XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar xf 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar xf 2012

Yes, I have a jaguar F 2012 I bought it with 58,000 miles on it and now has 63. Thousand I was driving it and dumb. A light came on restricted performance so I pulled over shut it off and started it up and like five minutes and it was fine a week later did the same thing so my friend said he seen a puff of white smoke when I shut it off he said your head gasket might’ve went and never overheated and I didn’t drive it after I had a flatbed to my house I live in Clinton Connecticut so I brought it somewhere and told the guy I think the head gasket might be blown like I said never overheated and he said it was but I’m having doubts about his conclusion. I had a flatbed to the garage and I haven’t drove it since the other day , I drove it up and down my big *** parking lot to get it first I checked the oil there was no foam or anything in it. I got it still no foam or anything and it was seemed like it was running fine no more restricted performance nothing from the computer , I haven’t drove it since I just seen on YouTube that the PCV valve of it shot could give me the same symptoms of because I got a code of a misfire this week I bought a kit that checks for head gasket failure it’s purple liquid you put in this tube and you put it in the radiator. Don’t get it wet and you draw up. If there’s any fuels in there it’ll turn it yellow the fluid , starting to think it might not be the head gasket. I mean the car we had 63,000 miles on it now I can’t see that going like that. I always had Mercedes Cadillacs and I love this car this Jaguar is unbelievable. It was ahead of its time in 2012 with options and everything else and I love the 5 L engine high-performance , if anybody has any ideas about this I’d appreciate it. If you post them I would give you my email but I don’t think I could do that I’m allowed. I also bought another one same year 2012 portfolio and I was putting pads on it my friend snapped the Lugnuts the first one he went to takeoff he snapped it , what a pain in the *** that we drilled it out four times it’s still in there not much left. I just got a hammer chisel and I’m gonna try to get the rest out but I have to sell it I just I’m on disability retirement and I can’t afford the car and I’m very disappointed upset about. I love these cars Have to change the serpentine belt and put pads on it. This car is like brand new inside out it’s mint even the paint job looks like it’s brand new. I love this car it’s white the other one is your blue or something looks like black sometimes very disappointed that I have to sell this. I love this car, but I can’t afford it anymore , but if anybody has any suggestions I’d appreciate it. Thank you very much. Have a nice day and be safe out there.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:12 AM
Default Restricted performance

Hi, don't panic, I'm sure it's not a head gasket and you don't need to flatbed it anywhere. It is perfectly fine do drive carefully with the restricted performance sign on.
Your problem is most likely a split turbocharger hose. So whenever you accelerate hard and the engine call for boost the light will come on. And the puff of smoke is a good indicator.
The hoses are not expensive and are fairly easy to fit, so check them out.
Good luck. Let me know how you get on.
Noel

Old 01-24-2024, 06:28 AM

Yes Noel, thanks for the information but you got a couple things wrong. I don’t have a turbo charger I got the 5 L the last year they made it high-performance engine and dumb. I’m gonna check the card today and I’ll put it on here when I find out thanks again, I only had the car five months and only had 58,000 miles on it when I got it. I wanted to cry when this happened and I got another one the same year it’s a portfolio and I have to sell it I can’t work no more I got a physical problems and I’m on Social Security disability and you don’t get crap every month , so I gotta sell it a car it’s a white the paint job looks like it’s brand new right out of the factory with tan seats with black on them. What a car I love the car I’ve had Mercedes Cadillac usually but this car was ahead of its time in 2012 with the options , I love the car. It’s the best car I have ever owned in my 64 years on alive all right thanks again.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

The 5.0L SC engine was made years after your 2012?
Why are you running a poll? That won't fix your car?

Can you post what error codes you have? Not the description of the code but the actual numbers?
Can you DIY any of the repairs? If not it will be an expensive lesson owning a 12 year old Jaguar without a warranty?

