XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
Thats great info!!! Great work......

Really want to go down the custom MAP route with my XFR after completing some further intake and exhaust work. I'm in the UK so can pick up 98/99 octane fuel really easily so will run the MAP on this........as a base line you say you had 458hp......thats only a 10.2% drive train loss to 510hp......is it really that low?? Just watched a Lambo LP670 Murc make 548rwhp.......yours aint that far off!!! happy days!!
Depends on the brand of dyno what you will see. I have learned that "dyno racing" is just as much a waste of time debating whether the 72 Dolphins would beat the Patriots of last year.

My point is that Lambo might make as much as 15% more power depending on the dyno used and what correction factor. The dyno runs are really only good to know how much your car increased on that dyno with "X" modification. And none of this should be taken that I'm not extremely happy with my numbers. I just know they don't always translate well.

The variation in the dyno numbers also makes it nearly impossible to calculate drive line losses as a percentage for the model as they can all be different. If Jaguar gave me a number then I could approximate drive line loss but every individual car is different.

As far as a custom tune, I would definitely seek out someone who is well respected and pay for the dyno time to get what you want. The more mods you do before, the more it will benefit you in the end as the tune will be optimized for your configuration.

The following users liked this post:
damienedwards (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

So now...when are you headed to the track to get some 1/4mi numbers for us?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by allenman85
So now...when are you headed to the track to get some 1/4mi numbers for us?
Dragstrip: The only real way to tell about power

I'm scheduled to go to Famoso on the 26th and I have the new S-04's so traction will not be an issue. Hopefully it cools off a bit before then but don't expect it. My goal is to get to the 11's and be over 118. Not sure it's realistic, but that's the mindset. If I get close to the time but the trap speed is good I'll take it.

Traction is so much better I might actually be able to improve my 60 ft. times which were consistently crappy last time. And the track is supposed to give me .2 or so compared to Fontana. So I'm thinking it's possible.

Will definitely report back. Patrick813 and my friend with the GT500 will be going as well so should be fun. Hopefully Patrick gets his tune done in time.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
My goal is to get to the 11's and be over 118.
I'm guessing 121-122mph if the HP numbers are good. Traction might be a bear but that should still get you in the 11's. Looking forward to some results!!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by allenman85
I'm guessing 121-122mph if the HP numbers are good. Traction might be a bear but that should still get you in the 11's. Looking forward to some results!!
It's supposed to be mid 80's that day so no telling what's going to happen to HP after sitting in line for 20 min each time. Feel like I have a better chance now without the Hankooks. Not bad cruising tires but they don't stick and I only got 15K and they were to the cords and leaking air. Will never go back since I've tried something different.

Hope you're right on the numbers. Will be the second time this month :-)

Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Hello All,

I wanted to put all of this information in one thread in case anyone would like to refer back to it. I've been working on engine/exhaust mods for about 2 1/2 months now and have finally completed all that I plan to do. I'll go through all modifications and impressions so far. I included a copy of they dyno with stock, x-pipe and tune, and x-pipe, tune and pulley; a print out of the power, torque and AFR for all three runs in 100 rpm increments, as well as a photo of the x-pipe. Stock power was 458 hp and 403 ft./lbs. of torque. I've adjusted the color of the power listings in this post to correspond to the colors on the dyno chart.

1. X-Pipe - Took out the two center resonators and added a custom x-pipe. This mod smoothed out the sound and took away most of the decel. popping. Made it a bit louder and deeper when decelerating, going slowly and when downshifting. I think it's actually quieter at steady state cruising and I don't think it's louder under WOT, which I wasn't expecting. Sport mode is also just slightly louder than stock but sounds so much cleaner. Car feels much smoother all around. Seems like throttle response is crisper - maybe the better pull through and scavenging at work? I drive in D with Dynamic Mode on most of the time and it does feel better to me.
Cost: $250 at a local muffler shop.

2. Jailbreak Tuning Tune (978) 600-8863 - Custom dyno tune. Made 492 hp and 466 ft/lb. of torque without a pulley. Changed the entire character of the car. It became a torque monster. Car pulled firmly everywhere in the rev. range. Always wants to go faster now. Feels so much stronger in every respect. I physically feel the power pulling much harder than before, so butt dyno agrees with real dyno. It also seems to raise the suspension up under hard acceleration, which it did not do before. If I didn't already have the pulley, I would have left it like this.
Cost: $1,200

3. Exhaust Valve Delete - After the X-pipe modification, I still wasn't happy with the volume of the exhaust. Liked the tone, but couldn't hear it well with the windows up. I heard a Mina and an Arden exhaust and both were too loud for what I was looking for. So I had the muffler valves deleted to let more of the sound out at lower rpms. Love it. Gives me the character I was looking for without having to worry whether I can talk on the phone over the exhaust or hear passengers in the back seat. Look for posts from Craneboy for detailed photos.
Cost: $200 at a local muffler shop

