XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Loaner Vehicles - Curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership gives out Jags as loaners, but if they run out, then you get an Enterprise rental. Doesn't happen often, but if they get a few unscheduled repairs in, they can run out of loaners.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lord, I hope they don't give me a craptastic loaner. Never even occurred to me that they would do that as it seems like a great opportunity to leverage a new sale. Oh well i will find out soon i am sure.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The type of car you get while your auto is under repair or just a rental in another city while travelling can influence your future purchase. Case in point. I was in Vancouver BC about two months ago and needed a rental for my one week stay. I had already reserved a Mercedes C300 from Budget. Upon arrival I noticed on their board behind the counter that they also had a Jaguar XK. Well, I inquired if it was available instead of the Merecedes. It was. It was an '07 XK black. I enjoyed the vehicle so much that I ordered a new XKR 2013 shortly after returning. I will have the new vehicle by about July.

So, what they give you for a loaner may come back and compliment them or bite them!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer also uses Enterprise and no Jag unless you pay for it. After I frowned at the offer of the basic shoebox I was "upgraded" to a Prius. I felt sick driving it the whole day since it was as slow as a snail. But at least I didn't use any gas...

Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been an ongoing complaint of mine. MB, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura all give their own cars as loaners. Jag uses Enterprise, these cars are often filthy, smelly and just plain junk, I once got a Yaris it was "the only car we have". You can call me a snob, but I agree that if you spend 60k or more on a car you should not have a "loaner" that is not comparable to what you are currently driving. That said, I'd prefer an Acura TSX over some of the junk I've been subjected to, they are truly nice cars.

Enterprise does not take care of their vehicles never mind the fact that they are always dirty. I once had to clean the inside of the windsheild because no one ever thought to do this little detail, never mind that at night you could not see properly.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by chairman25
This has been an ongoing complaint of mine. MB, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura all give their own cars as loaners. Jag uses Enterprise, these cars are often filthy, smelly and just plain junk, I once got a Yaris it was "the only car we have". You can call me a snob, but I agree that if you spend 60k or more on a car you should not have a "loaner" that is not comparable to what you are currently driving. That said, I'd prefer an Acura TSX over some of the junk I've been subjected to, they are truly nice cars.

Enterprise does not take care of their vehicles never mind the fact that they are always dirty. I once had to clean the inside of the windsheild because no one ever thought to do this little detail, never mind that at night you could not see properly.

You are absolutely right!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Austin Jaguar Land Rover are fantastic. I get either a Jag or Land Rover as a loaner and they are always in tip top condition. Presumably this is the choice of the dealer so dealers who give you a nasty Enterprise loaner obviously care not for your custom.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Enterprise quite a bit but I guess it depends on where you get them that determines your experience significantly. Here's my experiences:

A. My local dealership has Jaguars but they are usually an upgrade car. They are typically clean inside and out but the gas tank is usually 1/4 full or lower.

B. My local GM dealership also used Enterprise and their cars were clean and had a half a gas tank. They rented Mazdas so go figure.

C. Edmonton airport in Alberta always has spotless cars which always had a full tank. However they are sometimes out of the higher end cars since previous customers have a habit of wrecking their cars.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I discovered this week that my dealer will pickup/deliver, pretty convenient if you have a second car, or don't need the car for a few hours. It was gone less than 3 hours this morning for LOF/state inspection. I generally only ask for a loaner for significant service or diagnosis, otherwise schedule when we can drop it off and use my wife's car. Dealer is a mega-dealership, so loaner is usually a Jaguar (X350), LR or (small) MB.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

My local dealer uses Avis and they generally have Impalas and Malibus. They're always clean and in nice condition, but driving these cars makes you quickly realize why GM has so much trouble competing today's marketplace. The Impala is like a step backward 20+ years in ergonomics, comfort, electronics and refinement. Honestly, does anyone other than rental, police and taxi fleets buy these things with their own hard-earned money?

I've suggested to the service managers that they should just have Avis supply them with a fleet of Cadillac CTS'. I've rented those from Avis a number of times and found them to be quite likable for a rental car.

