XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lawyer solicitation for XJ and XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Lawyer solicitation for XJ and XF

Got a letter in the mail from a law firm advertizing that they can get me a cash settlement for my XF because it's a defective car that could have, "engine problems, fuel pump problems, pinging noises, power steering issues and leaks, and shut off while driving."

That's not good for business for Jag.

I just got the car a couple of month ago, and I heard there was a recall for a software update to fix stalling issues. My dealer looked up the service history and my car has that recall applied.

I did own a 98 XJ8L that used to stall unpredictably while driving on the freeway when you lifted off the gas. They dealer seemed to fix it after 3 tries, but I still sold it right after because it was no longer trusted. To fix it, they had to put on an entirely new, upgraded intake system.

I will puke if this car starts doing that, because I can't tell you how horrible it is to have a car where you always have to be on the lookout for a place to pull over if the car stalls. And with that XJ, you had to come to a complete stop, put in park, and only then restart it. No on-the-fly restarts like the old days. Just forget about having female family members drive a car that does that.

Please tell me this car doesn't do that???

I did have one instance so far when I was in a drive through car wash (a nice one) and it stalled. I want to believe I accidentally pressed the power button without realizing it.

The following users liked this post:
Alexander White (09-06-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If the lawyer is from Louisiana, I have received the same thing from him or someone like him on our Jag, our Toyota, and our Subaru over the past few years. It appears to be an attorney/firm trolling for lemon law clients based on NHTSA recall data and Texas registration records (there must be too many lawyers per ambulance where he is from). I would not let it bother you much. If you had a vehicle that would fall under the Texas lemon law, you would not only know it, you would likely be seeking out a local attorney if the dealer/mfg was not getting things fixed correctly. I think of it like the half dozen traffic ticket lawyers letters we got last year when my wife got a ticket for driving her Jag a bit too fast -- thanks, but I don't need YOUR help.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwxf
If the lawyer is from Louisiana, I have received the same thing from him or someone like him on our Jag, our Toyota, and our Subaru over the past few years. It appears to be an attorney/firm trolling for lemon law clients based on NHTSA recall data and Texas registration records (there must be too many lawyers per ambulance where he is from). I would not let it bother you much. If you had a vehicle that would fall under the Texas lemon law, you would not only know it, you would likely be seeking out a local attorney if the dealer/mfg was not getting things fixed correctly. I think of it like the half dozen traffic ticket lawyers letters we got last year when my wife got a ticket for driving her Jag a bit too fast -- thanks, but I don't need YOUR help.
Save those traffic lawyers' numbers. I hired one 7 years ago and she got my ticket dismissed on a technicality. I never had to go to court or meet her in person. My driving record is now clean since 1987!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Save those traffic lawyers' numbers. I hired one 7 years ago and she got my ticket dismissed on a technicality. I never had to go to court or meet her in person. My driving record is now clean since 1987!
Here in Texas, we have the deferred adjudication.

Basically, you pay a bunch of fees (that are usually just as much as the ticket, but less than most attorney fees), and the court agrees to forget the whole thing ever happened if you don't get another ticket in a year in the state.

So unless you are habitual, it's often cheaper and less risky than going with a lawyer. The last time I hired a lawyer (6 years ago), they made me show up to court to waste a day only to pay them and the court to file the deferred adjudication on my behalf. I didn't make that mistake the second time (2 years ago). I just mailed in the court money myself.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I received a similar letter from a law firm in california. I gave the letter to my Jag dealer as a heads up.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

lotus you can restart on the fly. shift into nuetral, press and hold the start button. no brake pressure needed. it should be in your owners manual. also i hate those class action suits. drive up the cost ofeverything and the only ones that come out with moeny are the legal firms. had a frined that participated in one a few years ago. pretty big. she got a check a year later for $14. she looked up the firm settlement and the firm pocketed $4 mil

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be worth sending the letter to your State Attorney General's office. They might not take too kindly to that form of client solicitation in your State.