XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key replacement

I posted this question before, but I didn't have much luck finding a key online, so I thought I'd try again.

Our closest dealer (two hours away) told us that we could get a replacement key at their facility for $315. I think that's preposterous, but I was going to bite the bullet and go for it. Then when I talked to the parts guy, he said that if I wanted the electronic FOB AND the metal blade key, it would be $740! - for a bloody KEY!

I'm already catching heck from the wife for spending so much on a 2009 XF, but we both nearly blew our tops when we found out that it cost so much for a key.

So please help me out here. When I looked for a key online, the only one that looked reliable was either for the electronic FOB only, or just for the plastic covering with no electronics.

Is there anywhere (specific) where I can find a replacement key FOB and metal blade key for our 2009 XF?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think these can be trusted? I know there were problems with folks purchasing keys on ebay and finding out that they were not compatible.

Originally Posted by DPK
Did you try ebay?

2009 jaguar xf key | eBay

Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicktruck
Do you think these can be trusted? I know there were problems with folks purchasing keys on ebay and finding out that they were not compatible.
You got EBay's buyer protection going for you..so it's worth a try..

Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The good news is that I got an ebay key from Chevy, Toyota items in FOBKEYLESS store on eBay! and it works well in an XK8. Had it cut and programmed at a local key shop. The bad news is that the XF key they sell is $300.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I have had luck in the past with Ebay laser key blanks and getting them cut at a good locksmith with the proper equipment. A lot of cars have a manual procedure you can use to program it yourself (I did this on my old Lexus) but unfortunately it looks like for your car you need special OBD-based equipment. It might be worth asking around at local locksmiths to see if it's something they can do...they would likely still not be cheap but significantly cheaper than a Jag dealer.