XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF display screen flickering / flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bklyn1971
I had the same issue with mine last month. Went out and bought a Bluetooth module after reading this post and still didn't fix the issue. I finally broke down and took it to a Jaguar dealer. Wound up being the 30amp radio fuse in the trunk. They said all the modules checked out fine. I even had them put the original BT module back in the car. If anyone is looking to buy one of these let me know. I have an extra one.
Do you still have that module?

Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is audio portal module

Originally Posted by Rique
I am a bit confused as far as modules. Under driver seat there is one black box bluetooth phone module and below metal siri satelite module. Where is the portable audio module? Am I missing a module? Also, I wonder if the orange fiber optic cables could be damaged by water?
just like this person I’m lost. Under the seat there is only the Bluetooth module and Siri sat module. Both have been replaced but my problem hasn’t been fixed. I don’t know where to find the portable audio module and the workshop manuals it’s under the drivers seat but also list it as optional. Please help someone. Until the meantime I’m going to buy these bypass loops only 10bucks on amazon and bypass everything. Hopefully it works

Old 11-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Default Bluetooth module

Originally Posted by Bklyn1971
I had the same issue with mine last month. Went out and bought a Bluetooth module after reading this post and still didn't fix the issue. I finally broke down and took it to a Jaguar dealer. Wound up being the 30amp radio fuse in the trunk. They said all the modules checked out fine. I even had them put the original BT module back in the car. If anyone is looking to buy one of these let me know. I have an extra one.
what is the part number of the bluetooth you have, i might be interested to but it, if if fits my 2011 XF

Old 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Krck2014
what is the part number of the bluetooth you have, i might be interested to but it, if if fits my 2011 XF
what was the fuse number

Old 11-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,368 Posts

For those of you who want to isolate the problem, get an optical bypass loop which will remove the module from the circuit. Someone asked what would happen if they removed the bluetooth module? You will lose the in car phone functionality.

Get this:
Amazon Amazon

unplug the optics from the module you want to bypass then connect this to the optic cable you unplugged. The rest of the modules will function. If for example, you do this to the BT module. It should disappear from you touch screen. Everything else should be there. You can do the same with the satellite module etc. No need to unplug the power from these modules but no harm if you do that as well.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 modules under the seat

Originally Posted by Rique
I am a bit confused as far as modules. Under driver seat there is one black box bluetooth phone module and below metal siri satelite module. Where is the portable audio module? Am I missing a module? Also, I wonder if the orange fiber optic cables could be damaged by water?

so I found the audio portable module which was under the ac hose/tube. We pictures below.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguar XF Yorkshire (11-29-2023)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Wow - those modules and that entire under seat area look in very rough shape. Lots of rust, corrosion on connections etc. and the modules look like they are currently wet
Have you tracked down the source of the issue?

I have a 2010 driven year round incl snow, salty roads etc. I had to replace the tpms module recently and when I accessed it, the whole area is clean and dry. Looks like you have had a serious leak for an extended period

Old 09-12-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
For those of you who want to isolate the problem, get an optical bypass loop which will remove the module from the circuit. Someone asked what would happen if they removed the bluetooth module? You will lose the in car phone functionality.

Get this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BFVP8B...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

unplug the optics from the module you want to bypass then connect this to the optic cable you unplugged. The rest of the modules will function. If for example, you do this to the BT module. It should disappear from you touch screen. Everything else should be there. You can do the same with the satellite module etc. No need to unplug the power from these modules but no harm if you do that as well.
The Amazon link you posted goes to a product that has two bypass loops, one male and one female. If I need to bypass my Bluetooth and Sat radio modules do I need two sets of these?

