XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Leaking Windshield Washer Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015 | 07:37 AM
|
Default Leaking Windshield Washer Reservoir

My 2012 XF has a leak in the tank that spills the fluid on my driveway. It is most noticable in the colder weather.

Last winter, I took the car to the dealer and they "found no leak" (but they did keep the car for a couple of days) and refilled it with a mixture that immediately froze when the outside tempreatures went below 30 degrees. I told them that it was freezing and they laughed at me thinking that I must have been imagining it. I offered to buy my own gallon and they could use it to refil the tank. It stopped freezing when I used fluid from an auto parts store, but the leak was still present. During the summer there was no evidence of a leak nor abnormal filling frequencies.

Fast forward to this winter, it is leaking again. This time I took pictures in the driveway. If I had to guess the dealer does not want to spend the time removing the fender cover and fix the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Old 03-22-2015 | 11:17 AM

Haven't heard of it happening on your particular type of car, but it has on others. You first need to check where the leak is coming from, possibly small hairline crack in tank, hose, or gasket where the washer pump connects. Then you can go from there and determine what fix is necessary. Sometimes temperature changes can seal or open up small cracks.

Old 03-22-2015 | 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

When I first got my old XFS some 18 months ago I had constant "washer fluid low" warnings, even a day or two after topping up the washer bottle.
I thought it must be a crack or leak in the washer bottle, so I took the car to a local mechanic to check this out.
They found nothing wrong.
A few weeks later I discovered the problem - one of the headlight washer hoses had become disconnected from the headlight housing, and was dumping the washer fluid out over a period or a day or two.
I reconnected the hose and problem solved.
Of course this only applies to XFs with HID/Bi-Xenon headlights.

Old 03-28-2015 | 03:39 PM
|

Thanks for the pointers. But the location of the tank is behind the fender cover on the passanger side of the car. In order to look at that I'd have to remove the wheel, and the fender cover. I believe that the dealer should do this for me, it is warranty work. When they find the problem they have the tools and knowledge to fix it properly. If I do it myself I wouldn't have the proper replacement parts and it would take me longer.

Old 03-28-2015 | 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chairman25
Thanks for the pointers. But the location of the tank is behind the fender cover on the passanger side of the car. In order to look at that I'd have to remove the wheel, and the fender cover. I believe that the dealer should do this for me, it is warranty work. When they find the problem they have the tools and knowledge to fix it properly. If I do it myself I wouldn't have the proper replacement parts and it would take me longer.
In warranty? Take it in!