XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jumpstart without access to Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Jumpstart without access to Trunk

I have a 2012 XF. Trunk key lock seems broken as it won't turn. No access to Trunk. Able to access the cabin through the drivers key (luckily this lock worked).

Looking up online I am thinking to do the following:
- open the fuse panel under the right hand side passenger glove box.
- connect battery charger positive to the positive terminal connected to the fuse panel.
​​​​​​-connect the ground connector from battery charger to metal door hinge.
- hit the trunk release button near drivers steering wheel.
- disconnect battery charger (ground first then positive connection)
- reconnect it to the car battery as similar (positive then ground ) for a jump start.

Does this make sense ? I'm so bad with these things related to the battery.

Going on vacation now. When I got in the car tried starting the engine and then now some lights in my car are flashing as well as a relay noise from under the hood keeps repeating. Also the turn signal lights flashing but very strangely like an error blink very dim. Battery is going to be drained completely when I get back.

Last edited by hen555; 05-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

If you jack up the car, remove the right front wheel and wheel arch liner, you'll find a positive battery terminal under this red plastic cap.

Jumpstart without access to Trunk-photo948.jpg

Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

From my reading and (admittedly dodgy!) memory that all sounds about right to me.
However I would let the battery charger run for a few minutes first before trying the trunk release, and again when connected to the main battery before attempting to start the car.
But before you go on vacation, do you have time to at least charge the battery enough to get the trunk open? If you do then it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you leave (just disconnect the earth lead) and leave the trunk open (or at least lowered but not latched) while you are away.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
If you jack up the car, remove the right front wheel and wheel arch liner, you'll find a positive battery terminal under this red plastic cap.
Thanks for this info although I find the fuse box method method easier. I may need to do this if my trunk still doesn't open and is seazed shut (possible since my key isn't working thus something must be wrong - probably the light in the trunk is on which drained the battery).

Is it safe to jump from wheel well terminal and start the engine while it is jacked ? All I have is the basic spare wheel jack nothing fancy.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
From my reading and (admittedly dodgy!) memory that all sounds about right to me.
However I would let the battery charger run for a few minutes first before trying the trunk release, and again when connected to the main battery before attempting to start the car.
But before you go on vacation, do you have time to at least charge the battery enough to get the trunk open? If you do then it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you leave (just disconnect the earth lead) and leave the trunk open (or at least lowered but not latched) while you are away.
Thanks for the tips I will leave it in a few minutes. I never used a jump battery before (never jumped a car my self either) and I have it on order to arrive for when I get back from vacation. So unfortunately I cannot do it other wise I would. The risk is causing damage to my battery due to depletion right ? I am thinking I might need to get a new battery (AGM type).

Old 05-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

You will definitely need a new battery if it has depleted for that long

I would not start it on a jack due to risk of rocking and toppling it. I wouldn't jump it with a totally dead battery either. Use the wheel well to get access to the trunk. Then put the car back down and either charge the battery up fully on a charger or replace it if it's really dead. Then start the car

I'm sure you know this but some settings like Trip mileage and maybe radio stations and clock will need resetting. And the window auto open and auto close stop limits (all very easy to do and well covered in the forum)