XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Eco Start/Stop System is not working , Help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF Eco Start/Stop System is not working , Help please

Hello Guys,

if anyone can help me with the right advice.

i bought Jaguar XF 2 months ago and due to my previous car wasnt sold so i didnt drive my jaguar for 2 months.

since i have start using it & start/stop Eco system is not working,

can some one advice please how to get it solved ?

some one adviced maybe battery is low due to not been driven for last 2 months so just drive for few weeks it will start work automatically is that true ? or do i have to take it to jaguar workshop to get this issue checked ?
car is not in warranty i wonder if they gonna charge me alot over this issue but i dont know when last time i checked it was working fine

some one help please.

Thank you,

Old 09-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

What year? Ours has been going back in for the same very thing. The last time it was in they said there was a TSB for an O2 sensor programming that they now claim fixed it. Well it has at least worked for 2 weeks so maybe they were right.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 AM

Hello,

I've got Jaguar XF is 2011.

any suggestions what i should do to get Eco system back in work ?
just happend when i didn't drive for 2 months.

Thank you.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I don't think there is stop start in the 2011 model year...

Old 09-08-2017, 03:17 AM

Well.
There is Stop/Start option in this car & i did use it for a while but after 2 months not been driven its not working.

still waiting for expert advices.

Thank you.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

2013 was the first year for stop/start in the US. Can't say for sure elsewhere but I would think it would be the same. Do you have one or two batteries in the trunk?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless123
Well.
There is Stop/Start option in this car & i did use it for a while but after 2 months not been driven its not working.

still waiting for expert advices.

Thank you.
This is just a guess, but I'm thinking your stop/start battery became inoperable after sitting so long. It would be around 4 years old at that point and an extended time without charge could definitely cause the cells to fail.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless123
Hello Guys,

if anyone can help me with the right advice.

i bought Jaguar XF 2 months ago and due to my previous car wasnt sold so i didnt drive my jaguar for 2 months.

since i have start using it & start/stop Eco system is not working,

can some one advice please how to get it solved ?

some one adviced maybe battery is low due to not been driven for last 2 months so just drive for few weeks it will start work automatically is that true ? or do i have to take it to jaguar workshop to get this issue checked ?
car is not in warranty i wonder if they gonna charge me alot over this issue but i dont know when last time i checked it was working fine

some one help please.

Thank you,

Fully charge the battery(s) and the eco Stop/start should start working.
This stop start feature will stop working if the battery is a little low.

This is the usual cause for it to stop working.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Am I the only one that would care less about ECO start/stop if it quits working?? In fact I might be happy lol

The following users liked this post:
donogood (11-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
Am I the only one that would care less about ECO start/stop if it quits working?? In fact I might be happy lol
I'm with you, IMHO it's useless and pointless, it only saves gas in the lab (for such things as CAFE) and not in the real world.
My current F-Type is the first car I have ever owned with stop/start and I hated it from day 1, the damn engine kept cutting off as I was trying to creep into a parking spot not knowing (yet) where my front splitter was in relation to the concrete stopper. So on day 2 of ownership I permanently disabled the stop/start by disconnecting the earth lead on the secondary battery, problem solvered!

JD53 (10-06-2021)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
So on day 2 of ownership I permanently disabled the stop/start by disconnecting the earth lead on the secondary battery, problem solvered!
Can't you just remove it completely?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Can't you just remove it completely?
If you mean the secondary battery then yes, I believe you can without any problem side effects.
But it's a fair bit of mucking about and disconnecting the earth lead is 30 seconds work for the same result.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If you mean the secondary battery then yes, I believe you can without any problem side effects.
But it's a fair bit of mucking about and disconnecting the earth lead is 30 seconds work for the same result.
But just think of the weight savings...you'd probably pick up a hundredth in the quarter .

Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

I think the weight saving is around 10 lb so 1/100 would be close!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM

I've just been to the local Jag dealer about my stop/start not working as it should. Apparently it is not as simple as charging the battery in some cases. When the battery is low and the stop/start system checks the battery condition and decides it is too low on numerous occasions, it stops trying and has to be reset at the garage (with a sufficiently charged battery) to start working again.

