XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar's Direction and Future

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

It's interesting to see where Mazda is positioning itself now that it is unattached to Ford. They have stated that they don't need big market share to succeed as long as their products are perceived as "premium" in their respective classes, offering beautiful styling and a more engaging driving experience. These qualities don't have to appeal to every car buyer, just a good enough percentage of them. I see analogies for Jaguar. Of course it will have an easier time than Mazda in achieving it because of their rich benefactor Tata.

Jaguars will be the iphone of cars: sure you can buy a fully-functional Android but a certain segment of buyers want to pay a bit more for something more chic.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
I think manufacturers run into a lot of flak, whether deserved or not, when they use a chassis that was originally designed for the "everyday" line, and then try to make it into the luxury line vehicle. The examples are very numerous and include:

Omega-Catera, X-type-Mondeo, Cimmaron-Cavalier, Taurus-Lincoln MKS, Fusion-Lincoln MKZ,

Inevitably the argument becomes "it was a great Ford, but not a very good Lincoln or it was a great Mondeo but not a very good Jaguar. Doesn't mean they're "bad" cars, necessarily, but they just shouldn't do it.

They run into less difficulty when the manufacturer trickles down the luxury platform for use in the lower line or when the platform is originally designed for multiple brands ie, Thunderbird-Lincoln LS-S-Type, or Bentley-A8-Phaeton (though the Phaeton hasn't exactly been a resounding success!)
A8 uses completely different aluminum chassis unrelated to the VW and Bentley steel chassis.

Platform is a platform. There's nothing luxury about it, it's just a structure.

Size, weight and strength make one platform more suitable than another.

All manufacturers are working on reducing the number of different platforms. All newer cars are going to have to be lighter than current cars.

Jaguar is going in the right direction moving to all aluminum platforms, as they seem to be doing. They also seem to be developing a scalable architecture which, if it works out, would really be one "platform" used to build the entire range.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I was mistaken to put the A8 in my post above ( got ahead of myself because the next gen phaeton will move to the A8 platform), but the Bentley/Phaeton example is a perfect one - no one criticizes VW for using the chassis that was designed with Bentley in mind for use in the Phaeton (other than comments questioning why the VW and Bentley didn't use the more modern Audi space frame). However the point that manufacturers that have tried to use the plebeian mass market chassis for their luxury lines have ultimately been considered failures is pretty clear.

Regarding the future plans of Jaguar, they are always in a state of flux, but the link here I think pretty accurately conveys where they are going, which doesn't include transverse engine applications, and I would be surprised if the next Evoque doesn't move to the PLA architecture as well. I would completely discount what the Car and Driver article says about an XJ replacement coming in 2015, though.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/jaguars...urt-auto-show/

While I have never said the X-Type was a "bad car" - you'll see that the auto press and industry continues to hold that model against Jaguar and the article states the new XS or XE (sure hope they don't go with XS!!) will go a long way toward "erasing the stain of the X-Type"

The Jag crossover that has been pictures was likely built using an Evoque chassis and has resulted in the confusion about transverse layouts, etc.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 11-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM

If the F-Type coupe is any indication, we're heading for a great run at Jaguar. If you look at the trajectory, from X- and S-Type and X350 to what we have today, it's night and day difference in terms of feel and emotion. Realistically there's more that's is the same than different in some ways between the S-type and XF (DEW98 platform) and the X350 and X351. I can't wait to see what the new platform(s) have in store for us. Regardless of how many cylinders we get, it seems like Jag isn't going to lose sight of the power issue either, which is a great thing. Can never have too much power!!