Old 02-29-2024, 08:57 PM
Default Jaguar xf portfolio 2012

Hi

Old 02-29-2024, 09:03 PM
Default Jaguar XF 2012

Thank you for responding to my thread. I have a 2012 jaguar XF I’m not an expert on it I’m used to working on cars from 20 years ago with all this electronics and stuff. It’s a pain in the *** especially this car very stick your hand in the engine, a friend of mine seen a puff of white smoke. He said he thinks my head gasket went so I didn’t drive it. I had a flatbed to my house in Clinton Connecticut. I let it sit then I heated it up and never overheated, but I turned it on to get it. I checked the oil there’s nothing in it no white smoke coming out. I’ve seen a car with a blown head gasket and there’s a lot of smoke coming out , I wasn’t sure so I got this kit to test it and I’m gonna do that once and for all I really don’t think it is and then I found out online that if the PCP valve goes, it could give you the same symptoms that I had misfiring and he could even cause white smoke. They come out the back and residue under the radiator cap but I’ll know this and then I’m gonna scan it And I’ll put the back on here as far as I know and I’m not an expert 2012 was the last year and the 5.0 I performance engine. I bought it with 57,000 miles on that 63 this happened I wanted to cry and I love the car there’s not I never drove a car like this one and I’ve had a Mercedes Cadillac , I also have a 2012 with 47,000 miles on it except portfolio and I’m trying to sell it because I can’t afford it. I’m on Social Security disability. It needs a serpentine belt and the front brake pads and my friend went to take the tire off to do the brake pads and the lug nuts snapped another headache. We drilled it out four times. There’s a little bit left to go and I just got a power hammer. I think it’s called to get it out . I’m selling it for $17,500 but it’s a mint car. The paint job is like brand new no scratches of swirls the interior is like brand new it’s got a Beijing tear with black trim. I got custom mats and stuff and it’s loaded. I really want the car. I wish I had the money but I don’t Far as those extended warranties go I don’t know if you know this but say eight months later the car breaks down they only pay for something they give you money for the amount of the eight months that you put money into it they don’t completely fix the card to give you back your own money, so those are useless cause I was gonna get one and then I read the contract and I found that out. Make sure you always read these contracts. I will post what happens when I do Jaguar with the bone head gasket. I really don’t believe it it is blown. thank you again very much and you take care.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

In an effort to maybe clarify things a little I am fairly sure the OP has the AJ133 5.0 litre V8 naturally aspirated and not the SC version.
In the XF (and every Jag except the XK) 2011/12 was the last year of the AJ133 NA before it was replaced by the AJ126 V6.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:33 PM
Default Jaguar 2012

Thanks for the information a couple things got mistaken though it doesn’t have a turbo charger it’s got a 5.0 high-performance engine in it and I don’t think it is the head gasket my friend seen one little puff of white smoke come out when I shut it off Never overheated and I had it flatbed to my house in Clinton Connecticut and I scanned it and I had to misfires it was sitting and then I let it sit for a couple months and I started it up. Check the oil was nothing in it this weekend I’m gonna go check it with the kit with the purple fluid and the cylinder that you draw up the fumes in the antifreeze if there is any and it turns yellow and I’m gonna check the oil and let it run for about 10 minutes. I had started it up and drove it up and down the driveway to get it. I didn’t see no white smoke and there was nothing in on the radiator cap or inside. I really don’t think it’s the head gasket, but I found out if the PCP valve is shot, it causes the same symptoms, misfire white smoke and even something under the cap in the oil. I’ve seen a car with a blown head gasket and it’s a lot of smoke coming out and this didn’t do that and never overheated so I’m praying it ain’t but I just listed my other Jaguar 2012 F portfolio to sell because I can’t afford to drive it anymore. I’m on disability Social securety and I really love the cards it’s gorgeous but I guess I’ll go back to Cadillac. Thanks again and I’ll look for your reply.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks OzXFR. Johnny can you fill us in on EXACTLY what engine you have in your car?

