XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Eco Start/Stop System is not working , Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless123
Hello Guys,

if anyone can help me with the right advice.

i bought Jaguar XF 2 months ago and due to my previous car wasnt sold so i didnt drive my jaguar for 2 months.

since i have start using it & start/stop Eco system is not working,

can some one advice please how to get it solved ?

some one adviced maybe battery is low due to not been driven for last 2 months so just drive for few weeks it will start work automatically is that true ? or do i have to take it to jaguar workshop to get this issue checked ?
car is not in warranty i wonder if they gonna charge me alot over this issue but i dont know when last time i checked it was working fine

some one help please.

Thank you,
Hi, I've had a similar problem with mine, but in my case the battery was on its way out. Once I replaced the battery all was fine. I'm suggesting that you need to replace your battery, but if you out a few miles in all should be ok (with a little luck)

Old 06-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just throw my two cents in. I have a 2014 XF and had the same issue, was working then stopped, charged up worked for awhile then stopped working, checked battery voltage on second battery (the smaller one) and it would not get up over 12.5V after charging so just found the equivalent replacement battery (They appear to be the one used for Jet skis etc and they fit). look for equivalent to EXIDE EK151. Swapped it over and it works no problems at all since.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery problem? 2013 XF Portfolio

Hi Everyone,

I'd be really grateful for any advice. I bought my XF just 2 weeks ago and am having some issues. Sitting in ths car with the drivers door open, I was playing with pairing my phone and setting the sat nav up. The ignition was on and the display came up with "Battery Low Start Engine or it will shutdown in 3 mins". (Or words to that effect).
Today, after a drive around town, the start stop worked for a while, then seemed to give up. To make matters worse, when I got home I had a red message that the parking break couldn't be applied. I'm guessing, having read other threads on Parking brake issues, it's battery related.
I'm wondering if "the battery" has had it? Trouble is which battery....Starter or Auxilliary.....or both? They both appear to be the original Jaguar ones fitted from new. I'm not sure what the smaller battery is for or what it powers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try looking at the voltage readings on each battery with a multimeter. Anything under 12.5v needs to be charged even though this is probably 80% of full. I have personally found between 11v and 12v doesn’t always charge up and hold charge. 13v is considered 100% on a good battery. My understanding is that the smaller battery is really just to keep power during auto stop/start driving.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Most likely the battery if it's really the original. It's an easy swap out. Get a high quality AGM. Think it's H8 (or maybe H7 - I forget now). It's the big battery that matters. The small one just does start stop and to be honest a lot of people are happy when that stops working. You can replace it too - avoid dealers for that one as it's amazingly expensive via them...

Make sure battery is fully charged either before or after install. They don't come fully charged and you may continue to get gremlins if it's running low charge

Old 06-23-2021, 02:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BritCars
Most likely the battery if it's really the original. It's an easy swap out. Get a high quality AGM. Think it's H8 (or maybe H7 - I forget now). It's the big battery that matters. The small one just does start stop and to be honest a lot of people are happy when that stops working. You can replace it too - avoid dealers for that one as it's amazingly expensive via them...

Make sure battery is fully charged either before or after install. They don't come fully charged and you may continue to get gremlins if it's running low charge
My thanks to RicL and BritCars. I've managed to source an Exide EK151 from Tayna.co.uk for just £49.36 with next day delivery, so will give that a go first. As I don't have a code reader/programmer, I think I might need to go to Halfords for the main battery. I'm in the middle of moving house....so all my tools are packed and in transit. Nightmare!

cheers