XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Just painted rims to match now im curious....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Just wrap it in vinyl, it's reversible if you don't like it. TC

Old 08-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Agreed. I'd have a go in wrap, and I'd probably try satin or matt rather than gloss. You'll need the big pack rather than a trim pack because of the length, otherwise you will have joins everywhere and it will look crappy. I was thinking about doing it to my XKR which is why I have an opinion. Here is a black XF with black pack, looks pretty good to me although I also like the chrome trim 2011 Jaguar XF Black Pack Boldride.com - Pictures, Wallpapers

Actually on second thought you might need gloss to match the c pillar.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Wrapping is a good non permanent route. The cheapest non permanent solution would be to plastidip them yourself. Not hard to do just takes some time to prep. Perhaps you could dip one side of the car and see if you like the blacked out look. If not you can just peel it off.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I like the contrast of black & chrome and have added extra chrome to mine - but they way you have it now it might look cool all blacked out. You've gone this far I'd do the final touches and go all black.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JagVonder
@Kennyboy

You don't feel it makes the car look unbalanced??
Even though I agree with Kennyboy, it still looks in your words "unbalanced". Tough call but something is missing and I cannot figure what it is.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusXFR
Even though I agree with Kennyboy, it still looks in your words "unbalanced". Tough call but something is missing and I cannot figure what it is.
Would chrome side vents like this pic perhaps fix the unbalance??

Attached Thumbnails Just painted rims to match now im curious....-image-180197769.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

JagVonder, just a thought, look into black chrome. Yes, it is more on the expensive side of things, but what you end up with is a car with some contrast, yet, not something that has the bright bling of the silver chrome. The black chrome actually comes out a dark gray. So, you would have opposing colors with a mix of shiny aspects too. You could do this to anything that was chrome as it would layer right over what you currently have.

You could even do the grille and side plates too with this treatment. That is the path I plan on taking if I get my ultimate black XF.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! had no idea there were so many opinions on this. I guess I'll chime in since I seem to find myself in the exact same situation as you. Just bought a spare set of the stock XFR wheels and had them powder coated. Love the look of the wheels (again, just my opinion) and now something is a little "off". I've decided the window trim chrome has got to go. Maybe I'm way off base, but I feel like keeping the grille chrome and maybe the side vents in chrome are ok, but it just looks a little bit funny having the chrome around the windows. Admittedly I prefer my sports sedan to be a little more "sport", but to me, and for the look I'm going for, I think black window trim is the way to go. I'm just waiting for someone with the black trim to feel the exact opposite and agree to do a swap with me! Here's a couple of pics:

Attached Thumbnails Just painted rims to match now im curious....-best3.jpg   Just painted rims to match now im curious....-best2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

@SugarChev - my only comment might be to change from red to silver calipers - might balance out the gorgeous chrome vent ( don't make that black .... )

I love seeing how everyone looks at cars, kinda makes the day go easier thinking about combinations.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarChev
I'm just waiting for someone with the black trim to feel the exact opposite and agree to do a swap with me!
Brilliant!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Just an FYI, but the trim around the windows is not chrome. It's anodized and significantly less shiny than chrome. It's more of a polished look.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

You have all confirmed why I don't like completely black rims on most cars but especially not on Jags. They just become non-existent because the rest of the car has enough style to completely overshadow them. Black rims with polished lips would work well enough.

To Thermo's point, I'd been debating black chrome wheels with black chrome wrap on the trim pieces. But I would have had to paint/plasti-dip the mesh part of my grill black and then I would have still had bright chrome exhaust tips so it wouldn't have been cohesive. I've also read that the wrap will scratch in short order and not look so great in a year or so. And I certainly wasn't going to get it chromed due to cost and inability to go back if I didn't like it. So back to bright chrome for me.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Just a thought for those with a little bit of hobby experience. If you are worried about what something would look like, get yourself a model (they come in sizes from 1/12th scale to 1/78th scale) of your car. Then you can repaint pieces as you see fit with a little sample of paint. That way, if you don't like something, no crime has happened to the car itself. The extent of this testing is only limited by your hobby experience as you can even do fairly custom designs using a mix of a computer printer and blank decal sheets should you so desire. They make lettering and striping in many sizes and colors too. This is what I am thinking I will do once I settle on what my next jag is (got a 2011 XJL Supercharged that is really catching my eye).

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm glad I went with the blacked out grille / gunmetal wheels / blacked out exhaust tips. I plan to leave the window surrounds chrome, however I will likely be blacking out the chrome headlight housings when I get the time to take them apart:

I have since added the red wheel center caps which really sets it off and plan to pick up the Mina carbon fiber side vents if they still make them.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JagVonder
Would chrome side vents like this pic perhaps fix the unbalance??
I like it but someone mentioned black chrome and that would be perfect on the side vents. The car is still stunning with or without it.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I'm glad I went with the blacked out grille / gunmetal wheels / blacked out exhaust tips. I plan to leave the window surrounds chrome, however I will likely be blacking out the chrome headlight housings when I get the time to take them apart:

I have since added the red wheel center caps which really sets it off and plan to pick up the Mina carbon fiber side vents if they still make them.
That's a clean vehicle there WRX. I like the subtle gunmetal wheels and blacked out bottom front grille. Red calipers and/or wheel caps will blend nicely with the black and chrome.

The following users liked this post:
WRXtranceformed (08-15-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
JagVonder, just a thought, look into black chrome. Yes, it is more on the expensive side of things, but what you end up with is a car with some contrast, yet, not something that has the bright bling of the silver chrome. The black chrome actually comes out a dark gray. So, you would have opposing colors with a mix of shiny aspects too. You could do this to anything that was chrome as it would layer right over what you currently have.

You could even do the grille and side plates too with this treatment. That is the path I plan on taking if I get my ultimate black XF.
THat is exactly what I have been thinking. I just picked up a 2011 XFR and thought the bright wheels are a bit of a distraction, but don;t want it to look like a "race racer". I have purchased the paint and will do the wheels after taking a look at how it comes out on my son's 2000 Saab 9-5 wheels.

f it goes well I will do the other bits of chrom a little at a time to see how i like the look.

Last edited by Jssaab; 08-17-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

The wheels look great . If you remove the bright window trim the car will lose the Jaguar identity that the manufactures so carefully built into it . With out its defining styling clues you could be driving around in anything ( Mazda, Pontiac, Kia ) . Your car looks great , in fact A little more chrome would look nice .

Chrome that thing up , then add some fins , then add a little more chrome ( Virgil Exner 1955 )

Attached Thumbnails Just painted rims to match now im curious....-0912sr_01-1955_desoto_fireflite-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by Five Speed; 08-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, don't mean to distract from the convo...but can't seem to find the same red caps for your wheels from Mina Gallery.

Unless I just can't see them correctly, because the picture distorts when zooming.

Do they have the Jaguar emblem on them or the Mina Emblem?

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Leave the window trim as is........too much black is too much!

Quick Reply: Just painted rims to match now im curious....