Again we need codes and forget what your friend says. These are complicated completely networked cars.
Again I ask what codes do you have?
Have they been erased and checked to see what comes back?

This is the only way you can fix your car.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:29 PM
Default Head gasket

I was doing the gonna do the test on it this weekend on the 2012 XF the car never overheated I brought it by AutoZone. They scanned it and it said some cylinders were misfire and that was it. The restricted performance came on and I shut it off and waited. I figured it would reset and it did a couple weeks later came out again, then my friend told me there was a puff of white smoke so I didn’t wanna take a chance but it wasn’t overheating so I had a flatbed to my house and clinton Connecticut. I had it once I got it hot. There was no stuff on the radiator cap in the overflow. No I didn’t see any smoke coming out , so now I got the kit and I’m gonna test it but the batteries dead and the key under the trunk lid is not opening the trunk so I found out that under the passenger side mat rug. You could jump it there there’s a bowl on the fuse box to hook up to and I could ground it to the frame. I’m gonna do that this coming week I’ve been sick With stomach flu I just couldn’t believe I bought it with 57,000 miles on it was mint like new and at 63,000. I had this problem I wanted to cry and I also have another one that I’m selling 2012 XL portfolio and I put it on here. I think it was here For 17 five it was only 47,000 miles on it is practically mint. The paint job is like brand new and interior. I’ll let you know what happens when I test it. I found out that if the PCP valves are shot that it could do the same symptoms as a head gasket, the misfire, white smoke, and stuff on the radiator cap , I got that kit with the purple fluid and you put it in the overflow radiator and it pulls up fuse if there’s fumes in there it turns yellow then you know for sure. Thank you for replying though and it doesn’t have a supercharger turbo. It’s a straight up 5 L high-performance engine , I think it’s the last year they made that kind of

Old 03-02-2024, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Johnny, it would be best if you confirmed once and for all that your XF has the 5.0 V8 naturally aspirated engine (or not!).
I suggest you take a pic of the engine compartment with the engine cover removed and post it here, that way we will know for sure.
Also it would be a good idea to stop referring to the engine as the "5 L high performance engine" as the high performance version of the 5 L is the supercharged (SC) engine not the (much lower output) naturally aspirated version, and calling yours the "5 L high performance engine" just gets people thinking you have the SC version.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-02-2024 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:59 AM
Default Head gasket

I’m sorry about calling it up 5 L high-performance engine engine. It’s just that it’s so fast unbelievably fast and that’s not even using the paddle shifters and the extra option of the pressing the button with the flag on it I’m new to this I bought this car with 57,000 miles on it and at 63,000 I had these problems I wanted to cry but I love the car This week I’m gonna check for the head gasket I’m gonna do the test with the cylinder with the purple liquid in it that will turn yellow if there’s fumes in the antifreeze and I’m gonna check the oil and do a thorough check. I’ve been sick with the flu, so I haven’t done it yet, but I’m gonna try to get it this week and once and for all find out , I seen online that if the PCP valve is shot, it could cause it to misfire which when it was scanned at AutoZone that’s what came up misfires and it also could send white smoke out and put residue under the radiator cap. I was kind of shocked about that. I really don’t think it is a couple months ago I tested it by starting it getting it hot and it was no residue in the oil and I couldn’t see anything and I didn’t really see no white smoke and I seen a video of Car with a blown head gasket and you would know because it kicks out a lot of lotta lotta white smoke And I didn’t see no oil in the radiator fluid or nothing. The battery is dead right now and the key for the trunk isn’t working so I found out by lock that the fuse box under the passenger side rug. There’s one there too. There’s three altogether as a bolt with a big nut on it and I found out you could jump it there with a positive and clipped the negative to a ground like the door or something so I could start it up and it never overheated also , I just got restricted performance and I shut it off and started it back up after five minutes and it was fine and then two weeks later it happened again then I shut it off and then it was fine but my son-in-law said he seen a puff come out when I shut it off I didn’t want to take any chances so I flatbed it to Clinton Connecticut from New Haven where I live and I haven’t drove it since it’s been a couple months or so. Thanks for your reply and I appreciate all your help and I will keep you updated. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

2012 was probably was the last year for normally aspirated V8s. I had a 2010 and loved the car except for the transmission and there were complaints about its performance after about 20,000 miles. The solution (my interpretation) was to ditch the normally aspirated version with its ford designed transmission. The supercharged engines always had the ZF transmission and Jag continued to offer those.

