XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XFR-S Varuna Alloy Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Jaguar XFR-S Varuna Alloy Wheels

I been taking a real good look at the Varuna Alloy Wheels that come on the XFR-S. From what I've been reading, There lite weight and will fit the present model XFR. Does anybody have any information on them that they care to share? I presently have the Nevis wheels on my 2013 XFR which as I believe are the standard wheels for the "R". When I first seen the Nevis wheels several years ago, I love the way they looked but having own them for 3 months, They are some serious work to keep clean. Its hard to get the grime and brake dust out of the twin spoke design, mainly because I have big hands. I presently use the armor-all wheel protected but after a few days of stop and go traffic, its no match for the over dusting these Jaguar brakes produce. I was also told that the Varuna wheels have a coating which help reduce the brake dust build up. I really miss my Volans wheels, They where a snap to wipe off and easyer to wax.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XFR-S Varuna Alloy Wheels-2014-jaguar-xfr-s-22_800x0w.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree that the Volans are very easy to wipe down. I get tons of complements on them. If I ever move to a XFR I'd probably take them with.

I swapped to ceramic pads and the brake dust is almost non existent. You might want to look into that option. The dust from the stock pads is horrible. One quick drive and they were coated with dust. I can drive for a week now and barely pull any dust off.

The following users liked this post:
Redjaguar100 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes...everything you say is true but some "racing guys at a German shop" told me that the ceramic pads will wear down the rotors faster.....trade off ?? Also I handle the dust problem differently now.....drive into one of those "do-it-yourself" washing stalls and use pressure soap and rinse on just the tires and tires and wheels really clean.....do this every week or so for about two bucks.......beats cleaning the black crap off of the driveway !!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

This will be the second set of pads on my current rotors so I plan on swapping rotors after this set anyway.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I actually think the Volans look better than those wheels.

Red, just pick these up. Jaguar XF 20" Supercharged Alloy Rims Wheels w Tires Decent Condition Used | eBay

Last edited by Executive; 10-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Redjaguar100 (10-05-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Varuna Alloy Rims

I asked my dealer yesterday about the Varuna's and apparently Jag won't sell them to you unless you can verify (VIN/P.O) that you actually own an XFRS. They want to maintain the exclusivity of these wheels. If anyone knows how to get a set I'd be interested.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Change to Akebono pads and you will never look back! Should have been factory installed.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleretail
I asked my dealer yesterday about the Varuna's and apparently Jag won't sell them to you unless you can verify (VIN/P.O) that you actually own an XFRS. They want to maintain the exclusivity of these wheels. If anyone knows how to get a set I'd be interested.
There is a set on ebay UK for sale.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

They are very easy to keep clean - much better than the Nevis I had on my XFR. As for a coating that reduces brake dust buildup, I call BS... never heard of such a thing. Being forged they are going to be more expensive than the cast Nevis wheels, I would expect. Good luck, and more power to you if you are able to source a used set!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sybarite
They are very easy to keep clean - much better than the Nevis I had on my XFR. As for a coating that reduces brake dust buildup, I call BS... never heard of such a thing. Being forged they are going to be more expensive than the cast Nevis wheels, I would expect. Good luck, and more power to you if you are able to source a used set!
Set Of 4 Genuine Jaguar XFR-S XFRS 2013 20" Varuna Alloy Wheels & Pirelli Tyres | eBay

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckh007
Yes...everything you say is true but some "racing guys at a German shop" told me that the ceramic pads will wear down the rotors faster.....trade off ?? Also I handle the dust problem differently now.....drive into one of those "do-it-yourself" washing stalls and use pressure soap and rinse on just the tires and tires and wheels really clean.....do this every week or so for about two bucks.......beats cleaning the black crap off of the driveway !!
Ceramic pads cause less wear not more. Follow this link to change over to ceramic pads. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

There are many ultra-high performance brake parts available that are extremely expensive, however I don't go racing this car. I would grade my use as "normal" city and then highway/interstate driving in the range of 60-75 MPH.

Ceramic Pads are the way to go. The Total Brake job on my 04 XJ VDP and now my 2011 XF SC with ceramic pads work great and virtually no dust. Semi-metallic brake pads are more abrasive and wear rotors faster. I have found more rotor wear and brake dust using semi-metallic pads, not less rotor wear. Ceramic pads cause less rotor wear and less visible dust.

Since they were first used on a few original applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

Basically I think the evolution of ceramic pads is an engineering improvement over past materials and they don't eat rotors they save them.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Varuna wheels on my XFR-S. My experience (only a handful of weeks) is that they look fantastic when clean, but they don't stay clean between the terrible break dust and road grime.

I think they get dirtier faster than other wheels I've had. Everything on them is gloss, which dulls quickly, and the large flat surfaces can start to streak with road grime and break dust.

Appreciate the ideas on ceramic pads, I need to look into it. I would highly suggest something to help with dust if you are considering these wheels.

Personally, I am considering a black wheel.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

One thing I noticed and kept bleeding my brakes until someone mentioned it. I do find the pedal is a bit softer with ceramic pads compared at least to my factory stock Brembo pads on my 2005 STR.