Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

You can contact our vendors

NALLEY

JPAM (Gaudin )

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Shame on your dealer. i-Pod cable part number is C2Z9048 and has changed to C2P21008. Sorry, don't have a price right now.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
aau (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 AM
aau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wtf?

Shouldn't the cable come with a brand new car?? Given that it is proprietery technology. I was told u can't just get a cable from Best Buy and make it work. It has to be one from Jaguar. Is this correct?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by aau
Shouldn't the cable come with a brand new car?? Given that it is proprietery technology. I was told u can't just get a cable from Best Buy and make it work. It has to be one from Jaguar. Is this correct?
Actually it used to, but Apple keeps playing with the charge circuits and made it hard to have a cable that worked all the time. There are many more terminals in the connector on the iPod than the USB port, if Apple moves the charge or power terminal, the car's cable then won't do something right. So now Jag leaves it to them to make the cable and just supplies the USB port!

Hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Lots of UK reports about cabling incompatibility. Not sure how it can happen because older Apple charging/USB cables fit the latest iPhone and charge it just fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
aau

So this means I can buy the cable from Apple? If so, could you tell me which one I need for an iPhone 4? Appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Actually it used to, but Apple keeps playing with the charge circuits and made it hard to have a cable that worked all the time. There are many more terminals in the connector on the iPod than the USB port, if Apple moves the charge or power terminal, the car's cable then won't do something right. So now Jag leaves it to them to make the cable and just supplies the USB port!

Hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by aau
So this means I can buy the cable from Apple? If so, could you tell me which one I need for an iPhone 4? Appreciate your help.
You're welcome.
Either your iPhone documentation, or Apple itself should be the one to say which cable is the correct one for your phone. Apple likes the proprietary nature of their stuff.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think the problem may be that Jaguar doesn't use Apple's spec for some reason. I have heard that there are two cables, one for older iPhone 3 and one for the iPhone 4. I do not have the USB port in my car so have no issues. I do not think Apple has changed anything.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
I think the problem may be that Jaguar doesn't use Apple's spec for some reason. I have heard that there are two cables, one for older iPhone 3 and one for the iPhone 4. I do not have the USB port in my car so have no issues. I do not think Apple has changed anything.
I used to think that too, until Jag put this out.

The latest generation iPhone, iPod Touch and iPod Nano do not charge
when used with the Portable Audio Interface ( integrated iPod vehicle
adapter).
Cause:
Apple has changed the power supply strategy on their latest models.
The products affected are as follows:

iPhone 3G
iPhone 3G S
iPod Touch 2nd Generation
iPod Nano 4th Generation

Action:
Should a customer state that their Apple products (listed above)
do not charge from the vehicle power
supply, direct the customer to purchase a Scosche passPORT
Car Charging Adapter. This can be obtained from various
retailers or the Apple store.

NOTE - This change has been instigated by Apple on their products and
payment for the adapter is the customer's responsibility.

It has since applied to even later devices as well, apparently. That's why Jag gave up supplying the cable.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, after reading that on another board I decided to test this "theory". I used a very old iPod Nano USB charging cable and it charges my iPhone 4 just fine. This tells me that Jag is the one with the problem in their USB port. Apple does not sell an iPhone 4 specific charging cable. It is the interface between the USB port and the Apple connector that is the problem and that is Jaguar's responsibility. Jaguar now specs two different cables as I understand things.

I just checked the Apple web site and sure enough they sell one type of USB to Apple connector cable as well as a universal dock with USB to Apple connector. The iPhone 4 specific dock just has a thinner socket to snugly fit the iPhone 4 chassis. The charging pins are the same. The universal dock just has plastic inserts to fit the various Apple products that use the apple connector, the connector itself is a universal Apple fit and the USB port is the same for all products. Aftermarket chargers all use the one type of Apple to USB cable. Jaguar is to blame for this one.

Last edited by jagular; 04-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but USB ports are a standard. They have only 4 conductors, +5v, Ground, Data + and Data -. If a cable will charge one Apple device and not another, logic dictates they must have changed SOMETHING on the device end. See the attached image.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XF ipod cable-usb-pinouts.jpg  
Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the voltage that has changed.

Devices that would charge the older-style iPod/iPhone (pre 3G iphone) basically used a Firewire 1394-style pinout (12 volt). Apple abandoned Firewire starting with the iPhone 3G and went to a standard USB style charging setup (5 volt). It's lower voltage than Firewire, so it doesn't charge as quickly, but Firewire was never a popular format to begin with.

So newer devices that use the 5 volt charge input cannot accept the 12 volt charge input that older speaker docks and in-car entertainment systems attempt to provide. They can still pull the data since those pins are the same, but the voltage is too high for the iPod to accept. As a safety feature, it "rejects" the 12 volt charge instead of accepting it and burning up the electronics/battery.

