Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default loaner experience, XJ vs XFR

So, I had an XJ as a loaner yesterday, I have a 2010 XFR for comparison:

• has more windnoise at speed than the XFR, surprised and disappointed
  • has more tire noise at low speed
  • exhaust is more open than the XFR
  • sport mode is less aggressive and carries less revs than the XFR - unsurprising
  • normal D mode runs less revs than the XFR, both are 6 spd
  • the light chassis is noticeable, the car changes direction nicely, while the suspension isn't as aggressive this is still apparent. Bring on the all aluminum XFR!!!
  • while I'd looked in the window in the dealer and felt the XJ interior was a big step up...it didn't feel that way once in the car
  • touchscreen is an improvement, but is awkward, not unlike...well...all touchscreens. The silver gleam/sparkle that it gives when you hit a button is appreciated
  • please don't put an electronic cluster into the next car I want to buy...I will be disappointed.
Most of this is as expected, however, the increased noise isn't. One gets the feeling that keeping weight down was too much of a priority.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the information. I was always interested in how the XJ compared. I love the styling, but the larger size was a turnoff for my wife.

No regrets on my part at all.. I love my XFR. I was just curious as to how the XJ handled.

Did anyone else hear about the upcoming XJR-S? That would be fun!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Good comparison - always wondered what the difference was between the two, in all areas. (never driven the XJ)

I have heard many complains about the tire noise - most XJ owners aren't fan of the original Pirellis.

The wind noise is surprising - should be much quieter inside the XJ. I suspect the pugnacious face on the XF/R cuts through the wind better.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

At 150 kp/h, the windnoise is noticeable, probably more like the 190 kp/h in the XFR. It really is that noticeable. Neither of those speeds are particularly relevant to normal driving though... The noise comes from the top of the windshield.

It just seems like they scrimped on sound deadening material.

Handling wise, the car definitely shows what an all aluminum chassis can do, it's a major difference. Given the lighter feel and softer spring and smaller tires its a bit tough to separate the source of the 'lightness on its feet', but, there's something to the chassis that's great. Makes me crave a drive in the f-type really...

Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Now that i think about it, almost the entire roof on the car is glass. I am sure that's a contributing factor.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

You got jaguar Calgary to give you an XJ loaner?...? Well done!

My last loaner was a ford focus, old style and truly horrible. New focus is European and very good.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Since I have both the XJL and the XF from the 2012 model year, I can say that I would definitely prefer the XJL and its additional luxury to the XF if it wasn't to the ride issues with the XJL. The XF actually rides better over freeway speeds and surfaces.

The XJL's steering always seems to be active. You feel perfectly smooth road surface texture vibrations through the steering. I don't like that. I changed the stock Pirelli tires after only 2K miles in the hopes of taming the ride but, while it helped a bit, the XF ride is still better. The XF also handles better, the difference is that, between a sport sedan and a luxury limousine. Not that the XJL handles poorly, it does not. But, the XF is more agile, thus, more rewarding to drive over winding roads.

Jaguar changed the suspension setup for 2013 XJ(L) as they appear to have received much complaints regarding a lack of ride isolation. I'm yet to try the new model's ride, hopefully they corrected the issue. If my XJL ride was as good as the XF or better, as it should be expected, I would definitely recommend the XJL.

Albert

Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i've gotten the same Land Rover loaner twice. meh, feels like its gong to tip over any second....

they OUGHT to give me an XK loaner, so that when i'm ready to replace the 2012 XF i bought a few months ago, i'm looking at a more expensive jag.

right?????

Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well, was at the dealer for service and got to sit in the XJ. I have to say, i loved it.

If i had to do it again, i would probably for the Xj. But, then there is the test drive that may refrain me from giving up a XF.

The car is absolutely stunning.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Well, was at the dealer for service and got to sit in the XJ. I have to say, i loved it.

If i had to do it again, i would probably for the Xj. But, then there is the test drive that may refrain me from giving up a XF.

The car is absolutely stunning.
XJ is absolutely brilliant to drive. Too big for me but gives us an idea of what an all aluminum XF might be like: stupendous.