XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XF Premium

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF Premium

Guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on 10000 km driven 2012 Jaguar portfolio xf 5.0.

I have done a lot of research but have a few unanswered questions and would appreciate a few answers.

1. Why jag with 4100 pound weight and 385 pound hp does 0-60 in 5.5 as per official figures whereas merc/bmw do it with more weight in 5.1 (again official figures)

2. How is jag in real world driving as compared to 335i and s4.

3. What performance mods are available for jag without voiding warranty.

4. has navigation been updated in 2012 jag as a lot of reviewers say that infotainment is awful.

5. is it possible to install back seat lcd's in jag and a dvd player.

Would appreciate any help

Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

4. The navigation in the 2012 XF has an updated file dated January 2013. It's is expensive. If you are buying from a dealer, I would have the update included as part of the deal.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

this is really the premium jaguar forum. Only one reply and that too did not answer any of my questions

Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

5. is it possible to install back seat lcd's in jag and a dvd player.

Here is a video showing LCD screens and a dvd player installed in XF

Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Syed Muhmmad Hussain Shah
this is really the premium jaguar forum. Only one reply and that too did not answer any of my questions
Your questions are too vague. Go to the dealer and test drive the vehicles and form your own opinion on how fast they are or how they compare to other vehicles you are looking at. Look up reviews online.

1. 0-60 numbers are all over the place and depend on the reviewer. The NA 5.0L isn't necessarily built for all out speed.

3. If you are looking for performance get the Supercharged or XFR. There aren't many performance mods available for the NA 5.0L. You can get an exhaust, a tune, and some K&N panel filters. It's up to the dealer if they void your warranty. I'd say the exhaust and filters will be fine but the tune would void the warranty. Search this forum on XF mods for more info.

4. The response is a bit slow in all systems. The 2012 infotainment system is a good improvement over the 09-11 system. Bluetooth streaming works well. You can stream videos via the USB port when you are stationary (video cuts out when you start moving for safety reasons). You should be happy with it.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 02-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

2. This is not the right comparison. The XF compares to the 5 series, A6, and E class. Like everyone said, this is really an opinion thing and everyone will give you a different answer.

Also, what's with the sarcasm? If you want people to ignore you, that is a good way to make it happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM

Sorry if it sounded rude but I got sarcastic to solicit some response and my way worked

I cannot afford the Supercharged version.

I know that bmw 335 is a class below but both have the same legspace and both cost the same amount of money. I am 32 year old with two kids and both shall do fine with me, that's why i was asking which was the quicker in real world because that's what matters to me. Four seats and four doors for the wife and horsepower for me

Jaguar 5.0 is 385 horsepower and weighs 4067 pounds whereas 335i is 3591 with 300 horsepower that is weight to power ratio of 10.56 to 11.97. Hence the jag should easily be quicker of the two but official specifications of 0-60 of jag is 5.5 whereas for bmw is 5.1. This doesn't make sense. Is Jag under reporting the numbers

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Sorry if it sounded rude but I got sarcastic to solicit some response and my way worked
Ouch. Maybe it's best that you go buy the BMW or Merc then.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

The 335i is turbocharged and usually that means there is a pretty good torque curve that kicks in at the lower RPMs. So while it may not have more hp it will have more torque through the rpm range and pull in a faster 0-60. BMW could also be underrating the motor.

Keep in mind 0-60 numbers are going to vary quite a bit depending on test conditions. You are the one buying it. Go test drive both and if the power matters to you stomp on the gas pedal and pick the one that you think is the quickest. Since they are relatively close the power shouldn't matter. Pick the one you like the most. If it were me I'd get a slightly used XF Supercharged with low miles under warranty still. Save some cash, get more power, and get way more options standard.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

The NA XF is not a street light monster. It will roast the tires but it will not be the same as other performace cars. It is too heavy and the stock wheels are too skinny, they just want to spin.

