XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"Keyless start back up. Smart key error" After Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Keyless start back up. Smart key error" After Battery Replacement

Hi guys, I've just had the main battery replaced on my 2013 facelift XF 2.2D, and the smart key won't let the car start anymore. The error is exactly as in the title.

I'm holding the key against the bump 2-3 inches below the fog light switch. Regardless of key orientation, the first time I press start, I get "Unable to find smart key. Refer to handbook", then I get "Reposition smart key and press start button", and then eventually "Keyless start back up. Smart key error".

I'm at my wits end as to what to do next, other than to have it hauled off to a dealer - which I want to avoid because I'm not in my home country right now and that hassle will eat a ton of time and money.

Any help appreciated!

Old 01-04-2022, 04:07 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Common and know fault on the X250 2012-2015. Search the forum for various posts regarding it and it's fix.

Quick heads up - BCM corruption due to battery disconnect.

The following users liked this post:
Erick (09-08-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 02:45 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdk2000
Hi guys, I've just had the main battery replaced on my 2013 facelift XF 2.2D, and the smart key won't let the car start anymore. The error is exactly as in the title.

I'm holding the key against the bump 2-3 inches below the fog light switch. Regardless of key orientation, the first time I press start, I get "Unable to find smart key. Refer to handbook", then I get "Reposition smart key and press start button", and then eventually "Keyless start back up. Smart key error".

I'm at my wits end as to what to do next, other than to have it hauled off to a dealer - which I want to avoid because I'm not in my home country right now and that hassle will eat a ton of time and money.

Any help appreciated!
Hi mdk200 - i have exactly the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Old 07-26-2022, 01:24 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

You need to run "immobilisation" in SDD

Don.Tomm (11-12-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:37 PM

Thanks. I've ordered a cable and just need to locate the software. How easy is it to run the procedure, do I need to connect to a back-up battery or power source?

Old 07-29-2022, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Can you run that function with ignition off? I can't turn on the ignition...

Don.Tomm (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 07:29 AM
Default Thanks

Hi mate, thanks for your availablility, so, how i can with jlr sdd v160? Seems really more difficult to be as v154. But i can't find v154 online .
​​​​

Old 11-12-2022, 07:30 AM

​​​​​Hi mate, not find with v160. How i can ?

Old 11-12-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

This was copied from a FB page......Jaguar XF remote lock/key not recognised issues.

I've been getting many requests from the group via word of mouth and I've done quite a few.

Issue one most common:

Car won't lock after battery disconnect. This is solved via immobilisation in SDD.

Issue two less common:

Key not recognised at all hence no ignition, immobilisation not possible.

This is done via cluster reprogram as it will bypass the key sequence, turns ignition itself and do the immobilisation at the end.

This will also update cluster to latest software, bonus.

Please don't throw suitcases of money on KVM module/keys and what not, I've never seen a faulty KVM module.

I charge 50 for it if you come with the car in Keighley or Shipley, West Yorksire. United Kingdom that is.

I can also do any sort of programming, retrofits, CCF editing.

I have the latest SDD and Pathfinder and I am the one selling the complete units on eBay over 110 sold.

Also do not throw money in any tools no matter what the sellers say, only SDD can do it no Autel etc.

valuefresh (09-15-2024)
Old 11-12-2022, 05:28 PM
Default Thanks

This was copied from a FB page......Jaguar XF remote lock/key not recognised issues.

I've been getting many requests from the group via word of mouth and I've done quite a few.

Issue one most common:

Car won't lock after battery disconnect. This is solved via immobilisation in SDD.

Issue two less common:

This is done via cluster reprogram as it will bypass the key sequence, turns ignition itself and do the immobilisation at the end.

Please don't throw suitcases of money on KVM module/keys and what not, I've never seen a faulty KVM module.

I charge 50 for it if you come with the car in Keighley or Shipley, West Yorksire. United Kingdom that is.

I have the latest SDD and Pathfinder and I am the one selling the complete units on eBay over 110 sold.

Also do not throw money in any tools no matter what the sellers say, only SDD can do it no Autel etc.

​​​​​​Thank you mate. I'm obliged to program new key modules as new key programmation, dashboard modules and gear modules. After i had to reinstall new brake modules and new abs . Now is totally perfect but really hard job and more than 3 hours of job. I have mongoose sdd jlr v160.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:24 PM
no1
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Issue one most common:

Issue two less common:

could u add the link to this fb page I would like to contact him or find out what his complete units on ebay are called to buy one

Old 11-29-2022, 04:26 AM
no1
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Don.Tomm
​​​​​​Thank you mate. I'm obliged to program new key modules as new key programmation, dashboard modules and gear modules. After i had to reinstall new brake modules and new abs . Now is totally perfect but really hard job and more than 3 hours of job. I have mongoose sdd jlr v160.
where did uget your mongoose cable that is compatible with jaguar? Ive been on drew techs website and i cant find it anywhere on there?

Old 05-09-2023, 07:32 AM

Issue one most common:

Issue two less common:

hi do you have a link for ebay

Old 09-05-2023, 04:48 AM

hello there,
did you manage to get the issue resolved as i have the exact same issue?

kind regards
john

Old 09-05-2023, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBreen
hello there,
did you manage to get the issue resolved as i have the exact same issue?

kind regards
john
Let me know if you require help with this. I can be available to come to Royston to fix this for you.

Send me a PM if required

Old 09-07-2023, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoJo88
Let me know if you require help with this. I can be available to come to Royston to fix this for you.

Send me a PM if required
hi there and thanks for getting back to me.
I am in Royston Hertfordshire if that makes a difference, I have the sdd software and teamviewer if you could help me remotely and I would be more than happy to pay for your time.
kind regards
john

Old 09-10-2023, 02:22 AM
Default Smart key not found

Originally Posted by Don.Tomm
​​​​​Hi mate, not find with v160. How i can ?
are you able to come and solve this problem at home ?

Old 09-10-2023, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBreen
hi there and thanks for getting back to me.
I am in Royston Hertfordshire if that makes a difference, I have the sdd software and teamviewer if you could help me remotely and I would be more than happy to pay for your time.
kind regards
john
As mentioned - send me a PM.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by danciosubaru
are you able to come and solve this problem at home ?
question for John Williams

Quick Reply: "Keyless start back up. Smart key error" After Battery Replacement