XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

extremely impressive!
I wish I was there for the dyno run (Huntington Beach?), but the numbers really speak for themselves.
I feel the need for some JailBreak magic myself now...

Old 09-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe

You really can't go wrong with them. They are great guys who are well educated (Bobby has a law degree and Matt has an MBA) and committed to their business. They are now working with GSR Autosport in Anaheim and HG Motorsport in San Diego, both well know and respected euro import shops in SoCal.

But if you want both tune and pulley you have to go to GSR as I understand that HG isn't comfortable doing the pulley (and I'd just do tune first anyway). They can dyno there at HG although it's a Dyno Dynamics dyno so numbers will be less than mine shows. They do have a correction factor that appoximates Dynojet numbers (which are always highest) which seems pretty accurate based on some info I received from Patrick813. Another option is to go through ETG for the pulley as they have a puller that can take off the stock pulley without cutting.

As I said before, since you have a stock supercharged, get the tune first and decide if you need more. You're going to get a huge bump just from the trim level (470 to 510 bhp) and the tune adds a bunch more (490+ rwhp with 460+ rw torque). I think it was easier to drive with just the tune. Now I have so much power down low that it requires such fine motor movements of my ankle to control. Fun but not as easy.

Let them know I sent you and they will take good care of you. And let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-07-2015 at 01:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thank you, sir! I am actually good friends with HG Motorsports, plus they are local. So, I'd definitely let them do the tune (and dyno).
I have not decided when to tune (my car has only 800 miles as of now), but I will most likely skip the pulley.
Again, great to see such increase in power!
P.S. So, even though from the factory my motor is rated lower (470 vs 510) than yours, the tune will be equally effective?

Old 09-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
P.S. So, even though from the factory my motor is rated lower (470 vs 510) than yours, the tune will be equally effective?
That is correct. The power difference between the XF Supercharged and the XFR is purely ones and zeros. The factory tune limits power output for the XF Supercharged. Mechanically, the XF Supercharged and XFR are the same.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

With 800 miles I'd wait a bit too. Get to know the car well then do the tune. Half or more of the fun of mods is to know what it was and then know what you've improved. Makes the money easier to spend as well.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

And see if you can find some racing gas to make your 1/4mi. passes on.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
And see if you can find some racing gas to make your 1/4mi. passes on.
Bobby was curious what it would do with 100 octane. Said it sometimes takes a while (up to a full tank of gas) for the ECU to advance the ignition enough to make a big difference.

I don't have any experience with race gas, other than I loved to smell it at the motorcycle races, but have heard it doesn't always have the desired effects because the tune doesn't take advantage enough for the cost.

Any additional input?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Bobby was curious what it would do with 100 octane. Said it sometimes takes a while (up to a full tank of gas) for the ECU to advance the ignition enough to make a big difference.

I don't have any experience with race gas, other than I loved to smell it at the motorcycle races, but have heard it doesn't always have the desired effects because the tune doesn't take advantage enough for the cost.

Any additional input?
Race gas makes a HUGE difference. I made over 110hp/110tq more on the VP110 (leaded) map vs 93 octane on my old STI. If you have multiple maps for different gas, the ECU doesn't need to learn to make the adjustment, it should already be calibrated for. If you're gonna do a race map I would do it on the highest octane UNLEADED you can find (I ran leaded on my STI because it was catless). C16 is preferable.

When I was part of the IS300 crowd I watched a guy go from a daily driven 93 octane map on his GTE swapped IS (~550hp I think) to over 790whp on a C16 dyno pull. He brought a 5 gallon can of it to the dyno day and made sure his tank was already low before filling up.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Race gas makes a HUGE difference. I made over 110hp/110tq more on the VP110 (leaded) map vs 93 octane on my old STI. If you have multiple maps for different gas, the ECU doesn't need to learn to make the adjustment, it should already be calibrated for. If you're gonna do a race map I would do it on the highest octane UNLEADED you can find (I ran leaded on my STI because it was catless). C16 is preferable.

When I was part of the IS300 crowd I watched a guy go from a daily driven 93 octane map on his GTE swapped IS (~550hp I think) to over 790whp on a C16 dyno pull. He brought a 5 gallon can of it to the dyno day and made sure his tank was already low before filling up.
I should clarify what I said here: race gas makes a huge difference IF you have it tuned for. I can't see it making a big difference power wise on a 93 octane map, other than the added benefit of extra knock protection.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I should clarify what I said here: race gas makes a huge difference IF you have it tuned for. I can't see it making a big difference power wise on a 93 octane map, other than the added benefit of extra knock protection.
That's what's in question here as the map will not change.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Race gas will let you stay maxed out on boost and timing. From my experience most cars will run max timing and boost until the computer hears detonation, then timing and/or boost is backed off. The computer doesn't so much see the octane, as much as it hears engine killing detonation.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-08-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

That's what's in question here as the map will not change.
That is the biggest issue I have with tuning these cars, I guess my access port spoiled me when I had my STi.

Is the Jag computer fully unlocked or do all the tuners take a XFR-S or XKR-S tune and modify it?