Old 09-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bypass all module

For those who want to just bypass all module check this link

I did it and everything that I use still work like aux, radio etc I dont know if bluetooth still work but I wasn’t using it anyway

Old 09-28-2021, 01:33 PM

Hello there, I'm running into another touchscreen flickering/flashing issue that seems to be unrelated to the Bluetooth module. On my 2009 XF, the image on the touchscreen seems to lose sync intermittently. It does not reboot or go to the initial logo - the screen image just gets jumbled for a while, then clears up (see image). Just to be sure, I removed the driver seat and looked in the floor, and everything looked immaculate under the carpet; no signs of moisture at all. The touchscreen controls seem to be active, even when the screen image is jumbled, so for example, the steering wheel heat and seat heating controls are active. I don't know where the touchscreen module gets its video signal from, so I am not confident that the problem resides within the touchscreen unit itself. The problem is completely random and intermittent, except it *seems* to be slightly more prevalent during warm weather. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this?

Completely random and intermittent flickering on touchscreen

Old 09-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW……I had similar issue a couple of months ago when after I inserted a(n MP3) thumb drive into the USB port in centre storage.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:17 PM
Default 2007 Jaguar XK

Is the Bluetooth module on my 2007 jag XK under the seat also. I did not want to take the time to move seat if the blue tooth is not under the seat in my model car.

Originally Posted by jaguarxfv8
So I called the dealer to buy the bluetooth module directly from them … 600$ -_- and I ask him why is it that the system alway burnt and the answer they gave me is : there is alway water leaking under there so you have to put 5 washer as spacer before you bolt it into place…. I was like wow what a miracle solution… -_- and I decided to do it my way …

so here's how I proceeded.

All you need, styrofoam, a lunch pot and something to cut the two

cut it the best you can

and place it where it belong plug it and it work

Old 11-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Serv75
Is the Bluetooth module on my 2007 jag XK under the seat also. I did not want to take the time to move seat if the blue tooth is not under the seat in my model car.
I see you posted in the XK thread section as well but no, your BT module is in the boot next to the battery, not under the seat of the XK

Old 11-01-2021, 08:49 PM

I checked with a by pass and still would not work. Do you know how to do a reset on the XK, so I can put my 4 digit code in? I took the black side of the battery cable off for 20 minutes and then put back on then started the car and same flashing then black screen.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:31 PM
Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

Again reviving this thread; on my way home last night the display screen went completely black for abut 20 seconds, then went through the re-start cycle (jaguar logo then normal screen display), half a minute later it went completely black again, this was as I was pulling into my driveway, Being the end of a 90-minute commute after a 13-hour shift, I just left it and came inside. Haven't checked if it is still out of action yet.
This happened very briefly a few months ago and has not happened again since then until now.
I have just ordered the male & female optical bypass plugs from amazon so that I can be armed if I need to start isolating the modules, however they won't be in my hands for a couple of weeks it seems.
I just wanted to check that I am on the right track with this problem- the screen did not 'flicker', just completely turned off for half a minute, then turned back on.
Also, being a right-hand drive vehicle (Australia), are the modules mentioned in this thread still located under the left-hand seat as in the LHD cars?

Old 03-15-2022, 03:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by POD XF
the display screen went completely black for abut 20 seconds, then went through the re-start cycle (jaguar logo then normal screen display), half a minute later it went completely black again
Mine was doing the same thing in the past year during the hottest days of the season. It's been fine for months since so I think it's heat related. It's getting hot here again so I also have a fiber loop on the way but unless it is the stupid TV module or navigation, it is probably the amplifier. Or the screen, mine has also acquired a brownish patina emanating from the middle. Until something melts completely, it just means no jams on the Hi-Fi for for the drive home a few weeks of the year.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 PM

Not hot here at present, coming into autumn after a very mild summer. This problem is so intermittent that it is going to be almost impossible to troubleshoot by the trial & error method. I'll leave it until it becomes more frequent or continuous. I have no reason to suspect there has been water ingress to the floor where the bluetooth module is- I had the carpet lifted back from the l/h footwell when I pulled the dash out and it was dry there.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:18 AM

It did not take long for this to go from an occasional warning flicker, to a major failure. It became continuous last week such that the screen never progresses past the jaguar logo flicking on and off, thus none of the controls on the screen can be used. Wife not happy with no heated seats. me not happy with a disco strobe happening on the dash.
I had ordered the pair of fibre-optic bypasses from amazon and they arrived just a few days before the screen died properly. Good timing, pity though that one of the connectors in the package has been destroyed during shipping and is un-useable.