Where the XF NA shines is the mid-rev power at 35mph or higher. The horsepower and torque is smooth and seemingly unlimited on the highway and will pull effortlessly way past the 120mph mark.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Where the XF NA shines is the mid-rev power at 35mph or higher. The horsepower and torque is smooth and seemingly unlimited on the highway and will pull effortlessly way past the 120mph mark.
And this is what I like about it! Great road car. I could care less about out running another car from stoplight to stoplight.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I know that bmw 335 is a class below but both have the same legspace and both cost the same amount of money. I am 32 year old with two kids and both shall do fine with me, that's why i was asking which was the quicker in real world because that's what matters to me. Four seats and four doors for the wife and horsepower for me

Jaguar 5.0 is 385 horsepower and weighs 4067 pounds whereas 335i is 3591 with 300 horsepower that is weight to power ratio of 10.56 to 11.97. Hence the jag should easily be quicker of the two but official specifications of 0-60 of jag is 5.5 whereas for bmw is 5.1. This doesn't make sense. Is Jag under reporting the numbers
I was in a similar situation to you when I bought my car. If I had my way, I would have had a stick M3 or S5, but wife can't drive stick and said I needed a four door. I looked at the 335 and A4 and they seem much smaller than the XF. Also, interior quality just couldn't compete. Moreover, the performance of each just wasn't what I was expecting. I wantedntomlove the 335, but I couldn't.

Stepping up to the A6 and 5 series, I just found their looks uninspiring. The A6 has the best combination of engine, handling, and interior of all of them. However, the interior reminded me too much of my Q7 (which I love, but wanted something different on this car) and the interior just didn't captivate me the way the XF did. The 5 series just left me disappointed all around. I loved the e class, but wioutnthe the v8, it was too slow. I didn't want to spend the money on the v8.

So after that rambling, I guess my point is the XF was the perfect combination of looks power, performance, and interior I was looking for. I love the cars interior, but the infotainment leaves something to be desired. I find it both counterintuitive and slow. However, the cars other qualitys more than make up for it.

Performance wise, it feels faster to me than the 335 and a little slower than the s4. Both those cars are fairly substantially underrated from the factory. Handling is not quite as tight, but more than satisfactory for me.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 335i for the Jag - it's more refined but not as crisp handling as the bimmer - quieter (at least compared to mine with the sport package) and more relaxed on the road, but still sporty. I have only put 5500 miles on thus far, but no regrets (yet).

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I know that bmw 335 is a class below but both have the same legspace and both cost the same amount of money. I am 32 year old with two kids and both shall do fine with me, that's why i was asking which was the quicker in real world because that's what matters to me.

Looking in my crystal ball ..... I see a BMW in your future.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Ditto.....335

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Default Oh how wrong are you

BMW 335 is a no no. Even from performance perspective. Here is my assessment without driving either one of them. I shall drive them both as soon as I get out of this desert.

Both Cars have dead even quartermile but Jag is slow to 60. What this means is Jag is slow to get power but then the 385 horspower kicks in.

I am not going to race anyone stop light to stop light. All i want is to feel the rush when i push my foot down while cruising at 40 kmph and for that I think Jag shall be much better than 335 or even s4.

Also Jag's power to weight ration shall get less hit in real world with passengers and luggage than bmw. This i realized while watching tfl.com review where Jag obliterad lexus in 0-60 with two fat guys.

Jag weight in real world 4700 pounds with 385 hp. Power to weight 12.2.
335i weight in real world 4100 pounds with 300. power to weight 13.66.

And last 335i is a very normal looking car while Jag is gorgeous to say the least

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Is a 2011 xf supercharged out of consideration? The kick you are looking for is there, drive one and see.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Torque to weight is what counts, power to weight isn't relevant. Turbos or supercharged car's accelerate much more quickly than the numbers would suggest because they boost low down in the rpm range.

Check out Jaguar's new supercharged V6 for 2013. Check out those numbers, including the price! Higher torque and higher power, before modification, than either of the German 6's. Get the rwd version and go hunting for those under torqued Audis and Beemers.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Jag supercharge is not available in gulf, where i am living. Only XFR which is way beyond my price range.

Also Isn't the new 3.0 supercharged slower in every aspect than 5.0. It has slower quarter mile, slower 0-60, less torque and less horsepower.

Guys, is an rpm to torque graph for 5.0 available anywhere. That would really help understand the power curve of Jaguar 5.0

Last edited by Syed Muhmmad Hussain Shah; 03-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM

any reply possible to above.

I went to see jaguar xf and rear leg room was very very less. It seemed even less than 3 series. what are your feelings

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF Premium