XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for opinions

Hey guys,

Recently I have been looking at getting a new ride and the XF-supercharged came (2010 +) up in my search of what I would consider. I basically am looking at something more family oriented, but still have a sporty-ness to it, hence the XF-S. I have also considered the S4, CTS-V, and C63.

The only thing that I feel is holding me back are the mpg's and the fact I commute around 140 miles per day. I also live in New England and snow can get crazy, especially since I work at a hospital, so the RWD makes me a tad apprehensive as well.

I have driven a 96 Camaro in the winter and obviously tires are the key to everything, but how is the snow mode and traction with these?? I've only driven AWD cars for the last decade!! These are the cars I have owned:
06 Forester
07 STi-full bolt ons
04 STi-full bolt ons
96 Z28- intake, exhaust, tune

Oh....and thinking about it, what kind of mods are common for these cars? I basically would look at intakes, exhaust and meth if these engines can support that kind of power.

So who's got opinions on if this is the right car for me?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I too have only driven all wheel, or 4W drive over the last 20 years, but I took the chance as I was too looking for sporty, design, and luxury. I live in New York in snow country. I will see soon enough. My dealer has recommended Nokian Happekkiltta R snow tires. (spelling is not likely correct). He conveyed most of his customers stay with the 20 inch setup (which is staggered). I am not sure if I am going to drop down to 19's or not, and if I go non-staggerd 19 or 20.

As far as gas mileage, not sure if any of the others you are considering are anybetter. I would expect that if you have highway miles you could expect 20 mpg, but others should weigh in as I have no experience yet with this, as my car is 4 weeks old, and I drive less than 2 miles to work. I have posted questions as to Nokian's but only received one response. Can't image the Caddy or the Mercedes can do better on gas, particulary if you mod them. There are some threads on here that cover engine mods. For about $1700 you can get up over 550 hp with an ECU tune.

I looked at 5 series BMW, with AWD, but am happy with my decision, pending winter driving. I expect I will be fine with good snows.

The following users liked this post:
MaSTi (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I too have only driven all wheel, or 4W drive over the last 20 years, but I took the chance as I was too looking for sporty, design, and luxury. I live in New York in snow country. I will see soon enough. My dealer has recommended Nokian Happekkiltta R snow tires. (spelling is not likely correct). He conveyed most of his customers stay with the 20 inch setup (which is staggered). I am not sure if I am going to drop down to 19's or not, and if I go non-staggerd 19 or 20.

As far as gas mileage, not sure if any of the others you are considering are anybetter. I would expect that if you have highway miles you could expect 20 mpg, but others should weigh in as I have no experience yet with this, as my car is 4 weeks old, and I drive less than 2 miles to work. I have posted questions as to Nokian's but only received one response. Can't image the Caddy or the Mercedes can do better on gas, particulary if you mod them. There are some threads on here that cover engine mods. For about $1700 you can get up over 550 hp with an ECU tune.

I looked at 5 series BMW, with AWD, but am happy with my decision, pending winter driving. I expect I will be fine with good snows.
Given our region all I've really used were AWD sporting Blizzaks= unstoppable in any amount of snow. That's originally why I looked at the S4, but then was open to the other 3 being RWD since I've driven the Z28 in the snow. I do consider myself a "experienced" driver.....that may push it to the limit to much. LOL. I do "test" the limits of my cars, just to see how they respond.

Good to know on the HP bump. I figure with the Eaton on the motor it can handle a bit more power. I already have a meth kit that I was going to put on my STi, but I never did it 'cause I crackd 3 rings and split a piston before I could install it. So, it's just a matter of install and tune.

Anyone know of tuners here in MA??

Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Try this thread. It's a do it yourself if no ECU shop nearby.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upgrade-64595/

The following users liked this post:
MaSTi (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Highway fuel economy is excellent, compares very favorably to my 2001 chipped S4. Mind you I have a 4.2 normally aspirated.

Winter performance is also excellent. Fit four winter tires and use the traction control settings as recommended in the owners handbook.

However, no rwd car will compare to your Subies. In fact, only SAAB compares to Subie in the two wheel drive comparison. Audi S4 is a superb car but the XF is better.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Try this thread. It's a do it yourself if no ECU shop nearby.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upgrade-64595/
Sounds similar to the Cobb AP for us Suby owners. Basically a plug and play that upgrades/re-programs the ECU but keeps it running richer to keep it safe. I assume with this product you can find a tuner and get a specific tune for your own car. I do all the work on my own cars, but I'm no tuner so this sounds like what I'd do for an ECU program.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
Highway fuel economy is excellent, compares very favorably to my 2001 chipped S4. Mind you I have a 4.2 normally aspirated.

Winter performance is also excellent. Fit four winter tires and use the traction control settings as recommended in the owners handbook.

However, no rwd car will compare to your Subies. In fact, only SAAB compares to Subie in the two wheel drive comparison. Audi S4 is a superb car but the XF is better.
Saab cheats. They use the CVT/AWD combo. Now a days the Saab's a the WRX with Saab badges. They have the same engine and chassis as the WRX, just body style and badges are swapped.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I was referring to real fwd SAABs, not the weird Saaburu cloned by GM. nobody wanted those cars. Now Toyota owns a big piece of Subaru we get a rwd Subie! Is nothing sacred?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Those toy-barus are pretty nice, just WAY under powered. AT 200hp it's rather weak in comparison to a WRX or STi. I guess the drive is similar to a miata or S2000, so fun, just not mind blowing.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Hey guys,

Recently I have been looking at getting a new ride and the XF-supercharged came (2010 +) up in my search of what I would consider. I basically am looking at something more family oriented, but still have a sporty-ness to it, hence the XF-S. I have also considered the S4, CTS-V, and C63.

The only thing that I feel is holding me back are the mpg's and the fact I commute around 140 miles per day. I also live in New England and snow can get crazy, especially since I work at a hospital, so the RWD makes me a tad apprehensive as well.

I have driven a 96 Camaro in the winter and obviously tires are the key to everything, but how is the snow mode and traction with these?? I've only driven AWD cars for the last decade!! These are the cars I have owned:
06 Forester
07 STi-full bolt ons
04 STi-full bolt ons
96 Z28- intake, exhaust, tune

Oh....and thinking about it, what kind of mods are common for these cars? I basically would look at intakes, exhaust and meth if these engines can support that kind of power.

So who's got opinions on if this is the right car for me?

Thanks in advance!!

Just remember, if you are planning on buying a CPO XF, all those mods are going to avoid your warranty.

Jaguar is a luxury car brand and replacing parts/maintenance can get very expensive without warranty.

From what i garner, XFR might be a better fit for you with the extra hp.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM

I thought about that, but even still the XFR makes the price tag go up. What's the price for exhaust and intake vs. jumping to a XFR? I'd rather risk the void of warranty vs eating that much more cash.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Gotcha. I am not sure on the numbers, but figured i would toss it out there.