XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Looking at an 09 SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an 09 SC

An 09 Supercharged near me is for sale with only 64000 kms on it. One of the things that the Jag dealer listed as part of its reconditioning was that the gearbox was changed out because of oil leaks causing premature wear. Is this a normal issue for the 09's or is this car a possible lemon? It looks like the previous owner was stranded at least twice in the past 9 years by similar problems.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

If it had unfixed gearbox leaks... not normal, but if fixed then it should be fine.

If you can't DIY normal things and especially if you can't get fuller info is it the car for you...

Old 10-15-2017, 01:22 PM

I have some ability to DIY and I have the full maintenance history. I have been in the navy as a marine engineer for the past 17 years lol. I was primarily concerned that there may be a common fault that wouldn't be solved. I'm not equipped to DIY a recurring gearbox problem.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The XF gearboxes such as the ZF6HP26 fitted to an 09 SC are generally bulletproof with effectively no history of common problems, but it is important to renew the trans fluid every 50,000 miles or so despite Jaguar saying it is "sealed for life".

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-15-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Good to know. So the gaskets being perished is a plausible reason for the fluid leaks. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Also, the 4.2 motor is pretty bullet-proof, too.

Not as much power as the 5.0, and it does have an issue with leaks in the coolant line that runs under the super charger, but it doesn't have the problems with the water pump that the 5.0s do.

The differential is a problem though. I believe it is unique and big problem when/if the axle seals begin to leak.

Look around the forum for write ups on that problem before you put $ down on the car since I think there is no fix for that problem.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 10-16-2017, 01:15 PM

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Also, the 4.2 motor is pretty bullet-proof, too.

Not as much power as the 5.0, and it does have an issue with leaks in the coolant line that runs under the super charger, but it doesn't have the problems with the water pump that the 5.0s do.

The differential is a problem though. I believe it is unique and big problem when/if the axle seals begin to leak.

Look around the forum for write ups on that problem before you put $ down on the car since I think there is no fix for that problem.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green
The fix is a new propshaft and halfshafts to accommodate the new diff. Mucho $$, I think one member on here paid over $8k at the Jag dealer. Common thinking is after this amount of time, the failures would all have been caught by now, but a quick flush and fill with new diff fluid would be in order. The failures were caused by contamination of the fluid due to the diff manufacturer not cleaning the diffs properly during manufacturing. Also the other major issue with 09's and even later years is the leather dash starting to bubble due to glue failure and a lack of staples around the center speaker. Again that fix is $2K+ at the dealer....

I have an '09 with 62k miles and love it. Only problem I have had is a leaking expansion tank and failed wheel bearing (which sounded like a diff, hence my intricate research in that area). The car does get through rear brakes, but this is not unique to the '09. I've had 3 cars with the ZF6HP26 transmission (S-type, XJ8 and now the XF). I would not use the term bullettproof. The s-type was, the XJ needed an additive to stop a fairly annoying screech which was a TSB I had to pay for. The XF is the worst, as it has a mild case of the lurch in stop/go traffic (google it). I am hoping a fluid change soon will improve matters but it is total crapshoot as to whether a particular slushbox will exhibit the lurch symptoms. By the way my car was a 2 owner with the extended warranty and had quite a bit of work done early on. Since it always went to the same dealer, they gave me a complete breakdown of all the work so far. Over the years it has had 2 new water pumps and thermostats (I guess SOP is to replace when replacing water pumps), a new radio head unit, a couple of window regulators and a couple of alignments. I spoke to both PO's and they both said they loved the car, the second owner said it was much more reliable than the brand new XJ that replaced it!!!

Last edited by timfountain; 10-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.