XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Audio Bluetooth A2DP

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF Audio Bluetooth A2DP

I took delivery of 2011 XF Premium a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I love the looks and the engine noise from the powerful 5 Litre.

A key thing for me was to be able to stream audio from my iPhone while still being able to use the cars own bluetooth for hands free phone. The XF (annoyingly) does not support A2DP which is what is needed for this.

Well, I am pleased to say that I found the perfect solution for $45. The Blackberry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Yes, I know it is for Blackberrys, but it works fine for iPhone and presumably any other bluetooth device.

The device needs power which can come from the Aux power socket in the glovebox between the seats. Thus the device sits in the glovebox and you never even need to open it. That power socket is configured to turn off with the car so the device powers on and off when you start and stop the car.

What really pleasantly surprised me was that the iPhone (3G by the way) pairs perfectly with BOTH the car phone bluetooth AND with the Blackberry device. When I am listening to music and the phone rings, music mutes and the phone gets priority. After the call ends music comes back.

It couldn't work any better! This is way better than using the IPod cable and navigating through crappy folders on the main interface. I would love to hear if anyone finds this useful and tries it out!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a really great discovery. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if this will this work with the Android phones, particularly the EVO 4G?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyW
I took delivery of 2011 XF Premium a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I love the looks and the engine noise from the powerful 5 Litre.

A key thing for me was to be able to stream audio from my iPhone while still being able to use the cars own bluetooth for hands free phone. The XF (annoyingly) does not support A2DP which is what is needed for this.

Well, I am pleased to say that I found the perfect solution for $45. The Blackberry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Yes, I know it is for Blackberrys, but it works fine for iPhone and presumably any other bluetooth device.

The device needs power which can come from the Aux power socket in the glovebox between the seats. Thus the device sits in the glovebox and you never even need to open it. That power socket is configured to turn off with the car so the device powers on and off when you start and stop the car.

What really pleasantly surprised me was that the iPhone (3G by the way) pairs perfectly with BOTH the car phone bluetooth AND with the Blackberry device. When I am listening to music and the phone rings, music mutes and the phone gets priority. After the call ends music comes back.

It couldn't work any better! This is way better than using the IPod cable and navigating through crappy folders on the main interface. I would love to hear if anyone finds this useful and tries it out!

Just curious, the blackberry device looks like it interfaces with the AUX jack in the car. I have a monster cable Icable (Monster® iCable® for Car (Mini to Mini) for iPod® and iPhone™) that I used in my lexus to connect my Iphone to the audio system. Would that not be the same thing without the hassle of connecting to bluetooth? I have also used it in the Jag and it works rather well but I almost always use the Ipod cable because it charges my phone, and while I do agree that the folders interface on the Ipod cable is terrible, if you use the AUX function you cannot control the ipod (at least changing songs) with the steering wheel controls which I really find advantageous. Just my opinion. Wish there was a way to use the ipod cable and use the actual interface on the ipod/iphone, that would be ideal.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried this on my car tonight. It is a 2012 XF. I had my blue tooth audio playing music from my Samsung galaxy S2. I then made a call using the voice commands. The music stopped, the call went through as usual. After the call completed, the music came back on.

Am I missing something or is it because I have a 2012?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I tried this on my car tonight. It is a 2012 XF. I had my blue tooth audio playing music from my Samsung galaxy S2. I then made a call using the voice commands. The music stopped, the call went through as usual. After the call completed, the music came back on.

Am I missing something or is it because I have a 2012?
The question is about A2DP support in the XF bluetooth. Advanced Audio Distribution Profile is a Bluetooth profile that allows for the wireless transmission of stereo audio from an A2DP capable source. This means you can use your device, like a Blackberry which is A2DP capable, to play stereo audio wirelessly through your stereo or headphones. The alternative is to use a wired connection or an A2DP device which is wired into the stereo and picks up the signal like the blackberry gateway also mentioned above. This is different than the standard voice gateway connection for using the phone which is mono and only active during calls.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is from my manual, it sounds like it supports HFP and A2DP. So is this new for 2012?

The Jaguar Bluetooth® system supports Bluetooth® Hands-Free Profile (HFP) Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile
(AVRCP). Note: HFP and A2DP/AVRCP profile can be connected independently, so a phone can be connected via one, while a media device can be connected via the other, at the same time.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there an aftermarket Electronics system for 2011 XJ?

Hi - as i am sure many of you would agree, everything about the stereo and navigation systems on the 2011 XJ are awful. (Ridiculously slow/non-responsive touch screen, horrible menus that don't give any real control, settings that constantly jump around without reason, 1989-like technology entering addresses in navigation, maps that don't display anything relevant, worthless traffic display, etc. etc. etc.)

