XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

low whistle on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default low whistle on acceleration

I know this is a common topic on auto forums, and there are a lot of potential causes. If there is anyone here who has had similar symptoms, and had the problem solved, please let me know.

SYMPTOMS:
Low-pitched whistle from engine, especially on acceleration.
Pitch around 500Hz: pitch never changes; loudness is affected by degree of acceleration, NOT engine/car speed, or road surface.
First noticed around 3000 miles, now have about 5000 miles.
Happens frequently, not all the time; once it starts, it generally continues until the end of trip.
Happens at all speeds, 0>70mph, if accelerating.
Barely audible at constant speeds, depending on road/wind noise and radio.

This is one of those things that the dealer may not be able to duplicate, since it doesn't happen all the time and may need the engine to have run several miles. Any suggestions I can give them will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Are you positive it's from the engine??
The is going to sound crazy, but when i got my car, i would hear the same especially with the windows down.
I finallly figured out it was the outside left mirror. Just the way it's designed, once you start accelarting the wind would make this sharp whistle.

Just an FYI.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
The is going to sound crazy, but when i got my car, i would hear the same especially with the windows down.
I finallly figured out it was the outside left mirror. Just the way it's designed, once you start accelarting the wind would make this sharp whistle.

Just an FYI.
I get this too, but it is hard to work out what conditions cause it. It seems to be somewhat dependent on air temp/humidity and happens at a particular speed. From the OP's description, what he is hearing is something quite different.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Dick,

This kind of noise can drive you nuts until you find the cause. Even more annoying when passengers don't hear anything but once you've heard it your ears are tuned for it all the time.

Good luck.

Graham

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the responses. Darlo is right, I can hear this from 0 mph under moderate throttle.

Stopped by the dealer today. Technician rode with me and couldn't hear anything unusual; but then, I'm a musician and my ears have tuned in on this sound. Service Advisor then drove and gave me a 20-minute ride I'll never forget, mostly 2nd/3rd gears. His conclusion - the car works great, he couldn't hear anything unusual, and what I'm hearing is the normal air intake resonance. Of course, when he was driving, I couldn't hear much over the exhaust throbbing. I guess I just have to drive it harder...

I was pleased with the amount of time and attention they gave.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I bet it's the same sound i have been experiencing. Next time it happens, just put your hand out by the outside mirror(between the mirror and the door) as you driving, the sound should stop.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive

Just an FYI.
I get same whistle from outside drivers door mirror. I now know why my BMW had little fins on it's mirrors.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks, guys.

This noise (hum or whistle), when I could hear it, started at standstill with heavy throttle. I could only hear it when it was very quiet in the car (like riding with someone else and talking), and listening for it; otherwise, the sound of the stereo covered it up.

My main concern was that it might be have been the start of something serous - intake obstruction, hole or crack, etc. The Technician and Service Advisor couldn't hear anything they didn't condider normal engine sounds, so I've quit worrying about it.

I've only driven it about 30 miles since the Service Advisor "exercised" it, but I haven't heard it since. My imagination also tells me the exhaust sounds nicer now...

Thanks again for your interest.