XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Knock noise in 2010 XF 5.0 supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock noise in 2010 XF 5.0 supercharged

I recently purchased a 2010 Jaguar XF supercharged, just love this car. Its has 96,000 miles on it, I do not know any history as for maintenance. I have changed the oil and fixed other small issues it has had so far.
I have read many of posts on this forum about knock noises from timing chain to supercharger coupler.
The knock noise that I am hearing can be felt when hand is placed on the metal coolant pipe that is located front middle of engine that appears to go under the upper plenum/intake. Also on the top of plenum on both sides, but mainly at coolant pipe.
It is at an idle, at a higher rpm I do not notice it, but on a slight throttle increase/ decrease it can be heard
Anybody else experienced this?? Any suggestion on where else to look or suggestion to help diagnosis noise.
Thank you in advance

Old 09-20-2022, 05:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jackh
I recently purchased a 2010 Jaguar XF supercharged, just love this car. Its has 96,000 miles on it, I do not know any history as for maintenance. I have changed the oil and fixed other small issues it has had so far.
I have read many of posts on this forum about knock noises from timing chain to supercharger coupler.
The knock noise that I am hearing can be felt when hand is placed on the metal coolant pipe that is located front middle of engine that appears to go under the upper plenum/intake. Also on the top of plenum on both sides, but mainly at coolant pipe.
It is at an idle, at a higher rpm I do not notice it, but on a slight throttle increase/ decrease it can be heard
Anybody else experienced this?? Any suggestion on where else to look or suggestion to help diagnosis noise.
Thank you in advance
one thing you can try is undoing the supercharger belt and seeing if the noise is there.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
one thing you can try is undoing the supercharger belt and seeing if the noise is there.
I removed the supercharger belt, started car, unable to hear the noise. I spun all the pulleys, they feel good. When turning the supercharger pulley it has slop amount = 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock then catches and spins the charger . When spinning supercharger it felt smooth. Is there suppose to be that much slop before the coupler makes contact I'm guessing not and the coupler is failing causing noise.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:00 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jackh
I removed the supercharger belt, started car, unable to hear the noise. I spun all the pulleys, they feel good. When turning the supercharger pulley it has slop amount = 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock then catches and spins the charger . When spinning supercharger it felt smooth. Is there suppose to be that much slop before the coupler makes contact I'm guessing not and the coupler is failing causing noise.

definitely check that coupler. I went with a solid coupler for mine but some people have said solid ones have caused issues so they went with oem.