I unbolted the left front seat and tilted it back, pulled back the carpet and I was shocked at the amount of water under there. Like a swimming pool. The bluetooth module was full of water and the wiring connector corroded so one of the wires broke away as I handled it. The other module- the metal one, I think it's for the 'portable audio' is also soaked and the connector all corroded. Time to shop for yet another bunch of jaguar parts.

I have plugged the surviving fibre-optic bypass into the main harness connector to bypass both modules, the screen appears to behave properly now albeit with no bluetooth availability.

The amount of water in that floor pan surprised me. Where the hell is it coming from? It seems such a common problem, is it possible that it is condensation from the floor heater duct?

Old 04-08-2022, 01:19 AM

Thought I would post a few photos of my findings on this repair so that others might have an idea what to expect and what you might need to repair the problem.
The bluetooth module had been functioning just fine but the wiring harness was so badly corroded that one wire came away as I handled it. This means that I have to source not just the module but a connector with some wire tails attached so I can solder it into the loom. Not visible from the photo angle but the internals of the connector are corroded beyond hope.

The connector to the audio remote module was also corroded badly, this cable that goes from the module to the ipod connection in the centre console is stuffed. As I have never used this and am unlikely ever to miss it, I'm not going to bother trying to find a replacement.

The package from Amazon contained two fibre-optic bypass loops, one with a male connector and one female. The female is what is required to bypass just one module at a time; mine came in the bag looking like this:

which means I can only bypass both modules by using the male loop at the main harness connector here:

which is all well and good until my replacement bluetooth module arrives and I need to just bypass the audio module. I'll figure something out.

Today I decided to pull the carpet back a bit further to see how far the water went. The rear footwell on the left-hand side had over a pint of water in it. Not really visible in the photo as the water is clean, but those two depressions in the rear floor pan are full to the brim.

I sponged the bulk of it out and have had a blow-heater in there for 3 hours now drying it out. The water also fills the interior of that raised cross-member so I'll have the heater on it for a good while to ensure it is dry under there. I had to remove both front seats (so if you're going to tackle this, make sure you can access the seat bolts before disconnecting the battery; I got lucky- just.) as well as the back seat cushion, the scuff plates in the door openings and the B-pillar lower trims, to get the back carpet out. The rear carpet incorporates sections of foam padding that fill the depressions in the floor pan- of course this padding is soaked. I laid the carpet, foam down, on a drain grate and trod it in my socks to squeeze the bulk of the water out, it's now out in the sun and wind to dry out.

I've ordered a bluetooth module from an ebay seller who had a picture of one with the wiring connector attached. I'll be in a bad place if it turns up without the connector. If anyone has a clue how to source that special connector I'd be glad to hear from you. I plan to install the new module above the high-tide level by gluing it to the side of the tunnel with silicon.

I don't know how I'm going to figure out where all the water has come from.

I've owned this car now for a little over 2 years and have spent nearly as many hours fixing it as driving it. If the same Brits who built this car had been building Spitfires 80 years ago, the Luftwaffe would never have had to fire a shot, they would have just stood by and watched the things fall apart of their own accord.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

One suggestion? The XF is basically a modified S-Type. That car was very well known for the moon roof drains getting clogged causing water to back up and soak the interior. Usually you find wet carpets like you did. If it was from the moon roof drains then you should get wet "A" pillars right after a rain but that's not 100% guaranteed to happen.

You should be able to troubleshoot this by spraying water on the moon roof with the car all closed up and someone sitting in the front seats. Checking the "A" pillar cover to see if it is wet. Also you might check the front door cards for evidence of water too. It's not uncommon to fill the door storage pockets with water. The rear drains don't seem to cause as much damage but they go down inside the "C" pillars and then drain under the car. So when spraying water you should get all 4 drains draining water but it will be hard to tell because of all the water you have sprayed around.

POD XF (04-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF display screen flickering / flashing