XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar xf 2008 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xf 2008 not starting

i,ve been experiencing starting problems on my jaguar 2008 2.7d xf, The engine has failed to start when I press the start/stop button. The vents open, the lights come on etc at the first press, but no engine. If I press again, then everything just shuts down. I repeat this cycle a few times and I can hear bear "click" from the starter motor ( this has been checked and is confirm is not a starter problem) . i've replaced The car battery and smart key batteries has been change and charged. But the issue still present . Fuses appear to be good and the engine is not sized . I need to use the Emergency release on a gear shiftier in order to move it in neutral and try to start it, but no luck and there is a gearbox fault error message on a screen..Also now the smart keys ( I have 3 keys ) are not able to lock/unlock the car. I believe there is electrical fault and I would like to ask you if you are able to trace this sort of problems related with faulty ECU, PSM or other electrical unit in the car not just a car diagnostic for faulty codes?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi.

Not all new batteries are fully charged, so I would give it a while on a charger to be sure.
It's also not unheard of for a new battery to be faulty.
The click you hear from the starter is most likely the Solenoid and a low battery will cause that symptom.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 PM

That is the unfortunate thing about cars that have so many bells and electronic whistles as we have. There are soooooo many places where there can be an energy drain.

Wish you luck

Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 AM

Hi all
Thank you for your reply

What have been checked till now:
> Battery - It's a new battery fully charged + we have tried with extra power supply and again no luck
> Starter motor - not faulty
> Gear selector - not faulty but is not going up or down or is showing any gear position. I have tried with a second hand and when I plug it it was showing "D" but I was not able to moved in any position.
>Engine not size
> Fault code reader with MongoosePro - P177707 ( not 100% but it was linked to fault with the emergency release parking brake and the neutral gear ( solutions: Try to move the car clear the error , new solenoids valve pack or new TCM ) This one is in progress
> all fuse - no issues except in the engine bay fuse box I think there is a missing car relay !? on the diagram is pop up like number 14 ( I'll really appreciate if somebody post a pic on his fuse box for 2.7d engine ).

I have order a replacement Gearbox and keep you updated.
If you have any other ideas I'm lessen you .

Thank you

Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You have power, but if the transmission does not report being in Park position, the car will not start. Another clue is the car refusing to central lock, pointing to the same symptom. It does the same even if the hood is not detected shut, there is a sensor for that too. The parking solenoid needs to be looked at. The entire module with parking brake and mode buttons has been known to go bad as well.