OP, if you don’t have experience diagnosing car problems this yourself or have a trusted independent garage, this may be a very expensive venture. Agree these are nice cars but they are not for everyone.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:35 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Justabout
2012 was probably was the last year for normally aspirated V8s. I had a 2010 and loved the car except for the transmission and there were complaints about its performance after about 20,000 miles. The solution (my interpretation) was to ditch the normally aspirated version with its ford designed transmission. The supercharged engines always had the ZF transmission and Jag continued to offer those.

OP, if you don’t have experience diagnosing car problems this yourself or have a trusted independent garage, this may be a very expensive venture. Agree these are nice cars but they are not for everyone.
ALL Jaguar XF cars have ZF transmissions!!!

Old 03-03-2024, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you six rotors!
The amount of just plain BS about our cars is truly immense!

Johnny again and again?
We need the actural codes and then erase all the codes. Drive some more and then read the codes again.
If you got miss fire codes please post them.

It's the PCV (Not PCP) and yes the diaphragms may need replacing but stop shot gunning parts? You must let the car tell you what's wrong.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
ALL Jaguar XF cars have ZF transmissions!!!
technically correct but Ford developed their own version of the 6HP 26 called the 6R 60 and 6R 80. One of these was used in the 2008 to 2012 XF V8.

I suspect the supercharged engine used the unmodified version due to the higher torque requirements.

Last edited by Justabout; 03-03-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:49 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
technically correct but ford developed their own version of the 6hp 26 called the 6r 60 and 6r 80. One of these was used in the 2008 to 2012 xf v8.

I suspect the supercharged engine used the unmodified version due to the higher torque requirements.
no ford variant was ever fitted to a jaguar by jaguar.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Again no! The Ford variation is built under license from ZF. They did NOT develop it! Note there is also a GM 6 speed version developed about the same way based on the ZF 6 speed.

Again listen to Six Rotors. Jaguar ONLY installed the ZF manufactured versions. Please stop pretending these are all Ford products...they are NOT!

Old 03-04-2024, 04:11 PM

I agree the transmission was based on a ZF design. We’ll have to agree to disagree that Ford modified it. I don’t care who design/manufactured it if the performance is there. In my case, it was a fail and I wasn’t surprised.

OP, sorry for the hijack and good luck.

Last edited by Justabout; 03-04-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:31 PM
Default Jaguar xf 2012 Portfolio

Originally Posted by Justabout
I agree the transmission was based on a ZF design. We’ll have to agree to disagree that Ford modified it. I don’t care who design/manufactured it if the performance is there. In my case, it was a fail and I wasn’t surprised.

OP, sorry for the hijack and good luck.
I think I got the right thread, but I have no error codes. No check engine light the belt was squeaking. The only thing it said was brake pads were low. My friend was going to put the pads on, but the idiot snappe a lug nut. So we had to drill it out and we got most of it out. I had to buy another tool to finish it off Is an air hammer with the right bit. Maybe 20% left of it. I do love this car but I can’t afford it anymore anymore. Makes me wanna cry because I love this car more than any other cars I had and I’ve had Mercedes and Cadillacs. still not a scratch not a swirl nothing it’s an unbelievable car like a race car if you need it and at 50 or 100 miles an hour or 120 and rides the same like a cloud no sounds or no noise And it’s completely loaded with all options that I never had a car with so many options. It was ahead of its time I think in 2012 and it’s only got 47,000 miles on it just turned.

Quick Reply: Jaguar xf 2012