start using it more than that, the car might get expensive.

I am not aware of the S-TYpe having an AWD option. But, the S-Type guys would be more in the loop as to what the car has and doesn't.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

No AWD on the S-Type, only the X-Type, and the new XF's (but I don't think you can get the AWD XF in right hand drive, it's not sold in Australia or the UK anyhow...

If you're looking for something nice in a 4WD i've got a Land Rover Freelander 2, it'll tow 2 tonnes (more than it's own weight!) and its very comfortable. I'd suggest it's more suitable to an outdoor lifestyle than a Jag...

Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cambo351
No AWD on the S-Type, only the X-Type, and the new XF's (but I don't think you can get the AWD XF in right hand drive, it's not sold in Australia or the UK anyhow...

If you're looking for something nice in a 4WD i've got a Land Rover Freelander 2, it'll tow 2 tonnes (more than it's own weight!) and its very comfortable. I'd suggest it's more suitable to an outdoor lifestyle than a Jag...

Cheers - based on this I guess the Subaru is still the best option without going to a classic 4WD option (which I don't particularly like driving). Better to ask than to die wondering however.