XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lights not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights not working properly

Hello, I have a 08 XF and my head lights are acting weird or I'm just using them wrong. Okay, so when I set the lights to "auto" I dont have any exterior lights on. Only setting I can get my headlamps on is the headlamps setting. But when I turn the car off with that setting selected, the headlamps go off but sidelamps turn on. Which is annoying because I cant leave my car with sidelamps turned on. And finally when I select exit delays lamps, I again dont have any lamps turn on. Any help?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Received 318 Likes on 243 Posts

If the light sensor senses its too bright, the headlamps wont come on till its dark enough.

Are you making sure you're turning the switch on the stalk all the way to auto and off? The middle setting will be for the parking lights.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ben30
Hello, I have a 08 XF and my head lights are acting weird or I'm just using them wrong. Okay, so when I set the lights to "auto" I dont have any exterior lights on. Only setting I can get my headlamps on is the headlamps setting. But when I turn the car off with that setting selected, the headlamps go off but sidelamps turn on. Which is annoying because I cant leave my car with sidelamps turned on. And finally when I select exit delays lamps, I again dont have any lamps turn on. Any help?
They're not acting weird. When you shut off the ignition with headlights on and switch in the "on" position you are trying to leave your headlights on with the ignition off. To protect from a dead battery the car shuts off the headlights but leaves on the parking lights front and rear. To turn these off you need to move the switch to "off." As an alternative, you can select one of the auto settings. In any of these settings, everything remains off until it gets fairly dark and then the headlights come on, shown by a green light symbol in the instrument panel. There are several auto settings giving various headlight on delays after shutdown. Reading the manual is always helpful.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Swimref
They're not acting weird. When you shut off the ignition with headlights on and switch in the "on" position you are trying to leave your headlights on with the ignition off. To protect from a dead battery the car shuts off the headlights but leaves on the parking lights front and rear. To turn these off you need to move the switch to "off." As an alternative, you can select one of the auto settings. In any of these settings, everything remains off until it gets fairly dark and then the headlights come on, shown by a green light symbol in the instrument panel. There are several auto settings giving various headlight on delays after shutdown. Reading the manual is always helpful.
Can't really use the auto settings because in daylight it turns all the exterior lights off and thats not allowed here.

Is my only option to have headlamps ON and always turn them to OFF when I leave the car?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

It sounds like you need to install a set of after-market DRLs.
Not too expensive or all that difficult.
It is even possible to retrofit factory DRLs to an 08 XF, in the chrome "blades", but they are like rocking horse doo doo to find. Keep checking eBay and you might get lucky.
Or else you can fit after-market LED DRLs in the blades, plenty on eBay, I fitted a set to my old 2010 XFS.
The only hassle is that some don't fit all that brilliantly and you have to cut huge slices out of the black backing plastic.
Either way you need to wire them up properly so they turn off when the main lights turn on, which you may need some help to do. I did as I am hopeless at electrical wiring!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Can't really use the auto settings because in daylight it turns all the exterior lights off and thats not allowed here.

Is my only option to have headlamps ON and always turn them to OFF when I leave the car?
You don't give your location but it sounds like Canada with a used model originally sold in the US. Other than manually switching the lights on and off, there is another option. Your dealer can change the settings so that you have what models originally sold in Canada have, which are daytime running lights (front headlights on a reduced power setting) on all the time unless full headlights are needed. Another headlight setting they can change is for whether the car is used in a drive-on-the-right or a drive-on-the-left country (yes, the light pattern is different).

Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Okay so today with the auto mode the headlights are turned on even though its just as light as yesterday when they were off all day. Not sure what to make of this. Also interior lamps the ones on the roof randomly goes on and off and sometimes flicks a few times

Old 04-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

not allowed here.
Save everyone - including you! - grief and put in your details.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Save everyone - including you! - grief and put in your details.
funny

Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Okay so today with the auto mode the headlights are turned on even though its just as light as yesterday when they were off all day. Not sure what to make of this.
This happens often. The light sensor is located on the front side of the rear view mirror and reads through the windshield. Dust or raindrops on the windshield can fool it. There is no adjustment available for sensitivity. I would love it if mine came on a little sooner.

Also interior lamps the ones on the roof randomly goes on and off and sometimes flicks a few times
This is a completely unrelated problem that was very common with the early (2008-9) XF's. There is a simple dealer fix for this (Note I said simple and not cheap. No Jaguar dealer service work is anything close to cheap.).

Old 04-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Today I noticed my headlamps flickered for a few seconds. Quickly went on and off until I switched from auto to off and back to auto, then it was fine. What could be causing this?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 AM

This is a completely unrelated problem that was very common with the early (2008-9) XF's. There is a simple dealer fix for this (Note I said simple and not cheap. No Jaguar dealer service work is anything close to cheap.).[/QUOTE]

I took the panel off and cleared it off dust and flies and now seems to be working as normal.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

funny
It's not funny, you expect people to help with your problems but you can't take the time to enter your vehicle details in your signature or posts to help them.
Perhaps you can spare the time to post an intro in the new members section also.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
It's not funny.
Sorry to me its it