XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF does not see the smart key it seems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF does not see the smart key it seems

Hello all.
today morning I was able to open and close my Jaguar XF 2013 two times. When I came third time, the car didn’t react to my presses of the smart key. Neither door nor boot was able to open. I opened the door using metal key and this activated an alarm. The engine didn’t want to start. I was not able to shut the alarm down until I disconnected the main battery. After reconnecting the battery the alarm started again but one press on the smart key was successful and it switched off the alarm. I got into the car with assumption that now I will be able to start it as normal. But it didn’t want to start. I changed the battery in the smart key to a new one. No luck. The car seems to not recognise the smart key at all. I could not even open the glove box (or whatever is the right name for it). I disconnected the main battery again for about 10 minutes and reconnected it back. The car does not react on pressing start/stop. I had to leave my car where it stuck and now going home to take the second smart key and go back to try with it. The round trip will take almost 24 hours, today Jaguar services are not working anyway. Any ideas that could help me tomorrow?
thanks a lot in advance

Old 12-26-2023, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Many posts on here about that. So start searching for your symptoms as there are several different problems that can be the cause.
You first need to connect the car to the Jaguar dealer tool called SDD. Then report back here with the error codes your car has.

Thanks for the car details as many leave those off. As always suspect the battery as a first step. How old is it?

Old 12-26-2023, 10:37 AM

Main battery is 6 years old but I stated to use it only a week ago. It changed the original battery which was 11 years old.
The lamps in the car were on and the alarm was working so I would expect that there should be at least some reaction to the start/stop button press

Old 12-26-2023, 10:40 AM
Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Do you get a "Key not found" error?

Old 12-26-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Do you get a "Key not found" error?
The main screen remains black. I could not activate any reaction to any of my action inside or outside of the car

Old 12-26-2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ignat
The main screen remains black. I could not activate any reaction to any of my action inside or outside of the car
This is a sign of a dead battery or the battery cables are loose. How's the battery voltage?

Old 12-26-2023, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure but with a battery that old I would as a first step replace it. Might not fix anything but 6 years is a somewhat elderly battery.

Old 12-26-2023, 11:14 AM

I see. I wasn’t actually using it during these 6 years. Was only charging it every 6 month’s approximately. Initially I purchased it after incorrectly interpreting “smart key low battery” error on the screen about 6 years ago

Old 12-26-2023, 11:15 AM

Start/stop button does not illuminate btw

Old 12-26-2023, 04:50 PM

Anyone could recommend a particular battery for Jaguar XF 2013 petrol 2.0?

Old 12-26-2023, 06:18 PM

If you are in the UK or EU, go with AGM Bosch batteries.
In the USA, every auto parts store have their own in house brand with 3 - 4 year warranty. I have H7 AGM by Interstate for my X260.
I would suggest have the battery tested first because there are defective new batteries. Also the battery should be fully charged before you leave the store

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 12-26-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:20 AM

Yes, the problem seems to be in the battery. I charged the original one (almost 11 years old) and connected it, and the car started to see the key and everything else. However upon start attempt it shows well known “cannot apply park brake” error and produces beeping sound. I could not get rid of this error by disconnecting the battery, waiting for several minutes and connecting it back. Maybe the battery is still the problem. I bought new battery in the closest store and going to try with it as soon as I get back to the car. Right now the car is not connected to any battery. Comments, suggestions or advices are welcome

Old 12-28-2023, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Did you try to calibrate the EPB?
Might help but not sure?

But do wait until you install the new battery. It is amazing what a battery change can do sometimes!

Old 12-29-2023, 12:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Many posts on here about that. So start searching for your symptoms as there are several different problems that can be the cause.
You first need to connect the car to the Jaguar dealer tool called SDD. Then report back here with the error codes your car has.

Thanks for the car details as many leave those off. As always suspect the battery as a first step. How old is it?
no, you do not "first need to connect to the car dealer tool called SDD"
There are a lot of OBDII readers that will do the job for thousands of dollars less than that tool :shrug: , and thus you do not need to go to a Jaguar dealer to read the codes either.
But , yes , it is a good idea to read the codes.

