XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Audio Bluetooth A2DP

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Atrix does support A2DP. Make sure you have it selected in the settings on the phone. See details here. The car likely does not support A2DP however.

Originally Posted by mjsammon
I just paired my Motorola Atrix with my 2012 XKR and found out it only supports the Bluetooth hands free profile, not the A2DP!!! I confirmed this in my owners manual. So I connected the Atrix to the USB port but the XKR screen indicated that there were no audio files on the USB port. All my MP3 files are on the external SD card so maybe it's a setting on the Atrix.

Anyway, looks like the 2012 XF has better Bluetooth functionality than the XK.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 AM

Just wondering, why not just keep an old iPod permanently connected in the center console? I had both a directly plugged in iPod and a Bluetooth connected iPhone in my previous car and I found the plugged In iPod was much easier to use, epecially with the steering wheel controls. On my jag, I didn't even try to use Bluetooth for music. I just transferred my old iPod worth about $10 and connected it directly. Didn't even realize that Bluetooth for music was even missing. Controlling music from a bluetooth controlled phone is more difficult, adds more bulk to the phone and more expensive than buying an old used iPod.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 AM

Oops, I guess the device in question goes in the car and not on the iPhone.... I was dealing with this problem years ago before the iOS was updated to support Bluetooth music. Nevertheless, I still think a cheap iPod directly connected to the USB port is the way to go.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
I just paired my Motorola Atrix with my 2012 XKR and found out it only supports the Bluetooth hands free profile, not the A2DP!!! I confirmed this in my owners manual. So I connected the Atrix to the USB port but the XKR screen indicated that there were no audio files on the USB port. All my MP3 files are on the external SD card so maybe it's a setting on the Atrix.

Anyway, looks like the 2012 XF has better Bluetooth functionality than the XK.
Have you figured out how to use your atrix and get the songs to display on the Jaguar touch screen?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by InJapan
Just wondering, why not just keep an old iPod permanently connected in the center console? I had both a directly plugged in iPod and a Bluetooth connected iPhone in my previous car and I found the plugged In iPod was much easier to use, epecially with the steering wheel controls. On my jag, I didn't even try to use Bluetooth for music. I just transferred my old iPod worth about $10 and connected it directly. Didn't even realize that Bluetooth for music was even missing. Controlling music from a bluetooth controlled phone is more difficult, adds more bulk to the phone and more expensive than buying an old used iPod.
I don't use iStuff. I like having all my latest music, radio, etc with my so I can use it in all my cars (I have 4 cars). I can use Pandora, Slacker, TuniIn, etc since the device is internet connected too. I also use voice navigation and hands free calling. My app (a2dpvolume - For Android devices to automatically adjust the media volume on bluetooth connect and reset it on disconnect, and much more - Google Project Hosting ) reads my text messages to me too. I can do all of this without touching my phone. What bulk are you talking about? Maybe iStuff needs an adapter (I dont know) but Android phones have Bluetooth built in and no adapter is needed. As for the car side, I wired in Bluetooth systems to all of them. My phone never leaves my pocket. It auto-connects and does what it needs to do. It uses all voice commands. I can voice command play lists or call contacts using voice commands. Using any device that requires you to concentrate on the screen for more than a second is a driver distraction and a hazard to everyone.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Relax Man... You are a bit touchy. I know that android is popular but I thought everyone older than 2 owned an iPod. Do you use a Zune?

The early iPhones did not have A2DP... Although it did have Bluetooth, A2DP was added as a software upgrade. I think before android even existed.
Everything you mention is usually supported without any add on apps or wiring anything up.

My iPhone does everything that you seem so proud of, I expect all phones to be just as competent.

My only point is that an old iPod directly connected to the iPod port on the XF makes music control much easier since Jaguar designed it that way and works better than either android or iPhone A2DP connection. Although I will say that the Ford system is better than Jaguar's adaptation of music players.

The tread seemed to be focusing on a work around that in my opinion can be solved cheaper and easier.

If this has become an android and not a Jaguar XF tread... I will politely leave

Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by InJapan
Relax Man... You are a bit touchy. I know that android is popular but I thought everyone older than 2 owned an iPod. Do you use a Zune?

The early iPhones did not have A2DP... Although it did have Bluetooth, A2DP was added as a software upgrade. I think before android even existed.
Everything you mention is usually supported without any add on apps or wiring anything up.

My iPhone does everything that you seem so proud of, I expect all phones to be just as competent.

My only point is that an old iPod directly connected to the iPod port on the XF makes music control much easier since Jaguar designed it that way and works better than either android or iPhone A2DP connection. Although I will say that the Ford system is better than Jaguar's adaptation of music players.

The tread seemed to be focusing on a work around that in my opinion can be solved cheaper and easier.