Separately, what do folks think about the possibility of hydrogen fuel cells in Jags (I know it's been mentioned previously) given the announcements by both Toyota and Hyundai about actual production models coming very very soon with 300+ mile ranges and California moving forward pretty aggressively with refueling stations.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Personally I'm interested in pure electric cars. Hybrids seem overly complex to me, without the benefit of pure electric where you can put the motors right where they are needed, ie at the wheels. So I'd prefer the hydrogen approach if it could be made to work, at least until someone invents a truly revolutionary battery.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Personally I'm interested in pure electric cars. Hybrids seem overly complex to me, without the benefit of pure electric where you can put the motors right where they are needed, ie at the wheels. So I'd prefer the hydrogen approach if it could be made to work, at least until someone invents a truly revolutionary battery.
It will certainly be an interesting 10 to 15 years - I Suspect we'll see a lot of gut wrenching change as the traditional internal combustion engine actually comes under real and probably permanent threat. Not that it will go away ntirely any time soon, but it's reign as the undisputed power train of choice it seems will certainly end.

For some reason, your post caused me to think of the new 2014 Acura MDX (obviously Honda/Acura has a lot riding on this vehicle). What I noticed are the areas on the rear bumpers where I'm sure they were anticipating putting in the formed exhausts, are filled in as reflectors - almost like they're trying to hide the fact that it's a standard gas vehicle. Wonder if that will be a design trend - hiding the exhaust pipes (as though they're finding some kind of "modesty" in covering up their tail(pipes)...)

Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

- almost like they're trying to hide the fact that it's a standard gas vehicle. Wonder if that will be a design trend - hiding the exhaust pipes (as though they're finding some kind of "modesty" in covering up their tail(pipes)...)
Gosh I hope not..I think the frosting on the cake is the styling of the exhaust ports...I grew up in Milwaukee and hot rods and powerful cars was the trick...Call me old fashioned, but I want my internal combustion engines and I want to hear it and I want to see the exhaust, hopefully dual exhaust..

Last edited by DPK; 11-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM

Here are two photos of MDXs - one a 2012 prominently displaying its exh***t, and the other the 2014 with the reflectors filling what must have been originally intended as exhaust pipes (why else would they look like that?).

2014 Acura MDX | Photos, Videos, Exterior, Interior | Acura.com

http://www.luxurycarsweb.com/wp-cont...ra-MDX-117.jpg

Last edited by rbobzilla; 11-25-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:06 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Here are two photos of MDXs - one a 2012 prominently displaying its exh***t, and the other the 2014 with the reflectors filling what must have been originally intended as exhaust pipes (why else would they look like that?).

2014 Acura MDX | Photos, Videos, Exterior, Interior | Acura.com
I'm not real fond of Nissan anyway..but this is just plain ugly..I think I threw-up in my mouth a little..

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=rbobzilla;862558]why else would they look like that?

I'd say good eye spotting that.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajmarton
I have a 2012 XFR and was given a BMW M6 convertible to test drive for the last 3 days. While the convertible top was a nice feature, I prefer the Jag overall. The BMW was quirky to operate and the acceleration had some lag although it did give you a kick in the pants when it engaged. But everything seemed so complicated. Buttons and options everywhere. I constantly had to put the car in Sport Plus and adjust the ride. There may be a way to reconfigure these performance options but it was a pain. The huge screen was nice as was the heads up display and parking assist which was amazing. You get a bird's eye 360 degree view so you see the curb and everything else around you. Very cool. But there's a lag time for everything - much worse than waiting for the shifter to rise on the Jag. There's no Park so you have to set and release the brake to move - a pain. The only real plus was the exhaust note that was very sweet. I think the Jag XFR exhaust note is too low and went with the Mina which was a good compromise for the money. Anyway, the BMW M6 does come across as a true no compromises performance vehicle but it really had no personality like the Jag or the cache. It was not an eye catcher as no one really pain much attention to it - other than other beamer owners. In contrast, the Jag XFR (and S and R-S) are exclusive and you see a lot less of them on the road (and I live in West Los Angeles - with the you are what you drive culture). The M6 styling is somewhat unique but still close to a 6 series and does not get the looks of inquiry that I see when I drive the Jag. Valets are constantly complimenting the Jag when they bring up the car. Even at Comic Con in San Diego, people were staring at and talking to me about the Jag XFR because it is not a common car. I also test drove a 2010 911 convertible for a week and a Maserati QP convertible for a week. Only the Maserati rivals the XFR. It has an incredible exhaust note and is a head turner. It looks gorgeous and people notice it and talk to you about it. But overall, IMHO there is nothing quite as enjoyable as driving the XFR. It has a lot of personality (like my older sports cars) and an immense reserve of power. In Polar White - it's a sleeper - it does not telegraph its status as a performance vehicle which I like - no speeding tickets to date. I was fortunate enough to see the F-Type production line in Birmingham, UK and that may be my next car.
Can't agree more. I have not seen another XFR in my town. The dealer here does not even sell them. Every time I stop I get the "nice car" or "man... what is that". Also, I think my next jag will be an F-Type (when they finally coupe the darn thing)!