I've had my 2014 XF for a few weeks and it is an Approved Used car so I thought it would be covered under warranty. My antenna twitched when I was told by the dealer that I would not be charged if it was a mechanical problem but if it did not work due to the battery then I would incur a charge. I was told the charge would be about 1 hours service time which was £140 plus vat!! I gave it a miss. Like the general consensus, I was not bothered about using the stop/start but as it was on the car I would have liked it to be functioning.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I’d ask to talk to the manager of your dealer location. It seems amazing they would sell you an approved used car with stop/start not working and then not fix it for free. It’s a minor and low cost issue for them and if it’s just a few weeks since you bought it then it seems clear they should have caught the issue

Old 10-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The eco start/stop on my 2015 XF 3.0 SC stopped working a few weeks ago. I put very little mileage on the car.

I plugged in my Battery Tender and let it sit overnight until my tender reported that battery full charged. The Eco Start/Stop feature began to work. A few weeks later the same issue arose so I did the same thing by plugging in my Battery Tender and once again the Start/Stop began to work. I now simply plug in the Battery Tender for an overnight charge every 2 or 3 weeks and no longer have problems with Start/Start not working. BTW- these symptoms only appeared when car hit 15,000 miles. Never needed to plug in to Battery Tender before then and Start/Start always worked. I prefer this method than having dealer start messing around. Also, no error messages, codes, etc.. when Start/Stop not working and car always started and ran fine.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Eco Start/Stop

Hi,

Please see my above posting.

My 2015 XF SC 3.0 now has 17,000 miles on it and I bought it new.

For the first 15000 miles the Eco Start/
stop worked fine . After 15,000 miles it stopped working unless I plug the car into my Battery Tender for an overnight top off. I get no error messages or any electric glitches and Start/Stop will again work after a night on my battery tender. I have the large battery as well as the smaller one in the trunk.

I think the the Start/Stop battery is no longer holding a charge for more than a couple of weeks, especially, since I drive the car so little.

My question is if this will affect the larger primary battery which does everything fine even when Start/Stop feature is not working?

I am not in love with the Start/Stop feature and don't really care if it works or not. My only concern is if this is harmful to the other systems and performance of the car. Should I leave it as is since my limited driving will probably act up the same way, or should I bring it to dealer who I would imagine would replace the smaller Start/Stop battery or just continue to plug the car into Battery Tender every couple of weeks. Thank you.

Ed

Old 10-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spanky145
Hi,

Please see my above posting.

My 2015 XF SC 3.0 now has 17,000 miles on it and I bought it new.

For the first 15000 miles the Eco Start/
stop worked fine . After 15,000 miles it stopped working unless I plug the car into my Battery Tender for an overnight top off. I get no error messages or any electric glitches and Start/Stop will again work after a night on my battery tender. I have the large battery as well as the smaller one in the trunk.

I think the the Start/Stop battery is no longer holding a charge for more than a couple of weeks, especially, since I drive the car so little.

My question is if this will affect the larger primary battery which does everything fine even when Start/Stop feature is not working?

I am not in love with the Start/Stop feature and don't really care if it works or not. My only concern is if this is harmful to the other systems and performance of the car. Should I leave it as is since my limited driving will probably act up the same way, or should I bring it to dealer who I would imagine would replace the smaller Start/Stop battery or just continue to plug the car into Battery Tender every couple of weeks. Thank you.

Ed
I recommend you do as I did and permanently disable the stop/start by simply removing the earth connection from the secondary battery. By that I don't mean remove the earth lead entirely, just unbolt the end which is connected to a bolt on the bottom of the boot and cable tie that end up out the way so it cannot touch any metal part. I did this over a year ago on my F-Type and I haven't had a single problem, and it has not effected the main battery at all. Two minutes work and zero cost, what's not to like!

spanky145 (10-27-2017)
Old 06-14-2021, 04:00 PM
Default mr

Originally Posted by BlckCat
2013 was the first year for stop/start in the US. Can't say for sure elsewhere but I would think it would be the same. Do you have one or two batteries in the trunk?
in my xf 2014 have two baterries i will chang both butt stop start still no working