XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF 2009 tranny jerk advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar XF 2009 tranny jerk advice!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience as me.. Basically, when braking to a full stop, my Jaguar XF has moments where the transmission would jerk two times making it feel as if the shifts are a bit off.. The RPMs seem dont jerk and seem to be fine, but the car itself jerks making it feel as if u got hit twice from behind.. Any advice would be great!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It's known as the "Lurch". Search for the web site. The guy is off the deep end but he did buy his Jag new so that would make a difference.

This really is a ZF problem and it affects a number of car brands using the 6 speed ZF. It's not a problem just a bit of a pain in the butt for a luxury car to do this. We have found on the S Type board to make sure you have the latest TCM software installed. You also can drive around it if you practice. Not great but a usable solution.

My 2005 STR has little to none of the Lurch after the software update. Some cars don't respond as well and continue to Lurch away!

Just remember that it causes no harm and is related to the gear box shifting down as you come to a stop.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

I feel your pain! I've gotten used to it, especially when the dealer said it was a software issue and would cost me 1200.00 to fix. Then I found out it wasn't causing damage so I just got used to it.
Now I'm dealing with the grayed out climate control on the touch screen. Why is it when it's a known issue, jaguar still expects you to pay??? IMO, if its a software problem affecting many cars, it should be covered under warranty.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM

I apologize for the delay in response. I do agree that this Jaguar CPO seems to be a bit crappy. I've had a few things that I wanted to get done on the car prior to having this warranty expire, and Jaguar attempts to state that the CPO doesnt cover those issues. The great news is, I met a fella that works for Jag and we hit it off. With this annoying tranny jerk issue, we had my vehicle's software updated. He updated both the transmission software, and the engine software and I was shocked to see that it was the software issue that caused the jerking. Its GONE! Its a huge relief. He had also told me that if the car would continue to jerk after the update of software, the issue that is common among Jaguars and Land Rovers are the leaking of the tranny oil. The car may be overloaded with transmission oil, or may simply not have enough of it. Draining all the oil out and mixing both new oil with the old may fix the jerking issue. Luckily my issue was the software. I hope this helps you guys with this issue, because I know exactly how irritating that jerk was once stopping the car.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Glad you reported back and that the software update fixed it.

Like I said my 2005 STR was almost completely cured by the update. Just every once in a while I get the jerk when coming to a stop.

I must say you are the first XF that I have heard with the problem. I thought Jaguar must have fixed it when they released the XF?

Don't forget to check if you have the leaking sleeve in the transmission. It was very common but again I have not heard any XF guys talk about it. The sleeve is where the wiring for the TCM enters the transmission case. The O-rings were not correct and the new sleeve has updated O-rings.

The sleeve is only about $15 BUT the pan has to be dropped to install it. Generally most people only change it when getting a fluid change since you are right there anyway.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

The trans jerk most report about in the XF is the car downshifting to 2nd when coming to a stop. It's very common on the XF. I notice it on my 09 XF SC only slightly. It isn't enough for passengers in my car to notice it. Some make it sound like it's horrible in their cars.

The following users liked this post:
Mickmiester (11-12-2017)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem on my '10 XF Portfolio. The dealer replaced a control module in the transmission and it has been good ever since. All covered by warranty.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also had same issue on my 09. Got progressively worse over a few months. Dealer reprogrammed under warranty and has been fine since

Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2010 xfr downshifts hard when i am almost completely stopped. i read that instead of having it reprogrammed at a dealership you can "flash" the ecu yourself by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to complete the ground and release all the stored energy in the capacitors to reset this issue. im not saying i believe it but i am curious and want to try it. any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigD660
my 2010 xfr downshifts hard when i am almost completely stopped. i read that instead of having it reprogrammed at a dealership you can "flash" the ecu yourself by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to complete the ground and release all the stored energy in the capacitors to reset this issue. im not saying i believe it but i am curious and want to try it. any thoughts?
Ahh, D- thats a tough one.. I honestly highly doubt that resetting would fix the issue but maybe it's worth a try.. its a tough call. I got a nice deal and ended up paying 100$ for the update of the tranny and engine and luckily it was a success. . Resetting may lead to having a similar issue once the car has been driven for a few miles.. reprogramming the software updates the shifts of the rpms

Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dayzel108: I own a American origin 2009 XF Super and live in Canada. Is there any way I can access the "flash of the ECU" without going to the dealer? Im in a city with no Jaguar dealership and when I contacted one in a city 2.5 hours away, he is demanding a $600 fee to even touch my car, since it was not purchased through him or conventional Canadian dealership channel. I would like to solve this lurch problem of my transmission by way of flashing the ECU myself and good friend who is a very accomplished mechanic and has access to all manner of equipment? Any thoughts?