XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lots more brake dust on rear wheels then front

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Lots more brake dust on rear wheels then front

My wife's 13 XF (new to us 6 months ago) seems to have a rear brake dust problem. Very noticable between washes, fronts seem about what I would expect. Anybody else notice this or is the e brake or calipers possibly sticking? Seems odd to me that it would be both sides if it was calipers to both stick at the same time. Car is under warranty still but from my experience Jaguar dealers have been worthless. Can't even find a TSB so I am not so sure I would trust 'em actually doing work.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

The XF brakes are notorious for the rears (both pads and rotors) wearing much faster than the fronts, which may explain the extra dust on the rears in your case.
The main reason is the built in "anti-dive" in the XF braking system, which applies the rear brakes a bit earlier and a bit harder than the front brakes under medium to heavy braking.
Another reason is the way the EPB operates.
The solution to XF brake dust problems is to dump the incredibly dusty stock pads and fit ceramic pads, I did this on my old 2010 XFS and was very happy with the result.
I used Power Stop Z17 Evolution pads.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Cool thanks for the reply and it makes sense. Only real thought I had was the ebrake was sticking. Don't notice any drag but of course on most cars the fronts dust up quicker. Yeah I've been using Akabono Ceramics on my XK8 and XJR for years. Sure they dust just as much but it just blends in a bit better.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The XF brakes are notorious for the rears (both pads and rotors) wearing much faster than the fronts, which may explain the extra dust on the rears in your case.
The main reason is the built in "anti-dive" in the XF braking system, which applies the rear brakes a bit earlier and a bit harder than the front brakes under medium to heavy braking.
Another reason is the way the EPB operates.
The solution to XF brake dust problems is to dump the incredibly dusty stock pads and fit ceramic pads, I did this on my old 2010 XFS and was very happy with the result.
I used Power Stop Z17 Evolution pads.
UHM true except under light braking aka female braking which also tends to glaze the pads and rotors causing noise as well. many new cars have this feature now and is much more noticeable for light brakers, you know the ones. start braking qtr mile before a stop, hit their brakes constantly and even when someone brakes in the lane next to them or on the other side of the road

Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
UHM true except under light braking aka female braking which also tends to glaze the pads and rotors causing noise as well. many new cars have this feature now and is much more noticeable for light brakers, you know the ones. start braking qtr mile before a stop, hit their brakes constantly and even when someone brakes in the lane next to them or on the other side of the road
I wish she was light on the brakes. She scares me behind the wheel. I don't drive the thing all that much as I find it like driving a silver washing machine. Nothing exciting about it but it gets you from point a to point b.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

It's also possible you have different types of pad on front and on rear. I've always found a lot mor dust on the front so I switched to a much less dusty aftermarket pad set from posiquiet