4. Eurocharged Pulley - Made 498 hp and 454 ft./lbs of torque I already had the pulley purchased so I decided to put it on after the tune. Had GSR Autosport install it. Took about 2 hrs. all total. Noticed that the car pulled noticeably harder still, especially at low rpm's and it also made the car pull through the rev range faster. Not the amount of change as the tune, but still noticeable and actually really not needed. And I know it says that my peak torque is lower now, but the curve is flatter and I have over 425 ft./lbs. from 2500 rpm to 6100 rpm. I don't feel the slight dip in power and torque between 3700 and 4700 because if I'm in that range, I'm typically all the way into the throttle and I go right past it.
Cost: $175 for the pulley and $210 for installation

I've spent a lot of time carefully researching my mods and I can't tell you how happy I am with them. Some I went in a direction less traveled, but my gambles paid off. My advice is don't be afraid to try some things and make the car yours. I've only had mine since August and I'm glad I started this process immediately, as I can now enjoy the fruits of my labor for many years to come. If anyone has questions about what I've done, don't hesitate to PM me or post on this thread.

Brian
So, bottom line: X pipe, tune and pulley all together contribute an 8.7% horsepower increase; hardly noticeable under real world conditions. Much to do about absolutely nothing, and less than to be gained by simply switching from ethanol containing gasoline, to non-ethanol gasoline, at a far lower cost, and which would pay for itself in terms of increase MPG in the real world. I remain convinced, only suckers waste money on such meaningless modifications.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 09-15-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
So, bottom line, X pipe, tune and pulley all together contribute an 8.7% horsepower increase; hardly anything barely noticeable under real world conditions. Much to do about absolutely nothing!
Try reading the whole thread, not just the first post...

Old 09-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

So, bottom line: X pipe, tune and pulley all together contribute an 8.7% horsepower increase; hardly noticeable under real world conditions. Much to do about absolutely nothing, and less than to be gained by simply switching from ethanol containing gasoline, to non-ethanol gasoline, at a far lower cost, and which would pay for itself in terms of increase MPG in the real world. I remain convinced, only suckers waste money on such meaningless modifications.
Have you done the dyno runs and driven the car before the aforesaid modifications and after? Can you substantiate that you can achieve better than 23.2 mph on the freeway at 80mph?

I'm on the mobile app and can't see your profile but I'm guessing you haven't done any modifications to your car.

I live in California so where do you suggest I find non-ethanol gasoline? Do I need to modify my garage to house a tanker truck so I could have enough fuel for a month? Where is your testing that non-ethanol will give gains of 13.1% (60 hp on 458) on 5.0 supercharged motor?

And where did you come from? To my recollection I've never seen you on a single post in the two years I've been on the forum. But as I said I am travelling and am on the mobile app and can't confirm your contribution to the forum.

When I return home I'll make sure to do my research before I call TROLL. Unlike you who makes claims without doing the work.

I await your response with baited breath...

aliensporez (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Default Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe

I found where in the the mobile app to find the threads started by a member are located. Not surprising that most of yours are off topic and have nothing to do with cars or are spy shots etc.

You can't figure out where to get your car "tuned" to go more than 121 mph. I'm working on getting mine to that in the quarter, with me in it!

I plan on doing the Mojave mile this spring. I'll let you know how 175+ feels. Feel free to drive your 190mph Vette out and we'll see if any of the mods I've made make any difference. And don't forget your gas can of ethanol-free fuel. We don't have that out here and you'll need the 10+% power gain you claim it provides to stay with me.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 09-16-2015 at 12:29 AM.
aliensporez (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

What kind of New math are you using?
434 stock whp or 510hp - 15% loss
498 modded dyno whp =
A 64whp or 14.7% GAIN over the Stock whp.
The very simple hot rodders math doesn't lie. LOL if you can get that kind of whp gain from just a gas swap please share, hell I'll pay ya for it. I challenge you to give me any PERMANENT, NON N02 mods that for about $1800 will show that kind of gain in a AJ133SC XFR engine? I'll wait.
Everybody's an expert until they have to prove it?

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-16-2015 at 01:41 AM.
aliensporez (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have access to and buy almost exclusively non ethonal gas, and although I feel it runs smoother with better acceleration on NE, it is not producing horsepower like Kyanite mods have. I can't believe it's has any serious impact in that regard although I have no measurements to go by either way.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope you are dressed appropriately after that post

Name:  flamesuit.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  26.1 KB

The following 4 users liked this post by aliensporez:
2010 Kyanite XFR (10-06-2015), Bigg Will (09-16-2015), BostonKiller (09-18-2015), Panthro (02-27-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by aliensporez
I hope you are dressed appropriately after that post

And johndahlheimer needs to stop doing this Too!..LOL

Attached Thumbnails Jailbreak Tune, Pulley, Muffler Valve Delete & X-Pipe-fb_img_1435036779996%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-16-2015 at 11:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
2010 Kyanite XFR (10-06-2015), BostonKiller (09-18-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Kyanite and BiggWill,

Reading a few tuning posts on the XK side of the forum and there is much talk about the TCU module also needing a re-flash as if left alone it will just bleed off any extra power gained........any thoughts on this????

Old 09-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

I will have more definitive information on that after I go to the track next Saturday. I just got the Bridgestone S-04's so I now actually have traction in the lower gears. So we will see what my 60 ft times look like now.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

not sure if this has been mentioned before but the 5.0L is an open deck design.