Adding launch control and flat footing shifting on a car that was not originally designed with it was awesome.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Jailbreak took my stock XFR tune and modified it based on dyno time and laptop skills to get the final product. They took off the top speed limit and other things as well. Not sure how far you can go, but Jaguar doesn't "help" tuners as some manufacturers do by giving access to code. They had to get a special software tool to even get access to the ECU.

And flat footed shifting is standard on the XFR ...yes I'm being a smart ***.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Jailbreak took my stock XFR tune and modified it based on dyno time and laptop skills to get the final product. They took off the top speed limit and other things as well. Not sure how far you can go, but Jaguar doesn't "help" tuners as some manufacturers do by giving access to code. They had to get a special software tool to even get access to the ECU.

And flat footed shifting is standard on the XFR ...yes I'm being a smart ***.
Yeah that's the way to do it versus off the shelf tunes. Boiler, I had several high hp Subies and actually had the original V1 Accessport. The OTS tune back then was absolute garbage, once the Protune capability came out there were some good things that tuners were doing. I also used the TurboXS UTEC with selectable map shifter buttons (that was SWEET) and my STi had the Hydra EMS from Element Tuning (tuned by Phil Grabow @ Element). I do miss those Subaru's a little....except when they broke which was a lot

Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
That is the biggest issue I have with tuning these cars, I guess my access port spoiled me when I had my STi.

Is the Jag computer fully unlocked or do all the tuners take a XFR-S or XKR-S tune and modify it?

Adding launch control and flat footing shifting on a car that was not originally designed with it was awesome.
For the Jag or any car using OBD engine controls to remain street (SMOG) legal in CA its gotta be some sort of re write of the factory tune. GM actually tracks the engines # of tune attempts now in 2 ways, each engine tune is given a reference # tied to it's VIN that only GM can see. Re-tune the engine that count and reference # will change when compared to the GM # = A VOIDED WARR. The more sophisticated these cars get the less they want you tweaking them..lol
The other way is the engine control computer actually keeps a regular count of the OBD access tries. This is what the State can see when you get a SMOG here in CA with the new STAR Smog check, the STAR smog only checks engine sensors and OBD access attempts, too many access attempts could mean a smog guy was trying to tweak you into passing. This will be the future norm fellas.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah that's the way to do it versus off the shelf tunes. Boiler, I had several high hp Subies and actually had the original V1 Accessport. The OTS tune back then was absolute garbage, once the Protune capability came out there were some good things that tuners were doing. I also used the TurboXS UTEC with selectable map shifter buttons (that was SWEET) and my STi had the Hydra EMS from Element Tuning (tuned by Phil Grabow @ Element). I do miss those Subaru's a little....except when they broke which was a lot
I never had a single issue with my 07 but I also never pushed it in the tuning department either past the stage 1 tune on the AP. 65k miles and it still had the stock clutch when I traded it in.

I wish we had a hand held tuner for the Jag computer.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member

Ok. I guess I was mistaken when I published my dyno numbers from Saturday. That's what I get for putting something out half baked. I received the WinPEP files today and when I went to put it all together, I realized the 532/496 run was on STD correction and not SAE. After changing it to SAE, it was 520/485. It's still a bit better than expected but not "WTF is going on here" either. Still extremely happy with the result. I initially wanted to get back to the stock bhp ratings of 510/460 at the wheel. Done and done. And it's been very drama free except for the supercharger coolant pump issue, which has nothing to do with the mods.

I've attached the stock run, the run with tune and x-pipe only (with an asterisk) and the tune, pulley, x-pipe and intake run as well as the chart with AFR below. I give the tune and x-pipe run an asterisk because I don't know if the supercharger coolant pump was functioning correctly at that time or not. I believe so based on AFR, but it's interesting for comparison either way. What I find interesting is that nowhere in either the hp or torque curves do any of the runs come anywhere close to one another. Just more power with each level with no penalty. I haven't taken any time looking at the power listings, but I'm curious what the biggest increases are at each level.

I also attached a chart of all 5 runs for both SAE and STD correction. The consistency is why I've decided I don't need water/meth injection. In fact, the 4th run was the best so no heat issues to speak of. Never would have expected that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe-stock-vs.-tune-pulley-x-pipe-intake-afr-9-5-15.jpg   Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe-stock-vs.-tune-pulley-x-pipe-intake-9-5-15.jpg   Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe-all-5-runs-9-5-15-sae-correction.jpg   Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe-all-5-runs-9-5-15-std-correction.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-10-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Great set of charts, and I'd die for those AFRs at the moment!
Fingers crossed I'll have something like them come this Tuesday.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Great set of charts, and I'd die for those AFRs at the moment!
Fingers crossed I'll have something like them come this Tuesday.
Thank you! I make them myself. If anyone wants to see anything else, just let me know. Pretty easy to do. What I can't figure out is people that have dynos and can't produce a decent dyno chart. I learned how to make basic charts with WinPEP in about 30 min. and in an hour figured out everything I could do with the software.

I hope you get your situation figured out soon.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Thats great info!!! Great work......

Really want to go down the custom MAP route with my XFR after completing some further intake and exhaust work. I'm in the UK so can pick up 98/99 octane fuel really easily so will run the MAP on this........as a base line you say you had 458hp......thats only a 10.2% drive train loss to 510hp......is it really that low?? Just watched a Lambo LP670 Murc make 548rwhp.......yours aint that far off!!! happy days!!

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe