XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF ipod cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jlindy
no damage but she does have the bumper on the 4. However, the apple plugs work just fine. Maybe the Jaguar plug is a bit thicker and doesn't get past the bumper. I will try it with it off and check back.
The Apple connector is thinner than almost all connectors out there, including their own earlier connectors!! For reasons that escape me they chose to change the design a while back. Third party cases are usually big enough to take the thicker and/or older style connector (I replaced my bumper "case" with an Incase which works fine - they have a large enough hole in the case to take the the none Apple connectors).

Looks as if Apple is trying to force you to buy their plugs etc. Problem is that this does not help you with the supplied Jag connector. I would simply change to a more accommodating case and dump the Apple bumpers (albeit that they tend to make the 'phone slightly larger - mostly in depth).

Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nalleyjagparts
It's the voltage that has changed.

Devices that would charge the older-style iPod/iPhone (pre 3G iphone) basically used a Firewire 1394-style pinout (12 volt). Apple abandoned Firewire starting with the iPhone 3G and went to a standard USB style charging setup (5 volt). It's lower voltage than Firewire, so it doesn't charge as quickly, but Firewire was never a popular format to begin with.

So newer devices that use the 5 volt charge input cannot accept the 12 volt charge input that older speaker docks and in-car entertainment systems attempt to provide. They can still pull the data since those pins are the same, but the voltage is too high for the iPod to accept. As a safety feature, it "rejects" the 12 volt charge instead of accepting it and burning up the electronics/battery.

Similarly, the USB cable that jagular used is compatible with either since it's input is 5 volt by default. A device that operates at 12 volts can accept a 5 volt charge - it'll just be slower to charge.

I'm no Apple Genius or engineer, but when manufacturers struggle to adapt to proprietary technologies from VERY popular companies like Apple, parts departments have to answer a lot of questions.
As stated in NalleyJagParts excellent post it is the difference between the old Firewire (FW) 12.0 v feed and the newer USB 5v feed for newer devices that causes the problem. However, the reason that newer devices do not charge from older FW 12 v voltage feeds is that the 12 v and 5v feed are on different pins, so that a 5 v only device will not accidentally get a 12.0v feed that will damage the electronics (the 12.0 v pin on the connector has no connection in the newer devices). The charging convertors simply drop the 12v feed to 5v and connect it to the correct pin (which is why they sometimes get a little warm).

I believe the standard Jag connector has only 12v and connects to the so called FW 12 v power pin on the connector which will not charge devices designed for 5v.

Whether or not an Apple device that uses the 12v feed will charge from the 5v pin seems to depend on the device and year. Some do, some do not. However you are more likely to find 5v devices that will not work with connectors that are only provided with 12v.

I hope this clarifies this for you (I have designed a number of systems to connect to Apple devices in the past!!).

Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 model and it charges both my old iPods and my iphone4. I use the standard apple cable. Can't remember which device the cable is from... I have a bunch of apple products.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

This is excellent information. Jaguar is clearly responsible for keeping their equipment up to date if they want to claim compatibility with another manufacturer's device. Jaguar should supply the correct new cable free of charge unless the spec change occurs after the date you buy your new car.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
This is excellent information. Jaguar is clearly responsible for keeping their equipment up to date if they want to claim compatibility with another manufacturer's device. Jaguar should supply the correct new cable free of charge unless the spec change occurs after the date you buy your new car.
I have to respectfully disagree. They have built a car with an interface built to a worldwide standard [USB 2.0]. If a device supplier makes a change to their device, at anytime, I do not see how a vehicle manufacturer can be held accountable for compatibility after the fact.

In my mind, Jaguar stepped on their crank by trying to be accommodating and supplying a cable in the first place. They should have just said, "Here's the interface, hook your device to it."

Just my opinion, thanks for listening.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ipod cable connector provided

Thanks members. I just acquired my 2011 XF Premium and researched the reasons for no Jaguar proprietary cable being provided. After calling Jaguar USA my dealership in Bellevue WA was contacted the same day and authorized to provide the Jaguar cable connector at no expense. Dealership sells them for approx. $100 US. Thanks again for the information.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

If Jaguar advertizes compatibility then Jaguar is responsible for ensuring compatibility. I agree that Jaguar isn't responsible for changes made after they build a particular car but that isn't the case here.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation IPOD Cable Interface

Interesting, my 2011 XF Premium delivered last June came with a cable!
Go figure.