On a related topic, over ten years ago when my wife brought our S-type in to the same dealership for service, she got something really cheap and flimsy as a loaner car. It was either the cheapest Daewoo or Hyundai available. My wife was so annoyed that I made a point of calling the service manager and noting it on the survey. They later upgraded to better cars (Volvos, Jaguar X-types, and Lincoln LS). Speaking up definitely helps.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I've gotten quite a few Enterprise crapwagons when I've had work done on my S-Type. The two worst were a Ford Focus and a Honda Civic. They both were like driving around in 55 gallon drum. I once got a Chevy Silverado extended cab pickup which was like driving a battleship. About as easy to park as well.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, my service center also services Maserati, Bentley and Rolls. They use to sell cars at that location, but don't anymore, however, they still have a showroom where you can view/sit in the above cars if you so chose when you get service work. Maybe you get one of those if you have to have service on a similar car. Anyway, I was given a MB ML350 when I left my car for 4 days.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting mix of different approaches by different dealers. My dealer (I actually go to Marin Jaguar; it's a long story) has always supplied me with a current model Land Rover loaner. Not a Jag but at least it's up-market and not an Impala rental. They are terrific to deal with, btw.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealership uses rent-a-prize and I've had everything from a Grand-Caravan which was used to take my wife to an appointment 5 minutes away from the dealership... talk about a stinky dirty vehicle. It seemed like there had been a family with a bunch of kids on vacation in it and they didn't have time to clean it... needless to say, I said never again to that.

My next was a Dodge Avenger... newer but lacking none-the-less. It was funny when I told my mother-in-law that I had an Avenger because she just bought one about a year ago... she said "how do you like it.. it really goes huh?" Went right in the garage for the 10 days my car was at the shop... lol

I currently have a Nissan Altima... as my car is back in the shop and has been for over a week... today makes the ninth day. The Altima is a nicer vehicle but way lacking in power... My Mina exhaust arrived yesterday and now the Altima is starting to bug me... or maybe it's the dealership bugging me.... nine days... again? I am starting to get attached to the gas mileage though... 8 days of daily use and I just dropped to just above half tank... going to wash it today, especially if I'm going to have it over the holiday weekend.... wait a minute... we have an XJ8 in the garage... maybe start driving that... lol

Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 AM

Just got a brand new - only 10 miles on the clock - 2012 XF Portfolio - Stratus Grey/Charcoal with the premium package 2 and the sport pack for a service loaner. Very nice - love all the upgrades - especially the seats and the entertainment/nav/voice system - really nice and much needed updates. I did note that my 2011 seemed a bit more responsive and quicker off the line - probably a break in thing on the 2012. In anycase I would consider the 2012 XF a worth while trade up. - I think I like this color combo as well. At least for once I hope they take their time servicing my car

Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I was shocked when I first took my former '09 XFS in for service and they tried to give me a Chevy Cobalt loaner from Enterprise. I thought I was on a hidden camera show - I seriously couldn't believe it. When I told them they had lost their minds, they ended up getting me a bottom of the line Chrysler 300C. But, both of the two Atlanta dealerships I use (Nalley and Hennessy) were giving me the Enterprise garbage cars for over a year, but Hennessy (who I think recently bought Nalley) recently bought several 2012 XFs to use as loaners and have given me a 2012 XF on two occasions now (with no Enterprise crap wagons in between).

Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I just got a 2011 Land Rover LR2 when I dropped off my XF, When I last serviced my Mercedes, I got a 2012 C250, When I last serviced my BMW, I got a 2010 128i, but when i service my Maserati and Toyota, I get no loaners, just a shuttle ride. TC

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
wkb
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today they gave me a Toyota Corolla. From Enterprise. Which means that the inside of the windshield had not been cleaned, ever.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tc1728
... but when i service my Maserati and Toyota, I get no loaners, just a shuttle ride. TC
The Toyota I understand. But if you wanted something other than a shuttle ride, you should have gotten a Ferrari instead of the Maserati. <grin>

Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

I just had to drop by the dealer this afternoon because the registration expired on the rent-a-prize loaner I had for the past two weeks... thought I would shame them into hurrying up my car but was given a Mitsubishi Gallant instead... 2 week and 1 day and counting... The service person said "the plan is to have your car done tomorrow." I have to admit, I'm getting pretty fed up with this now... the loaner car is junkier than the last which wasn't too bad... now I'm speechless.

My Mina exhaust is sitting in my garage and has been for a week now.................

Quick Reply: Loaner Vehicles - Curiosity