Similarly, the USB cable that jagular used is compatible with either since it's input is 5 volt by default. A device that operates at 12 volts can accept a 5 volt charge - it'll just be slower to charge.

I'm no Apple Genius or engineer, but when manufacturers struggle to adapt to proprietary technologies from VERY popular companies like Apple, parts departments have to answer a lot of questions.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, the Scosche passPORT mentioned by xjrguy works beautifully to adapt the charge from an older device ('09 XF) to say, an iPhone 4, but it has some packaging issues that won't allow it to physically work with some of the beefier iPhone cases. Even better is the dockStubz Charge Converter, which fits cases like the OtterBox - notice its tapered dock connector. No affiliation, just passing info.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM
aau
Cool UPDATE on my Cable issue

So I called Jaguar CS and asked them why I need to purchase a $100 cable when I am given an iPod dock and 'Jaguar' is supposed to be a premium brand. (Not in so many words). I was put on hold for several minutes and the very helpful CS rep came back and said - 'The cable comes with the XF Premium'. I told her the dealership had said otherwise and I was immediately asked for the name of the Dealer and Sales Representative at the Dealship. She called them, while I'm on the line and in a few mins, came bac on the line and said, 'it will be taken care of'.

I got a call from the Delearship within 10mins and they were more than happy to have me come pick up my cable.

It works beautifully with my iPhone4. No issues whatsoever.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by nalleyjagparts
It's the voltage that has changed.

Devices that would charge the older-style iPod/iPhone (pre 3G iphone) basically used a Firewire 1394-style pinout (12 volt). Apple abandoned Firewire starting with the iPhone 3G and went to a standard USB style charging setup (5 volt). It's lower voltage than Firewire, so it doesn't charge as quickly, but Firewire was never a popular format to begin with.

So newer devices that use the 5 volt charge input cannot accept the 12 volt charge input that older speaker docks and in-car entertainment systems attempt to provide. They can still pull the data since those pins are the same, but the voltage is too high for the iPod to accept. As a safety feature, it "rejects" the 12 volt charge instead of accepting it and burning up the electronics/battery.

Similarly, the USB cable that jagular used is compatible with either since it's input is 5 volt by default. A device that operates at 12 volts can accept a 5 volt charge - it'll just be slower to charge.

I'm no Apple Genius or engineer, but when manufacturers struggle to adapt to proprietary technologies from VERY popular companies like Apple, parts departments have to answer a lot of questions.
Well, thank you Dan, I knew there was a change by Apple, I just wasn't clear exactly what it was. I had questioned the slower charge rate on some devices, now I understand why that happens. I'll be throwing this into the archive for sure.

I'm certainly with you on the last point as well. I've learned I have to explain to "early adopter" types that sometimes they basically "out technology" the car in some cases when they always buy the latest and greatest. They are generally more understanding once they wrap their head around that idea.

Thanks again, and appreciate your support of the forum.

Cheers,

Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cable came with my car as well. I have the 3GS and it charges and integrates just fine through the iPod port. One concern though is that when I plugged my wife's iPhone 4 in, the cable wouldn't stay in and simply falls out. We use the same cable to charge hers and mine from Apple but the Jaguar supplied cable just falls out. Anybody have a clue what's going on here and why? If we just use the USB port and not the iPod port to plug in the iPhone will that work better?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
aau

This would be obvious, but just to rule out the cause - do you have an iPhone case that might obstruct the cable? I have tried the iPod cale with both 3GS and iPhone 4. I didnt have any issues.

2nd, is there any obvious damage on your wife's iPhone around the cable plug-in area?

Originally Posted by jlindy
the cable came with my car as well. I have the 3GS and it charges and integrates just fine through the iPod port. One concern though is that when I plugged my wife's iPhone 4 in, the cable wouldn't stay in and simply falls out. We use the same cable to charge hers and mine from Apple but the Jaguar supplied cable just falls out. Anybody have a clue what's going on here and why? If we just use the USB port and not the iPod port to plug in the iPhone will that work better?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

The iPhone 4 "bumper" or case often interferes with the male Apple plug. The plug seems to go in but does not go far enough to remain connected. Usually you have to take the iPhone 4 out of its bumper or case for some connectors. The iPhone 4 dock Apple sells is one that will not accept the now necessary bumper which is a bit of a pain. Presumably Apple designed and released this before the customers discovered the antenna problem necessitating the bumper (or an odd way of holding the phone which also works).

Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no damage but she does have the bumper on the 4. However, the apple plugs work just fine. Maybe the Jaguar plug is a bit thicker and doesn't get past the bumper. I will try it with it off and check back.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF ipod cable