If this has become an android and not a Jaguar XF tread... I will politely leave

Didn't mean to appear "touchy". I guess I get tired of hearing about all the iStuff as if it is the only option. It is only one of many options for listening to music. If you don't mind having a device tethered in your console all the time, and you have already followed the apple way, then it works for you. This thread was about A2DP streaming though. I don't think anyone was offended that you proposed the iStuff alternative to A2DP. You don't have to leave and this is not an Android only thread. However, we do not all own iStuff so you were mistaken there. Too many great alternatives exist.

The great thing about A2DP is that everyone can use it. Even many dumb phones supported it. I was streaming A2DP and voice commanding play lists with my old Motorola Z6c, LG Voyager, etc, many years ago. Another benefit is that you don't need to get the phone out of your pocket (or purse if that applies) and you are not distracted by looking at a screen to navigate playlists. It also pauses when you receive a call, then resumes when you are done. Having 4 vehicles I don't need to have my music in 4 places, I only have it on my phone. When I get new music it is always with me. I just bought a $44 A2DP and Hands Free Bluetooth device that I can even use in rental cars to get all those same features.

I believe the future may be in DLNA. That is already making its was to smart TV's and Blue Ray players. It allows you to browse playlists, music, photos, and video anywhere in the network. The car can become a wireless LAN that any DLNA/WiFi enabled player can connect and stream to. It looks like all platforms are supporting it now including Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Windows.

Last edited by jroal; 01-11-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read this thread a few times and it confused me. In the 2012 you CAN do streaming audio. I realize that we are talking about a 2011 with the initial post.
The Blackberry device looks cool. There are a couple of those on the market. What it lacks for me (and perhaps the main reason why I pursued a 2012’s AD2P setup) is the ability to fast forward a song. To do this with the Blackberry Bluetooth setup described here, you will need to do that on the phone.

Another possible option would be to go with a pendant Bluetooth device. Such as Headsets & Headphones or HP / Hewlett Packard Wireless Bluetooth Pendant KD031AA#ABA B&H. I can’t say I have any personal experience with either of these units. But they should both give you the option of if you want to expose the device/pendant somewhere, you will be able to fast forward your songs without touching your phone.

Just another thought to hopefully compliment TonyW’s original find.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by jroal
Didn't mean to appear "touchy". I guess I get tired of hearing about all the iStuff as if it is the only option. It is only one of many options for listening to music. If you don't mind having a device tethered in your console all the time, and you have already followed the apple way, then it works for you. This thread was about A2DP streaming though. I don't think anyone was offended that you proposed the iStuff alternative to A2DP. You don't have to leave and this is not an Android only thread. However, we do not all own iStuff so you were mistaken there. Too many great alternatives exist.

The great thing about A2DP is that everyone can use it. Even many dumb phones supported it. I was streaming A2DP and voice commanding play lists with my old Motorola Z6c, LG Voyager, etc, many years ago. Another benefit is that you don't need to get the phone out of your pocket (or purse if that applies) and you are not distracted by looking at a screen to navigate playlists. It also pauses when you receive a call, then resumes when you are done. Having 4 vehicles I don't need to have my music in 4 places, I only have it on my phone. When I get new music it is always with me. I just bought a $44 A2DP and Hands Free Bluetooth device that I can even use in rental cars to get all those same features.

I believe the future may be in DLNA. That is already making its was to smart TV's and Blue Ray players. It allows you to browse playlists, music, photos, and video anywhere in the network. The car can become a wireless LAN that any DLNA/WiFi enabled player can connect and stream to. It looks like all platforms are supporting it now including Android, Apple, Blackberry, and Windows.
You are probably right about DLNA.
I just wish the auto companies would realize that we are in an interconnected world and that portable music and phones are an integral part of our lives. There is no reason they can't make great interfaces standard for all cars...even the inexpensive ones. It galls me every time I go online to see how much a car built to my specs would cost and find out how much they want to charge me to be able to use my music player or phone. Atleast Jaguar doesn't do that but their interface leaves much to be desired.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 AM

I also find plugging in an old ipod and syncing it once in awhile works well for music.

But I'll check out the adapter because sometimes I watch/listen to video podcasts like CNBC's Fast Money and I end up downloading those almost daily to my phone.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 AM

It's showing up as $99 on Amazon. Where can I find it for $45?

Originally Posted by TonyW
I took delivery of 2011 XF Premium a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I love the looks and the engine noise from the powerful 5 Litre.

A key thing for me was to be able to stream audio from my iPhone while still being able to use the cars own bluetooth for hands free phone. The XF (annoyingly) does not support A2DP which is what is needed for this.

Well, I am pleased to say that I found the perfect solution for $45. The Blackberry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Yes, I know it is for Blackberrys, but it works fine for iPhone and presumably any other bluetooth device.

