XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar XFR Track Day Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XFR Track Day Advice!

I've been thinking about taking the XFR to a track to really enjoy the cars performance capabilities and was considering taking it to Road America for a track day. I have never driven on a track before so this would be my first time and I had some questions.

1) I've been reading a few posts about how the stock brakes on the R, while great on the street, are not up to the task of a track day and that it would be a good idea to get new pads and brake fluid able to handle higher temperatures to avoid significant brake fade. (I was thinking EBC Yellow Stuff pads not sure what brake fluid). Is this really necessary or will the stock brakes and fluid be fine? Being my first track day, I won't be pushing the car too hard I don't think, but being that this car weighs over 4,000lbs and has 510hp it might be a good idea to at least change the fluid.

2)Tires are standard Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires fitted from the factory. They are brand new. How much of a beating would these get from the track? I know this largely depends on how hard you drive, but lets say I drive at 8/10ths. How will the tires hold up? Also, I read that they should be inflated slightly more than the factory recommendation of 34PSI so they don't roll on to the sidewall as much. What would be the correct PSI for track use?

3)The car is a 2011 and has about 40,000miles on it. Is there anything that should be checked before I take it to the track? How much of a beating will the car take and which parts will take most of the beating?

My main goal is to go out and have fun, not push the car to the absolute limit. However, I want to make sure I've prepped my car properly. Any advice at all on track days or anybody that has tracked their XFR will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Evan97; 08-02-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

learn how to actually drive on a track first. Most tracks offer 1/2 day courses then you can use their cars and beat them up. After doing that you may change your mind about taking your own "baby" and ragging it on the track. I did that and warped a front disk on their car

BTW 99.9 % of people do not have the mental ability nor skills to drive a car at 8/10 of its performance - they think they do but real track racing is an art form. Also the xfr is not suitable for track racing imo- its a fat cat with bad traction.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 08-02-2017 at 11:35 PM.