XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Leather seats stretching

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at it some more and I think you are actually right even though you were joking. The cushion seems to have collapsed. That seems to be the root cause.
I need to see if they can do something regarding the upholstery, but compared to rear and passenger seat it totally flattened out, and as I said I am 200 pounds, not 400 so that really should not happen in a month.
I guess I will go on the war path now.

H

Originally Posted by Brutal
YEAH BUT WHITE AND BLACK HEXED PATTERNED SEAT LEATHER WOULD LOOK FUNNY
MAYBE THE CUSHIONS NEED TO BE INFLARTED
ALL YOU CAN DO IS BRING IT UP TO THE DEALER AND GO FROM THERE. I MUST SAY I HAVENT EVER HEARD THAT COMPLAINT HERE, BUT THEN MAYBE IT DOESNT GET PAST THE ADVISORS

The following users liked this post:
Frodo (04-02-2013)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

The drivers seat in my car looked brand new when I bought the car (8 months ago with 65k miles on it). Now the seat cushion leather is loose and has the wavy look. The previous owner was a smaller guy, I am 200 pounds, seems these seats don't like 200 pounders! Like the previous owner I am careful getting in and out of the car, I try to minimize dragging myself across the seat by lifting in and out and out of the seat.

I think it is the design of the seat, the large square patch of leather, my BMW seats never stretched to this extent but they did not have a large single patch of leather on the seat cushion either.

Not really a big deal, I still love the car!

The following users liked this post:
Frodo (04-02-2013)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
I think it is the design of the seat, the large square patch of leather, my BMW seats never stretched to this extent but they did not have a large single patch of leather on the seat cushion either.

great point and probobly true since more stiching reduces area avail to stretch. But that may also reduce the area of avail airflow on the perforated heated and cooled seats. give up one to get another?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I agree it is a rather minor annoyance, assuming it stays that way and does not get worse.
I shall try to lose 30 pounds, perhaps by running everywhere I need to go
H

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
The drivers seat in my car looked brand new when I bought the car (8 months ago with 65k miles on it). Now the seat cushion leather is loose and has the wavy look. The previous owner was a smaller guy, I am 200 pounds, seems these seats don't like 200 pounders! Like the previous owner I am careful getting in and out of the car, I try to minimize dragging myself across the seat by lifting in and out and out of the seat.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Hans, loosing weight isn't going to help. I weight 155.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Oh crap, I will never get there.

Originally Posted by Executive
Hans, loosing weight isn't going to help. I weight 155.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

lol
I have been trying to get the numbers up, but doesn't work.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I just can't resist pointing out that the leather is designed to stretch for comfort. Like shoes or gloves, the leather is fitted tightly and it is intended that it stretch to form a comfortable seat. Cheap leather is already over stretched. Expensive leather stretches.

Try the difference between hand lasted shoes and cheapo crapola from China and you will understand that stretching leather seats is an indication of good quality, not of the cheaper stuff.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I have a couple of Ferragamos but thye do keep their shape pretty well. I think their value add is the last, but I am not disagreeing with you.
H

Originally Posted by jagular
I just can't resist pointing out that the leather is designed to stretch for comfort. Like shoes or gloves, the leather is fitted tightly and it is intended that it stretch to form a comfortable seat. Cheap leather is already over stretched. Expensive leather stretches.

Try the difference between hand lasted shoes and cheapo crapola from China and you will understand that stretching leather seats is an indication of good quality, not of the cheaper stuff.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF perforated leather seat stretching

Originally Posted by Hans Wolters
Hi, I recently took delivery of my XF with Sports pack, meaning it has the perforated leather seats. After roughly 4 weeks and 1100 miles, the leather of the seats markedly stretched, so that it now seems too large for the seat, or perhaps the seat cushion compressed. I am a 200 pounder, so by no means a light weight, but my X-Type did not show this behaviour. Granted, the XF leathers seem very different, but me thinks that something is wrong. Anybody else have that problem?

Hans
I have this exact same problem with my XF portfolio and it looks awful. Imagine what it will look like at 20'000 miles. Shrewsbury Dealer says its not covered under warranty which is outrageous given the car cost £50,000. Very disappointed

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

I've had leather seats in all my cars and they've never looked like this. I've also poked around the second hand XFs at the local dealer and they look fine. I think there simply isn't enough upholstery in the seat cushion.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Default Perforated leather stretching

Originally Posted by Hans Wolters
Ok, I will it show it to my dealer in the coming days, and see what they have to say, Sounds like this problem is not just my imagination....
Best of luck with the dealer on this. Mine said that it was 'acceptable' Such a shame to mar the ownership of this fabulous car with such bad customer service