Last edited by coolabah; 12-29-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:56 AM

OK. So on Wednesday evening I installed the newly purchased battery. The red error "cannot apply park brake" (together with annoying sound) didn't vanish. And I could not start the car because of this error. I tried to disconnect and connect the battery several times without any luck. It was 9 PM and subzero, I was almost going to give up, but then I added car locking/unlocking to the reset procedure:
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Wait two minutes
3. Connect the battery
4. Lock the car with smart key
5. Unlock the car
6. Get in and start the engine
It started and next 250km I didn't switch it off even when refueling.
Next morning (Thursday) when trying to start the engine it showed me "park brake fault" warning in yellow and didn't want to start (tried several times). Fortunately no beeping sound, but also "Gearbox fault" and some other yellow messages also popped up. I got out, locked the car, unlocked it, and then it started. Same happened 3 times that day and every time lock/unlock helped. Because the car was crucial for me in the first week of new year, yesterday I made an appointment to the dealer service. However, today morning when I started the car to go to service - no message appeared and the car started fine. It also started fine when I was going to demonstrate the issue to the dealer.
At the dealer, they performed some diagnostics, made 15km roundtrip, and could not find anything bad. In the error history they only found something about low tension between something and control unit (there might be a bit of translation issue, because they use Italian in their daily work and they translated the errors to English using google). Finally they have cleared all the errors, charged me 180 EUR and wished me a happy new year.

Now I would like to buy the error reader (or whatever is the right name for it). Could you suggest which one to buy?

Old 12-29-2023, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Depends totally on the scanner?
We have example after example where people using after market scanners claim to have no codes. But when connected to SDD they do. The factory system is simply the best we have for Jaguars. It's a shame it's so hard to use.

Glad the car is fixed but it's still a mystery exactly what was wrong? Seems the battery change out did work it's magic.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:25 AM

This code reader has been popping up on some discussions here. There are different brands you can buy and the setup are all the same. ELM327 (OBD2 scanner) + Torque Pro (app IPhone or Android) is what you need. Download Torque Pro for $5.00 without the Ads. You can download Torque Lite for FREE with Ads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11588981909...BoCQH4QAvD_BwE

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 12-29-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Yes everyone should have Torque Pro. It's so cheap and flexible! I really like it and I hope you have the Jaguar custom PID's as well? Someone did a great job on those and it's super easy to import the .CSV file to. This saves a LOT of typing and potential errors. It's for Android which I prefer.

Take a look at what they have done in the attached PDF. Note that on the 5.0L there is no oil pressure sensor and you can't read oil pressure! That is crazy for sure!
So the custom PID's substitute what we do have. Oil level, oil temperature and oil volume. You can install Metric or Imperial PID's so you can change the units from what's shown in the PDF.

Related is the OBDII adapter and I use the OBDLink MX+. It is a bit expensive and I have many others much cheaper but after reading all the problems the F-Type guys have with OBDII dongles keeping the car alive and battery drains because of leaving the dongles plugged in all the time I got this one. It has automatic sleep and wake modes. I am VERY paranoid about engine temperature because of what Jaguar installed for a so called temperature gauge. It's more accurately called a temperature indicator. With the Torque Pro you can read in real time the exact coolant temperature.

Attached Files

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-30-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:57 PM

Today the car didn’t start again. “Cannot apply park brake” appeared again with annoying noise. Usual process of disconnecting negative cable of the battery, locking, unlocking - didn’t help. I had to disconnect both contacts of the battery to start the engine. I think the error pattern is that if I apply the park brake in the evening, the next day I can’t start the engine.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
This code reader has been popping up on some discussions here. There are different brands you can buy and the setup are all the same. ELM327 (OBD2 scanner) + Torque Pro (app IPhone or Android) is what you need. Download Torque Pro for $5.00 without the Ads. You can download Torque Lite for FREE with Ads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11588981909...BoCQH4QAvD_BwE
Thank you. I cannot find iOS app with exactly that name. Is it one of these?

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF does not see the smart key it seems