Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Looks like we got Takata'd

Jaguar XF: 2009-2011

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/02/6...akata-airbags/

Running my VIN:

Owners will be notified and instructed to take their vehicle to a Jaguar authorized repairer who will fit a replacement passenger airbag. Takata, in their DIR filings from week starting 16 May 2016 state ???Takata and NHTSA are aware that remedy parts are not currently available for many of the vehicles containing inflators covered by this DIR. Takata will work closely with each vehicle manufacturer to develop an appropriate remedy for each vehicle and urge consumers to get the affected inflators replaced promptly after they are notified that a replacement is available. The Coordinated Remedy Program, being administered by the Independent Monitor, will prioritize the supply of remedy parts to the vehicles and zones that present the highest risk.??? Jaguar Land Rover will actively engage in the Coordinated Remedy Programme and replace the passenger airbags. Jaguar Land Rover will follow the agreed Recall Schedule as provided in the terms specified in the May 4, 2016 Amendment to the November 3, 2015 Consent Order in EA15-001 between NHTSA and Takata There will be no charge to owners for this repair.

May get them to put some additional staples in the dash cover while they are in there ;-)

Old 06-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Report Receipt Date: MAY 27, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V373000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 20,016

May 27 update:

SUMMARY:

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Jaguar) is recalling certain model year 2009-2011 Jaguar XF vehicles originally sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Vehicles not originally sold or ever registered in these states are not subject to this safety recall.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I used the site, checked my VIN, got this:

RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 PM

You obviously have one under the recall. I checked a past recall on a vehicle that I had done and it states "Recall Completed."

The fact of not having parts to complete a recall is really asinine. I understand the recall process and the need to warn consumers, but this current recall simply elevates anxiety among those who will be affected. To advise that motorists should be aware that their airbags may injure or kill them and then not be able to correct the issue in a timely manner speaks volumes about how parts are tested before assembly.

Imagine a drug recall where they said the medication might kill you but just go ahead and use it since there is nothing to replace it with just now. Oh wait, the pharmaceutical industry already does that!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
You obviously have one under the recall. I checked a past recall on a vehicle that I had done and it states "Recall Completed."

The fact of not having parts to complete a recall is really asinine. I understand the recall process and the need to warn consumers, but this current recall simply elevates anxiety among those who will be affected. To advise that motorists should be aware that their airbags may injure or kill them and then not be able to correct the issue in a timely manner speaks volumes about how parts are tested before assembly.

Imagine a drug recall where they said the medication might kill you but just go ahead and use it since there is nothing to replace it with just now. Oh wait, the pharmaceutical industry already does that!
With the amount of airbags that have been and will need to be replaced over the next few years it is no surprise they do not have replacements ready, this way if you get killed they can say well we did inform you. Lucky for us the passenger side airbags in our Edge and XFR need replaced .

This is going to take a ton of time to get literally millions of air bags around the world replaced.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

And it looks like they are prioritising replacement based on "danger" based on "hotter climate" - "will prioritize the supply of remedy parts to the vehicles and zones that present the highest risk"

But yes, with millions of vehicles involved this is going to take some time....

Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
And it looks like they are prioritising replacement based on "danger" based on "hotter climate" - "will prioritize the supply of remedy parts to the vehicles and zones that present the highest risk"

But yes, with millions of vehicles involved this is going to take some time....
Heat and humidity the perfect combination for those of us in Houston to get kicked to the front of the line .

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Ammonium Nitrate is the compound used to deploy the airbags (High Explosive fertilizer)

.to put it into perspective, a small panel truck full of the stuff, did this to the Murrah Federal building, down town Oklahoma City...(Domestic terrorism)

Last edited by DPK; 06-03-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by boiler
With the amount of airbags that have been and will need to be replaced over the next few years it is no surprise they do not have replacements ready, this way if you get killed they can say well we did inform you. Lucky for us the passenger side airbags in our Edge and XFR need replaced .