Is it advisable to rip that stuff out and put in a really high-end replacement that has navigation, good-sounding stereo, bluetooth antenna that doesn't suck, satellite radio antenna that can handle driving under a tree without losing signal, etc.?

Or am i nuts, and i'll void all kinds of warranty stuff, and there are really no high-end, appropriate looking systems out there that would fit in that hole?

thanks for your help - love my car but am completely bummed about the electronics

Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I find the nav system and general audio interface(s) in my 2011 XFR to be light years ahead of what was in my 2008 Audi S4 (awful) and a bit better than my 2009 Mazda CX-9. I am pretty sure that with this sort of thing it is a case of not being able to please all the people all the time. Is there a manufacturer out there that does this stuff brilliantly to the point where everyone agrees it is an excellent set up? I really don't have much issue with the Jag system. Granted, it isn't in the Apple league in terms of swift response and intuitivity but it does everything I need it to do!

I saw in the CX-16 concept that they just have a system that replicates your smart phone screen on a larger in-dash touch screen, and uses your smart phone as the system controller. This is the way forward in my view.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting. How's the sound quality? Isn't Bluetooth bandwidth for audio streaming rather limited?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A2DP can stream high quality stereo sound.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have the Blackberry Bluetooth adapter in two Jags they sound wonderful I use my Ipad and my Iphone with them

Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why not just use the AUX port?

What's the difference between using the A2DP adapter and plugging an iPhone directly into the AUX port? Does the Jag know the difference? Seems to me that the adapter is one more device, one more power consumer, one more thing in the chain that can go wrong. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark

PS I bought the A2DP adapter and got it to work. Then my wife asked why I didn't just use the AUX port. I am an engineer, and she is a mortal. Therefore, I must have had a good reason, right? ;-)

PPS depending on the answer to my question, I may have a barely-used A2DP adapter for sale cheap quite soon.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Doesn't using the USB to Apple Dock connection allow you to actually see the songs displayed on the screen, or did I misread that somewhere? A reviewer was complaining about how switching the songs worked. I didn't think that was possible via A2DP. It certainly is not possible using the AUX audio port.

That would be one reason I would prefer to use the actual iPod / USB connection.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Now that I finally have mine and have been playing around with it, the iPod port is much preferred over the AUX port for the reasons I stated above. Bluetooth adapters as far as I know are restricted to using the AUX port as well, so same problems. It's nice to be able to control the songs from the steering wheel rather than the phone itself.

One caveat, it only controls and displays iPod app songs for the iDevices. Won't display song info or allow you to forward in Pandora, for example.

Just ordered the Scosche passPORT adapter so the phone charges as well. Not the most advanced system, plenty of new cars and head units that interface with the actual Pandora app on the phone, etc. but it's good enough for me. With this car you kind of have to keep your eyes on the road and speedo anyway .

Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, I feel like I am in the stone age. I have been ripping my CDs to MP3s and burning CDs to run in the CD player. I did test the USB so I know that works.

Now if I knew how to hook up the Samsung Galaxy S2 for full functionality .............

Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
This is from my manual, it sounds like it supports HFP and A2DP. So is this new for 2012?

The Jaguar Bluetooth® system supports Bluetooth® Hands-Free Profile (HFP) Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile
(AVRCP). Note: HFP and A2DP/AVRCP profile can be connected independently, so a phone can be connected via one, while a media device can be connected via the other, at the same time.
I just paired my Motorola Atrix with my 2012 XKR and found out it only supports the Bluetooth hands free profile, not the A2DP!!! I confirmed this in my owners manual. So I connected the Atrix to the USB port but the XKR screen indicated that there were no audio files on the USB port. All my MP3 files are on the external SD card so maybe it's a setting on the Atrix.

Anyway, looks like the 2012 XF has better Bluetooth functionality than the XK.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Default A2DP standard Bluetooth

Yes, it should work with nearly any phone, even older flip phones. Many mobile phones support A2DP which is an industry standard Bluetooth protocol. I have Bluetooth stereo in all my cars. I added it to my 1998 XJR and did a complete write up on that install http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf. My old Motorola Z6c slider, V710, and LG Voyagers even supported A2DP streaming many years ago. I now have a Droid 3 and it works great.

In fact, if you use this or any other A2DP device with your Android phone, you should also install the app I created to handle the volume and several other things. It is on Android Market and it is free and open source with no ads. Just scan the QR code below or search Android Market for "A2DP Volume".

You can see the details of the app including all the source code here: a2dpvolume - For Android devices to automatically adjust the media volume on bluetooth connect and reset it on disconnect, and much more - Google Project Hosting

Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I wonder if this will this work with the Android phones, particularly the EVO 4G?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF Audio Bluetooth A2DP