The device needs power which can come from the Aux power socket in the glovebox between the seats. Thus the device sits in the glovebox and you never even need to open it. That power socket is configured to turn off with the car so the device powers on and off when you start and stop the car.

What really pleasantly surprised me was that the iPhone (3G by the way) pairs perfectly with BOTH the car phone bluetooth AND with the Blackberry device. When I am listening to music and the phone rings, music mutes and the phone gets priority. After the call ends music comes back.

It couldn't work any better! This is way better than using the IPod cable and navigating through crappy folders on the main interface. I would love to hear if anyone finds this useful and tries it out!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own 2009 jag xf SC. How do i activate bluetooth to play music from my iphone r ipad without having to use the adapter?
Thanks in advanced

Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
I tried this on my car tonight. It is a 2012 XF. I had my blue tooth audio playing music from my Samsung galaxy S2. I then made a call using the voice commands. The music stopped, the call went through as usual. After the call completed, the music came back on.

Am I missing something or is it because I have a 2012?
Couldn't find how to PM you so an open question about Bluetooth/Galaxy SII/2012XF as I have the same combination but can't get the darn thing to work.

Making a connection is no problem and I can stream music as well as make and receive telephone calls BUT I can't hear any incoming audio on the calls. Callers can hear me (hello, hello...) but all I get is silence with a bit of feedback. I can't find a solution.

Did you have any setting up issues?

Regards.....5SeriesConvert

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Won't your phone stream to the car? You have a 2012 and I'm pretty sure my Galaxy S3 was able to stream music directly without using an adapter on a loaner 2012 XF I had.

In my 2009 XF I use the blackberry gateway and it works great as noted in the first post. You need to make sure the Bluetooth for the car is set to phone only and the Bluetooth for the gateway is set to media only. It sounds like you set the gateway Bluetooth up for both phone and music. You need to go into your phone's Bluetooth settings for each device.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Default All sorted

One of the posts pointed me in the right direction. I diconnected my phone and started again, connecting first to the Media Bloothtooth and then to the phone. It seems all is now fine. Audio is very good so well done Jaguar (but you've still got a looong way to go to beat a 5 Series seat)

5SeriesConvert

Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 PM

and stuff like this is exactly why i joined this forum. this was a problem i noticed today when i had a bit of driving to do. i have a similar item for my bose speakers at home, hopefully this blackberry adapter will do the trick with my xf. will update once i've bought it.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver

I'm now using this product in my 2011 XF Prem with my Android device.
Works great. The beauty of this device is if it's not connected to another device, it's always in "promiscuous" mode. That is, it will accept any incoming connection. So, you don't have to touch it. Just make the connection via your phone or MP3 player. It's also cool when you want to let a friend share their music. All you have to do is disconnect your device and they can connect theirs, again without ever touching the belkin.

If you have an Android device, you might like to use Tasker to automate phone configuration tasks. For example, right now I have Tasker configured to disable my phone lock screen when it's connected to the car BT, and re-enable it when it breaks the connection. When I get some time, I'll figure out how to also make it connect to the belkin after it connects to the car BT.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered up one of these.
Amazon.com: BrightPlay - 30 Pin Bluetooth Audio Receiver/ Adapter for Iphone's and Ipod's: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: BrightPlay - 30 Pin Bluetooth Audio Receiver/ Adapter for Iphone's and Ipod's: MP3 Players & Accessories
At $24 I think its worth a shot especially since the Iphone cable in my 2011 XF is obsolete post-purchase of an iPhone5. Yes I know I can buy an adapter for the cable...which ironically costs about the same as this device)!
I will post and update once I try this out.

The following users liked this post:
RobB (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What am I missing?!

Originally Posted by Escolar
Works great. The beauty of this device is if it's not connected to another device, it's always in "promiscuous" mode. That is, it will accept any incoming connection. So, you don't have to touch it. Just make the connection via your phone or MP3 player. It's also cool when you want to let a friend share their music. All you have to do is disconnect your device and they can connect theirs, again without ever touching the belkin.

If you have an Android device, you might like to use Tasker to automate phone configuration tasks. For example, right now I have Tasker configured to disable my phone lock screen when it's connected to the car BT, and re-enable it when it breaks the connection. When I get some time, I'll figure out how to also make it connect to the belkin after it connects to the car BT.
From what I'd read, this connects with your phone, but still needs to be plugged into the Aux socket to communicate with the stereo. I don't think that my 2010 XKR has the 3.5mm socket..
Can you help me out about how the Belkin definitely communicates with the Jag?
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What am I missing?!

Originally Posted by Escolar

From what I'd read, this connects with your phone, but still needs to be plugged into the Aux socket to communicate with the stereo. I don't think that my 2010 XKR (not XF, sorry!) has the 3.5mm socket..
Can you help me out about how the Belkin definitely communicates with the Jag?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF Audio Bluetooth A2DP