Last edited by dr_zerocool; 11-26-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dr_zerocool
Also, I think my next jag will be an F-Type (when they finally coupe the darn thing)!
Ditto...I was at the dealer this morning getting an alignment and they had 5 F-types, all rag tops and 4 was the 3.0L and one in BRG was the V8...I hope they keep putting in the V8 when the coupes come out (which they said very soon they'd be arriving) and I liked the Exhaust port arrangement better on the V8..The V6 has them centered in the middle of the rear...Yuk!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Ditto...I was at the dealer this morning getting an alignment and they had 5 F-types, all rag tops and 4 was the 3.0L and one in BRG was the V8...I hope they keep putting in the V8 when the coupes come out (which they said very soon they'd be arriving) and I liked the Exhaust port arrangement better on the V8..The V6 has them centered in the middle of the rear...Yuk!
Not only are they keeping the V8 for the coupe, they're bypassing the lower boost version of the V8-S of the roadster, and installing the 550hp version we know from the XFR-S. Based on my experience with the 495hp V8-S, it must be plenty quick!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I posted this in another thread, but it deserves it's own:

Jaguar reliability is no worse than BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. The problem comes from 30 years of building junk at high prices during the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's an entire generation that was brought up thinking that Jaguars are crap. why do you think Jag's demographic, until recently, was virtually elderly. Because...only people over 65 remember Jaguar's prominence.

It takes a long time to purge such negative perception. Yet, I think they are doing a good job at changing perceptions slowly by building quality cars, with beautiful cutting edge designs, and with bonafide performance.

Still, there are things to work on....

Jaguar has to pin down the branding of their Performance line. Is it "S", "R", "R-S"...it may sound silly, but it matters. There is only 1 BMW M ...only 1 AMG....yeah, they now have "M-Sport" options....and AMG has Black Series....but both M and AMG are the core, and very established. Jaguar should call their performance brand "R Performance Division"....They should badge the high performance models "R" ...that's it. And on very limited edition versions that are SUBSTANTIALLY different...call them "R-S". Example: There should be an XKR, and the true version of the XKR-S should have been what wound up being the XKR-S GT. The XKR-S that was actually produced was too incremental ...not enough for the price premium. Stop with changing the ECU programming, putting gaudy ground effects, adding some carbon fiber here and there, and stiffening the suspension a bit, and then trying to pass it off as a huge upgrade. It's not...the numbers prove it. The R-S models should be ***** out super cars....configurable dynamic mode, smaller supercharger pulley with ECU, adjustable sport exhaust, significant but tasteful body modifications. It should be like AMG Black Series. Dump the "S" moniker, and please, please stop changing the logos....it's about branding!!!

Let's boost the tech...It's sad that the new Chrysler infotainment system puts the Jaguar/Land Rover system to shame....actually, it's better than the Germans too. We don't have head's up display, night vision, fully adaptive cruise control, or other driver assists that cars in this range should have...

I'm convinced that Jaguar can be a top tier brand...it's a completely different company than 10 years ago, and the next 10 years looks bright...but it needs to focus on its efforts....and please, please nothing that resembles the BMW 550GT or Mercedes R class should ever ever be built.
I know I'm jumping in late on this, but, without going into too much detail about everything you said, I completely agree with you.