This is going to take a ton of time to get literally millions of air bags around the world replaced.
80 + Million at last count and growing!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
Heat and humidity the perfect combination for those of us in Houston to get kicked to the front of the line .
Me too! °106 today.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
Report Receipt Date: MAY 27, 2016
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V373000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 20,016

May 27 update:

SUMMARY:

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Jaguar) is recalling certain model year 2009-2011 Jaguar XF vehicles originally sold, or ever registered, in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Vehicles not originally sold or ever registered in these states are not subject to this safety recall.

Does this mean that Jaguar was somehow able to ascertain that cars sold in other states, have air bags that are OK, or that the other states aren't pushing the recall?

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Does this mean that Jaguar was somehow able to ascertain that cars sold in other states, have air bags that are OK, or that the other states aren't pushing the recall?
The inflators modules that are most likely to fail are those that have been exposed to excessive heat and moisture. Thus, those that have been purchased or used in these states or climates have the greatest failure potential and are first on the recall list. I would hazard a guess that other recalls will take effect in the future after those with the greatest potential for failure are completed.

If I had a vehicle from a flood or heavy humidity state it would be in the recall I suppose.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys I need your help. My Air deployed this morning for apparent reason. I own a 2010 Jaguar XF SC this is my 3rd Jaguar. In the past I have owned a S type and I currently have a 2005 Jaguar XJR. This morning I backed my vehicle out of the garage and proceeded down the street when all of a sudden my airbag went off. There is no front, rear or side damage to my vehicle. I called Jaguar corporate office and received a case number# I'm currently waiting on road side assistance to transport my vehicle to the dealership. The jaguar dealership stated they never had this happen. which is BS.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM

If you hit a pothole with sufficient force, an airbag can deploy. Remember the airbag deployment is triggered by an accelerometer which measures the forward momentum of the vehicle and deceleration. Whether there have been cases with Jaguar, I don't know but there certainly have been with other vehicles.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag400
to transport my vehicle to the dealership. The jaguar dealership stated they never had this happen. which is BS.
Sorry to hear of your incident. Was there a pothole, kerb or large bump in the road that could have triggered it?

What makes you say it's BS that the dealer hasn't seen this before? I've been on this forum for 3+ years and others before that and don't ever recall an airbag deployment at random like that. Any reason to think they would lie about that? Even if accidental or a defect it doesn't seem to be a common issue

Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 PM

Hey guys I need your help. My Air deployed this morning for apparent reason. I own a 2010 Jaguar XF SC this is my 3rd Jaguar. In the past I have owned a S type and I currently have a 2005 Jaguar XJR. This morning I backed my vehicle out of the garage and proceeded down the street when all of a sudden my airbag went off. There is no front, rear or side damage to my vehicle. I called Jaguar corporate office and received a case number# I'm currently waiting on road side assistance to transport my vehicle to the dealership. The jaguar dealership stated they never had this happen. which is BS.
Check the recalls on NHTSA for your vehicle. There are a number for the XJ vehicle but I do not know what model you have. If there is an airbag recall it should show.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information guys. The dealership came back with this response. The clock spring over heated and cause the airbag light to come on and stay on, however with that being said the clock spring with such high heat made the air bag deploy without warning. The dealership stated that they never had this happen before. So now I'm waiting to see who will be paying for the repair. I do have an extended warranty for 90 months 100,000 but it does not cover the clock springs or any plastic parts. Towing to the dealership cost me $3.00 USD because I was 1 mile over the limit.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I can see a warranty maybe excluding breaks in plastic parts under "normal" circumstances but what caused the overheating - electrical fault ? Did you notice any airbag warning in the dash before the bag deployed ? I'd open up a case with JaguarUSA and see what they might be able to do with the dealer if it really is "we've never seen this before" and your car is on the recall model list.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

. The clock spring over heated and cause the airbag light to come on and stay on, however with that being said the clock spring with such high heat made the air bag deploy without warning. .
For me, the question begs to be asked..What the hell is "The Clock Spring"?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:47 AM

I agree with stmcknig. I would open a case with Jaguar USA as there may be an extended warranty on safety equipment.

Most importantly, file a complaint with NHTSA and describe what happened, that your vehicle was disabled, towed, and what the dealer told you. Complaints to NHTSA can be a powerful force in getting your repairs completed as NHTSA advises the manufacturer of every complaint and defect that is sent to them. Website is Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Cheers and good luck!